The silver105 in for some work !

Started by Silver105, May 08, 2017, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver105

Hello all,

Just thought I would share a post about my 105. I paid too much for her at the time and didn't really know what I should have been looking for outside of the usual a rust issues, bog patch up jobs and and I thought I had a good one as I had complete photos of the resto. But then going to spectacollo you quickly notice all the imperfections. So after searching for a good panel shop for some time, I have found someone I thought I would share as he is a mad Alfisti and does some amazing work.

Vito at Polo Body Works in Braeside Victoria. Check them out of Facebook and you'll see the show cars custom cars he has done and also the ongoing restoration of his own 73 105 GTV. Check out the blue 105, that is Vito's and looks amazing.

This is the before shots and I'll post some progress shots in due course as she is getting complete respray after fixing some panels and getting a facelift .

Silver105

Progress report, work has started now that Vito has finished this gorgeous 105 which was in the que before mine. He has a step nose GTA Replica that is also in for a full restoration. Photos of mine to follow

Silver105

Work has started....some photos of my silver princess... little bit of a facelift coming and she is getting some booty work !

bonno

Hi Silver105
Looking good, just one observation concerning the shut line gap on the RHS rear (boot and guard) in photo 3, being addressed as part of the work or is just my imagination. 

Silver105

Yes good spot. Actually the boot and both rear quarter panels need a fair bit of work as the boot is just very tight after the rear panel work done previously. I'll post some progress shots as I think it is going to be interesting to make it perfect.

Cheers
John

bonno

I am sure Vito should be able to rectify, maybe it's only a simple boot alignment or then again the need to partially detach rear guard align and re-attach (hopefully not the latter as this might be fairly involved). From lower picture (image8 eight), the shut line gap looks good (puzzling to say the least)

Silver105

Update, figured out why the boot fit was not great, wasn't from a 74 2000 GTV, I think much early model and made to fit. Explains why I have photos of the previous owner doing the metal work to reset the boot badge and why it just sat totally out of alignment. Anyway, feedback from Vito is the doors are in great condition, no rust and most of the panels look really good. A little bit of surface rust on the front nose cone, and a little too much filler in the finishing.

He said the previous owner did all the hard work cutting out all the rust in the usual places and the metal work looks good, but then just did a very poor job on the finishing. Just did not look after the detail and the quality of the finish is what let it down .... Anyway, all I need at the moment is new boot lid from Classic Alfa, some chrome window trim you can buy in a roll and trying to find a new instrument binnacle for a 74 2000 GTV... mine is a little warped. 

Cheers
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver105

Some additional photos...

bonno

Hi Silver105
Good news about the cause of the boot alignment problem. Repairs to body panels are progressing well and it won't be long before she is ready for paint. Have you decided on the paint finish being either acrylic or 2 pack.
cheers
bonno

Silver105

I'm pretty sure we're going with Dulux 2 pack but we have not had that discussion yet ? What would you recommend ?

Cheers
JJ

Silver105

This is the kind of finish I'm looking for, this is Vito's 105 he is nearing completion on... just so good !

Silver105

Just love this colour but the quality of the work is great !

bonno

I resprayed my Alfetta GTV in acrylic, basically because I did it at home and was the OEM paint used back in the 80's. However would have preferred 2 pack oven baked finish because of durability and long term finish capability (resist to sun damage). I have included photo's of the finish product taken after the respray job.

Silver105

Looks pretty good for doing it at home.... nice colour. I love Alfettas with a set of Simmons... been trying to convince a mate of mine with a white Alfetta GTV6 to put a set of Gold Simmons on his....

bonno

Thanks John. Happy in the way the old girl turned out and is currently nearing completion of an 18 month refresh that has involved full body respray, refurbished dash and reupholster of tan leather Recaro interior. Over this time she has only been off the road for 4 months in total (respray),  as donors for dash and Recaro interior have been utilized.
Regards
Frank