Drivers door mirror locking position

Started by Anth73, July 19, 2020, 09:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Hi Anth
I think Sportiva meant that the mirrors are not interchangable in lieu of adjustable between LHS and RHS. Having said this I expect that once you are able to reposition the mirror to the next/middle detent you should be fine. Had a real close examination of my RHS mirror and could not distinguish the markings due to small crack and years of deteriation see photos of both mirrors viewed from front of vehicle.

Anth73

Confirmed my mirror has three positions it locks into. The first is parallel to the car with the mirror facing outwards. The second is the angle shown in my earlier photo that results in the mirror showing the C-pillar and rear quarter window area, not very useful as a drivers side mirror. The third position would require the drivers window to be down and the mirror would be inside the car!

Clearly something is amiss. Here's a photo of the part number for the base. At this stage I'm left scratching my head...
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

bonno

Hi Anth
Check to see whether the spigot has not sheared at the base or else, it is highly probable that you have a LHD RHS mirror as the driver position makes sense for your initial installation/post. To prove my point sit in passenger seat and see the difference in rear view visability. 

Anth73

Quote from: bonno on July 22, 2020, 03:40:50 PM
Hi Anth
Check to see whether the spigot has not sheared at the base or else, it is highly probable that you have a LHD RHS mirror as the driver position makes sense for your initial installation/post. To prove my point sit in passenger seat and see the difference in rear view visability.

Funnily enough I just sat in the passenger seat. Bingo! Perfect view down the RHS of the car so yes, it's a LHD RHS mirror.
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual

GTVeloce

Old thread but I have extra to add that might be useful.

I have two sets of mirrors for a GTV/6 and currently have both LHS mirrors off and one RHS mirror off. Both my RHS mirrors are fine but one of the LHS mirror works well and the other is angled wrong, as per discussed earlier. I did wonder if it was partly a RHS mirror that had been modified to work on the LHS but when I look underneath, the stamped numbers are identical (all three mirrors have the same number) however, the RHS ends with DS and the both LHS mirrors end with SN. I am fairly confident DS is short for destra (right in Italian) and SN is short for sinistra (left in Italian).

Therefore it is very likely one of my LHS mirrors is from a LHD car.

Anth73

Your Italian is correct and confirms the SN stamped on my mirror. Bravo!
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual