GTV Rarity

Started by gtvsix86, September 24, 2018, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtvsix86

I was reading the attachment Magazine and was shocked at how many Alfetta GTV's are still on the road in the UK....... Only 38! Not too many 75's and 164's either. Good to keep this in the back of your mind when thinking of the value of our cars. Sorry about the poor quality image I had to resize it to post it

gtvsix86

MODERN CLASSICS MAGAZINE

Paul Newby

Does the 38 refer to GTV6s or all Alfetta GTVs? I doubt that there would be more than a handful of steel bumper Alfetta GT or GTVs that survive in the UK. The salt that they put on the road there and the intrinsically low values of Alfetta GTVs over many years would have seen to that.

It is a very different story here in Australia where the survival rate is much higher, albeit a lot of Alfettas have either been turned into race cars or wrecked for parts because for many years they weren't worth very much.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Alfetta77

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Makes the hassle of keeping to originality (or at least retaining / sourcing all the original parts) feel a bit more worthwhile!
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

Garibaldi

The values of these cars are starting to rise.

With some good 105 series coupes now getting close to six figures it is only a matter of time before the Alfetta GTVs, particularly the early chrome bumper models, prices start to increase rapidly.

So if you are lucky enough to have one of these hang onto it, it's a great investment.  8)

Paul Gulliver

This subject was covered a few years ago under the heading "Alfetta GT stocks are rising". That topic featured an  interesting tool          www.howmanyareleft.co.uk

This is where the magic number 38 came from . Quick check now reveals that the number is  now 35.

In answer to Paul Newby's question , the site doesn't distinguish between GT , GTV , GTV6. So who knows.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Citroënbender

I tend to use howmanyleft.co.uk but believe both include SORN titles so it's not an accurate reflection of how many of a particular make or model are actually "on the road".

poohbah

I wish we had a similar registry here in Australia. I'd love to know how many are left here. Knowing could potentially add thousands to the asking price if we could advertise our cars as "one of only XX left on the road".

I really am now becoming confident that I will one day have a car worth more than I have spent on it!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

philpot

Hi gtvsix86,

Thnx for the heads up on these numbers, I just did the same for Suds and 33's and have added the links to the 900 series page.

How accurate do people think these figures are? Does the uk have a club permit scheme and is that linked to this data?

Oh,  their figures for Sud's:   90

33's:   47

With only 17 16V's   

:o

1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

GG105

Gents, rarity, although its helpful, doesn't necessarily translate to value.

For capital appreciation, as with all assets, value only increases as does demand. Its hard for me to see Alfetta prices ever eclipsing 105s, mostly because of the more compromised driving experience. The crap build quality doesn't help either.

Regrettably, most of the value will be in mint, original GTV6s..The four cylinder cars are the better driving experience, but they are too slow and lack the charisma of the V6s.
1959 Giulietta Sprint
1969 GT 1300 Junior
1970 Giulia 1300 TI
1975 Ferrari 365 GT4
1990 Mazda MX5
2005 BMW 330Ci
2014 Porsche Turbo

aggie57

Quote from: GG105 on September 24, 2018, 10:19:55 PM

For capital appreciation, as with all assets, value only increases as does demand. Its hard for me to see Alfetta prices ever eclipsing 105s, mostly because of the more compromised driving experience. The crap build quality doesn't help either.

Regrettably, most of the value will be in mint, original GTV6s..The four cylinder cars are the better driving experience, but they are too slow and lack the charisma of the V6s.

Personally the early GT/GTV's have a purity of style and driving that is compromised in the later GTV and the GTV6.  Yes, a GTV6 is faster (although in standard form by surprisingly little in the real world) and yes the engine has a wonderful sound.  But having owned and driven both over several years and many km's if the choice now was a standard-as-produced-by-Alfa version then it would be an early GT or perhaps an early steel number GTV.  Wonderful, underrated cars.

I do agree though, the way 105 prices are at the moment it's hard to imagine 116 series coupes getting close in actual $ value.

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

gtvsix86

Value to me wasn't the price of sale that some are replying about but the Value of retaining the car especially if you have a well sorted one. Also those that are now embarking on big restorations (Myself included) like some have done with the 105's it helps soften the blow knowing that there aren't many left and the Value's could catch up with the spend in the long run. Anyways enjoy them if you have one because they are getting harder to find especially good ones.

philpot

Quote from: gtvsix86 on September 25, 2018, 11:20:44 AM
Value to me wasn't the price of sale that some are replying about but the Value of retaining the car especially if you have a well sorted one. Also those that are now embarking on big restorations (Myself included) like some have done with the 105's it helps soften the blow knowing that there aren't many left and the Value's could catch up with the spend in the long run. Anyways enjoy them if you have one because they are getting harder to find especially good ones.

Well said.  My thoughts exactly  :)
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

GeeTV

Quote from: GG105 on September 24, 2018, 10:19:55 PM

'Driving experience' can be subjective and I can't imagine 'build quality' being a major driving factor for Mr Average Joe making a vintage car purchase.
It's more likely a fond childhood memory/passion/experience coupled with the financial ability - All of which can often culminate with age.

The age of the 116 is probably still on the horizon?

Citroënbender

Quote from: GeeTV on September 26, 2018, 01:33:21 PM
'Driving experience' can be subjective and I can't imagine 'build quality' being a major driving factor for Mr Average Joe making a vintage car purchase.
It's more likely a fond childhood memory/passion/experience coupled with the financial ability - All of which can often culminate with age.
So true! And always (to me) a bit sad when something noted as a "driver's car" becomes too valuable in the eyes of most investor-owners for taking on a proper drive.