Roll Cages For Sprint Cars

Started by John Toomath, October 13, 2008, 11:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Toomath

I'm looking for the benefit of years of experience and contacts to summarize for me the lowdown on roll cages.  I'm in my first season of sprints with my stripped out, but still road legal (I hope), Pace/Koni suspended, R type tyred, lowish budget 75 V6.  After seeing the great coverage of the East Coast Challenge, the rolled Sud at Pukekoe and a rolled Mini at Bathurst, I have become more interested in participating in a broader range of events and improving the strength of the car .  Having taken the headlining out, it is now blatantly obvious that the main function of the roof is to keep the rain out, rather than form a solid protective structure.

Since there is no one on the sponsors page in this field, hopefully people can make recommendations on preferred suppliers.  The more I looked at websites and CAMS material, the more confused I got.  My questions include:

1)  Is a half cage an option or are they only acceptable for those that already have them?
2)  Is there an accepted appropriate design for our level of motorsport?
3)  What are the pros and cons around weld in and bolt in cages?
4)  Are cars road legal with cages in Victoria?
5)  Would the recommended design change if during the remaining life of the car it may end up with a 164 or 24 valve V6 in it?
6)  Who offers a good reputation and balance of product and price?
7)  What budget expectation should I be thinking of?
8)  What weight penalty do you have to accept?

Please offer your contributions to any of the questions you have an opinion on.  I tried a search on the forum without success, so don't think this has been covered recently.

Thanks,
John
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

alfagtv58

Good questions John, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.  But I would be interested in seeing some more opinions and better educated answers from other members also....

1)  Is a half cage an option or are they only acceptable for those that already have them?
           Yes they certainly are an option, but I thing they are probably more aimed at cars like a Spider or an MX5 etc.
           Not to my knowledge, but in the 75 I would put a 6 point with a couple of strategic brace points
           I am no expert on this, and it kind of comes down to FIA/CAMS regs and what stage they are at as to what is acceptable and what is not (may as well built it to log book it to open up your options of what you can do with the car, the 75 would be a good 3J car)
           Yes, as long as there is appropriate access in and out of the doors.....Best to qualify this from Vic Roads however.
5)  Would the recommended design change if during the remaining life of the car it may end up with a 164 or 24 valve V6 in it?
            No difference in cage design.
            Mark Jamieson at Eastern Racing Fabrications. 0419 696 660
            How long is that piece of string? 2-3K????
            How important is your safety?  Weight will be somewhat offset by removal of carpets, underfelt, tar.  Not to mention the gained strength of the chassis and how much better the car will handle as a result

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Gary Pearce

John I couldn't recommend higher, the quality, price and workmanship from Colin Byrne. He made and fitted my cage to CAMS spec.
Trouble is, would he design and make one for a 75. You could ask him?
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Gary Pearce on October 14, 2008, 11:52:05 AM
John I couldn't recommend higher, the quality, price and workmanship from Colin Byrne. He made and fitted my cage to CAMS spec.

Well I know he won't do a cage for a 90.... >:(

Fast Eddie

John,
another tip re "roadworthiness" of a roll caged car in VIC - you should have the "seating capacity" record of fact changed on your VicRoads file to a 2-seater as it is illegal in Vic to sit passengers in the rear of a car fitted with ROPS.

Not a difficult task, you can do this at any VICRoads office without taking the car with you as there is a record amendment form that has this as a recognised option.
(if they want to see the car - to ensure the rear seatbelts have been removed and bolts welded into the resulting holes, do as i did and  rock up in my suit and told em i have to drive customerss around all day in my work car so it wasnt possible to bring the "race" car" in, which the supervisor accepted allowing me to sign a "stat-dec" stating that i would bever permit anyone to sit in the rear of the car.

Getting pulled over with your records still showing up as a 4 seater technically is a roadworthiness failure and you can be "canaried".

I've made this record change in VIC twice.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

The first questions is whether you ever intend to compete in an event that requires a roll or safety cage  - ie. a race or tarmac rally

If the answer is yes then you can only install a cage based on Schedule J of the CAMS manual.  In a 75 this would be a 6 point (minimum) cage using a combination of the designs in the manual or if you wanted to use cromoly then you would need an engineer or a previously homologated design (very expensive).

Technically any cage used in a CAMS event must comply with schedule J or have stewards approval, however this rule is seldom enforced.

If it will only ever be used at sprints then in reality you do have more freedom however I would not suggest doing anything other than what is in Schedule J.

Answers below:
Quote from: John Toomath on October 13, 2008, 11:03:40 PM

Schedule J only allows a half cage in an open car (MX5, MG etc)  however for sprints this would be better than nothing even in a closed car.  You cannot do any event that requires a roll cage in a closed car with a half cage.  As i said better than nothing but does not comply with Schedule J.

Schedule J of the CAMS manual, and within that there is a minimum design.  Again as there is no requirement for a cage at a sprint event and given the non-enforcement at sprint events of the requirement for schedule j cage where a cage is fitted, you could vary this design however I think to vary from the designs in the manual without an engineer is dangerous and would add/save nothing.  The minimum CAMS design is a good comprimise between weight and protection.  This design is a 6 point cage, bracing to the the main hoop, side intrusion bars and roof bracing.  I would also add bracing to the backstays and to the firewall.

This is the design I have used in a number of GTV's and GTV6's.  Don't forget that in racing events where cages are mandatory, racing increases the risk of rollover becuase of the increased likelihood due to cars being in close proximity - it doesn't change the consequence of the rollover - a rollover at a sprint event can be just as bad as a rollover at a race - it's just less likely.  A design that is minmum for racing is just as applicable for sprints.

Welded are stronger, bolt in can be removed but are much more expensive.  If the car is a race car, ie it will never ever go back to be a "road" car then weld the thing in.  Stonger and cheaper.

Yes, they can be but there are certain criteria - eg side intrusion bars must be no higher than the base of the seat.  The cage builder can advise - there is also a leaflet available from Vicroads - i have attached a version from 2000 which i think is still current (whoop's - file too big - can't attach - go to vicroads website).  Ditto Ed's comments.

Probably not.  The basic design discussed above would be fine.  Schedule J applies across all classes of racing and types of vehicles.

Agree with Phil.  Mark is a genius with metal and has done a lot of alfa's.

I'd budget $3k.

For the basic design probably adding around 30-40kgs but you could offset that somewhat with removal of the intrusion bars in the doors.

Please offer your contributions to any of the questions you have an opinion on.  I tried a search on the forum without success, so don't think this has been covered recently.

Thanks,
John
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

John Toomath

QuoteJohn I couldn't recommend higher, the quality, price and workmanship from Colin Byrne. He made and fitted my cage to CAMS spec.

Do you think that if I mention that my Dad has had a step nose 105 since 1972 that might sway him?  ;)  How else do you think I caught this alfaitis from the age of 8?  :)

Thanks for the input clearing much of the regulatory fog. The thorough answers and recommendations are appreciated.  Looks like I'll have to commit myself to another 10 years with the car to average the cost out. Low though the risk is in the sprint format we run, I'd prefer not to have an "if only" moment. I'm not really an on the edge racer, but would like to enjoy pushing towards the boundaries of my limited capabilities and also be able to consider other formats.
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

Brad M

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on October 14, 2008, 01:49:18 PM
Well I know he won't do a cage for a 90.... >:(
Surely the payment of a 90 would have swayed him  ;)
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Fast Eddie

Just one?  What for one side intrusion bar? ;D
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5