159 Flat Battery! And door lock query?

Started by Victor Lee, April 24, 2009, 11:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Lee

Hi all,

Just want to share wifey's flat battery experience yesterday. 

Our 159 3.2 is only 2.5 years old and we just did a faultless trip to Alfesta (Orange, NSW) and back.  Yesterday morning, started up well and good.  Yesterday arvo in Chadstone shopping centre ... dead as as dodo.  Apparently the instrument lights were flashing like Christmas tree!

Only just had enough power to central lock all the doors.  Now here's another interesting point ... how would you lock the doors on a 159 if there is no electrical power?  You can extract the manual key from the starter "key" and lock the driver's door from the outside, but how do you lock the other three doors?  There are no "lock knobs" (whatever u call them!) on the inside door trim!

Anyway, I reckon it's pretty poor that a battery has failed in 2.5 years.  And we don't have extra electrical gadgets that will draw extra power (amps and the like) and the external lights automatically turn off when the key is removed!

The RACV man (Total Care...which I bought before the trip to Orange...indicates my confidence level  ;)) says the alternator was fine but battery was definately dead.

Anyone else had similar experience in their Alfas?  Or perhaps just our bad luck with a dud Alfa battery?  If it is the former, then other new Alfa owners should have their batteries checked!

Cheers

Victor

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Paul Gulliver

Victor,

I had the same issue with my August 2006 159 2.2 JTS earlier this year. Unlocked the car to go to work, key in ignition them nothing. However as you noted the ensuring lightshow on the dashboard must have been using enough current to power a third world country. As there was no advance warning (ie slower crank speed etc) I think the moral of the story is to replace the battery at 2 / 2.5 years because no matter how good the battery is it will fail before 3 years 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

alfagtv58

That sucks....however, on this thread Doug says that a battery should give you about 3 years life, after that you're on bonus time.  That surprised me at the time, but given Doug's history in this industry.....who am I to argue!!

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Victor Lee

We'll see how long the RACV battery lasts for!

Anybody has views on the door locks?  (Or is there something in the instruction manual that we've missed?)

Cheers
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Evan Bottcher

We've had two battery failures on the 156. First was i think the original battery after about 6 years. Second was a faulty replacement (subsequently replaced under warranty). Both times the full laser light show christmas tree on the dash, accompanied by clicking under the bonnet. Both times there was still enough power to lock the central locking. Very little warning. I had noticed a slight hesitance to turn over the day before but thought i must have been imagining things. They seem to last pretty well here in aus really.. I used to replace batteries on our 33 every 18 months in the uk.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal