Re: Hi

Started by lombardi, March 05, 2009, 06:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

Hi everyone, I want to share with you all a horror story that happened recently. i will begin.bought a 105 1750 veloce 1968,flew to melbourne from sydney to pick up.owner kept saying how good it was,came to pick me up and my son from tullamarine,car seemed ok,a few blemishes but for 6k its ok.payd moneys and drove off,spent the day driving around melbourne,car went well,did all my checks,id bought many alfas before.anyhow woke up early next morning,started drive up the hume back to sydney.car went perfectly until about 50ks south of albury,suddenly it started overheating,i started nursing the car,hope to make it to albury and a  mechanic,but i should have not kept driving at all,the rngine suddenly died at a truck stop.phoned nrma,it took them 4 and a half hours to get to us,they where arguingon who would pick me up,it was astinker about 40 c. nearly died.make a long story short,car ended up at howlong service station wich is part of nrma,wanted to get car towed back to sydney,they wanted 1300 dollars for tow due to car not driveable.i then decided to get car fixed at albury where i had the engine rebuiltreplaced
NEW PISTONS AND LINER KITS
REHARDEN AND STRAIGHTEN CYL HEAD
ALL NEW VALVES AND INSERTS
GUIDES ULP COMPATIBLE
LINISH CRANK NEW B/E AND MAIN BEARINGS
NEW THRUSTS
NEW TIMING CHAINS
FULL ENGINE GASKET + OIL FILTER
REDO RADIATOR
NEW HOSES
NEW NGK SPARK PLUGS
ALL NEW ENGINE BOLTS
RUNNING IN OIL ETC.  COST $5900
did i get ripped off,my mecahinc in sydney thinks so,what do u think,car does run beatifully and i am happy,the moral is though,i should have got car towed in the first place fro melbourne and not driven myself,u learn from your mistakes. 
NOW I WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE FROM U KIND ALFA NUTS LIKE ME,
WHAT OIL SHOULD I USE,THERES SO MANY DIFFERENT ARGUMENTS AND OPINIONS AROUND,SOME PEOPLE SAY USE FULL MINERAL 20-50,AS THIS IS WHAT CAR HAD OUT OF MILANO FACTORY,AND OTHERS SAY SINCE ITS NEW ENGINE USE SYNTHENTIC,I WANT TO KEEP CAR FOR A LONG TIME SO I WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR CAR.
ALSO WHAT PETROL GRADE SHOULD I USE,MY ALFA MECHANIC SAYS NORMAL UNLEADED IS FINE,BUT OTHERS SAY USE PREMIUM,PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THESE SUBJECTS,ALSO ANY OTHER INFO WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED.
CIAO TUTTI,VIVA L'ITALIA,AUGURI
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Paul Gulliver

Sorry to hear your story, Just a few thoughts

1. I personally may of had a different expectation when purchasing a 40 year old car. At $6,000 for a 105 step nose your are lucky to get a running example, let alone something you would embark on an interstate trip first off.

2. As John Hanslow is always saying pre purchase inspection $$$ spent on any alfa from a  reliable source is always money well spent.

3. I have got two older alfa's 105 GTV & 116 GTV the most important part of the annual budget to run these cars is the most expensive membership i can buy from the RACV total care ($176.00 p/a) which covers amongst other things.

" assistance when over 100km from home
Should you be on a longer journey and your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident, RACV will contribute up to $2,400 (per incident) towards a pool of benefits to assist you while your car is being repaired.  These include any combination of the following:

assistance when over 100km from home
Should you be on a longer journey and your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident, RACV will contribute up to $2,400 (per incident) towards a pool of benefits to assist you while your car is being repaired.  These include any combination of the following:

Accommodation
Rental vehicle
Taxi fare (up to a limit of 3 trips of $80 each)"
Alternative transport.

I'm sure the NMRA in NSW will have somthing similar.

PS: I purchased the 116 GTV  in Tasmania last year. Picked up the car late on the friday night ,driving from Launceston to Devonport to get on the ferry. The bloody thing just stopped ( engine running but won't proceed).Sitting on the side of the road wondering what i had just brought and what was going to happen next.!!!

Rang the number on my RACV card. Call answered in Hobart service car dispatched from Devonport going again in 35 minutes . The best $176.00 i spent last year. 

Hope your car is going well  and starts giving you the smiles that these older cars can generate.

Cheers

Paul 
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

dehne

Hi there  i would use either penrite 20 - 50 or bp course plus i run this in my road 90 and race 90 and find it to be great and do not use anything below 95 ron unless you do want to get ur engine done in syd as well. 98 ron is better as it has a lube in it that helps with something (its like flash lube) ive gone blank.  hope this helps
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

alfagtv58

I have split this topic......no need to hijack the other thread.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

lombardi

HI, guys,thanks for your valuable input.it is much appreciated,by the way,i absolutely love the car,goes like a dream,it has so much personality,drives and responses like no other,im in love,i am absolutely gobsmacked how advanced these cars must have been in theyr time,whe are talking 40 years ago,cars of today just dont have that feeling of proud pleaseure and class. ciao angelo
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999