Baffled Sump pics and info

Started by Fetta GTV, October 27, 2011, 09:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetta GTV

Hi all

Does anyone have some pics of their baffled pump?
I need to do mine at some stage before heading out on the track and was wondering how others have done it.

Cheers
David
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Paul Gulliver

David,

I stand to be corrected, but if your only going to do club sprints as a starting point , I don't think it will be necessay.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

I'll have a go at correcting you Gully  :P

I've heard stories of folk killing engines even on their first day out at club sprints - the boxer engine is legendarily susceptible to surge unless you put some extra baffling in the sump.  Sounds like some people get away with just overfilling the sump, but I'd be nervous.

Sorry I don't have any photos.  I have a large square sump that was built by Bob Whitehouse who used to be in Qld, with extra box sections and baffles.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Ray Pignataro

Evan I agree with you the standard sump is not made to do any track work. The sump you have is ideal. if you run an oil cooler the sump must have a greater then standard capacity. Frank Musco makes a very nice baffled sump.

Sportscar Nut

Also sorry I don't have any photos but agree fully with Evan & Ray's comments as a non baffled sump cost me a motor circa 18 years back. I then (after an engine change to 1.7 8 valve) had the standard sump baffled by Beninca's in Melb and have only had the oil light come on once since! If doing a lot of track work, would fit a larger sump - similar to what Evan described.

All the best.
Paul

Evan Bottcher

Here's a pic of the outside of my sump to illustrate.  Not much use to the OP's question though...

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Fetta GTV

Thanks for the feedback.
Confirms I really need to do it before venturing out on the track
Great looking sump Evan, what is you new oil capacity?
1979 Alfetta GTV

Fetta GTV

Had a bit of a search on alfaowner.com
Found these, pics not real good, what are your thoughts
1979 Alfetta GTV

Ray Pignataro

I like the top one better but both are good

Evan Bottcher

The top one is a two piece alloy unit like a 105. I think they were made in a limited run years ago somewhere in Europe. Never seen one for sale.

The bottom one is roughly what mine looks like inside, although that is for a 16v with the return tubes.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Paul Gulliver

Well , I might just pick my self up off the floor and have another go. Dave i should have asked the question are you taking your Alfetta GTV or Alfa Sud on to the track. I agree with all of the above if it is the Sud but i don't still don't think many of your garden variety sprinters in standard class with a Nord engine have a baffled sump.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Fetta GTV

Sorry to confuse you Paul
I won't be racing the alfetta GTV, I wouldnt want to hurt it.
Thats why I got the Sprint(sud), something to have some fun in on the track
1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

And i have a close relation who recently lost his Sud due to a wayward Hyundai, he ran the bearings in his Sud 4 days after he bought it, he did it on the ROAD, not on the track, ring me on 0407 090 826 for who is good at baffling Sud and 33 sumps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Fetta GTV

Thanks Colin
I'll give you a ring when I get to taking the sump off. I'm just cleaning and sorting a bit of rust at the moment
Are your contacts in Melbourne?
Thanks again
David
1979 Alfetta GTV

Frank Musco

David, this is a 16v baffled sump which is the same as I have in my race car. I remove the original baffle, weld a new baffle lower in the sump, then weld the removed baffle higher. This has worked for me over the years, although I have seen the oil light come on when the oil gets half a litre below the full line, so I like to run the oil half a litre over full to compensate for oil usage during runs.

If your welding it up yourself, I highly recommend spending the extra time and add the extra volume like Evans sump. I would also do it if you intend on fitting an oil cooler. Just watch your exhaust clearance!