Pics of any Alfetta Gt's owned by members out there?

Started by Italian Supermodel, September 15, 2014, 03:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brook308

Quote from: GR-124 on October 23, 2014, 06:05:17 PM

All GTs should have the solid front panel, I don't believe that the ventilated panel was a running change on GTs.

You will notice that all Australian delivered GTs have Compliance Plates no later than 6/76.

Paul,
mine's a 6/76 GT, with 01608 engine number, so I guess its an 1779cc. BUT it has the slots in the body steel between the bumper and the plastic grill. From the look i had around today I can not see any evidence of a prang therefore i don't think it's a replacement panel?? so could it be original?
[/quote]

Wow, that's the 1st gt I've seen with a gtv type front panel, does the rest of the car match a gt? , interior, c pillar grill?

GR-124

Hey Brook308, yeah it's got the Australian compliance plate with Alfetta GT on it. It has the C pillar grill and heres a pic of the interior. Either it has a GTV grill panel grafted on later in life or its a unique car. I would like to get to the bottom of it.

aggie57

Quote from: GR-124 on October 23, 2014, 09:12:26 PM
Hey Brook308, yeah it's got the Australian compliance plate with Alfetta GT on it. It has the C pillar grill and heres a pic of the interior. Either it has a GTV grill panel grafted on later in life or its a unique car. I would like to get to the bottom of it.

It was very common for panel beaters to fit a GTV front panel to a GT when doing even simple repairs in the day. They are a straight swap, and easy to fit as all the joints are internal lips that can be accessed directly. Plus the GT panels dried up very quickly even though the GT's were sold in the U.S. for another year or two after Australian sales stopped, and those panels are a real pain to get straight if bent.

So I'd say it's almost certain if you have that later panel on a GT then it's not original.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Malcolm

This GT is 1976 and was converted to a bitumen rally Alfa some years ago and in 1994 was converted for circuit sprinting by Eurosport Automotive in SA. Have owned this GT coming up 15 years now and we have burned some rubber around many race circuits, Phillip Island, Winton, Calder, Oran Park, Wakefield Park and of course Mallala. 2008 'The Italian Flag on Wheels" had a full respray inside and out.
It is still barking like an angry dog and performing exceptionally well, even with its driver now in his senior years.
Malcolm Ebel
Life Member AROCA SA
Membership Officer
membership@alfaclubsa.org.au
04309 14 309
1st Car, Morris 8/40 Bakers Van.
2004 Alfa 147Ti 5spd manual(Sold).
1976 Alfetta 2L GT race car (Sold)
Current
2009 Alfa GT 3.2 Litre 6spd manual.
2005 Alfa GT 2 Litre Selespeed to Super Sprint

Cool Jesus

Quote from: LukeC on October 20, 2014, 11:54:38 AM
Another Afetta GTAm. Factory 2.0 with Spica and large capacity GTV6 like fuel tank.

Ex Canberra (I worked on this years ago). I tried to track it down a couple of times, but now it has resurfaced I have my hands  and shed space full.

This deserves a good home and restoration!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1976-Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-GTAM-Bathurst-Homologation-car-RARE-/121459655627?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item1c478f43cb

Hey Luke, I went out of curiosity to inspect this eBay sale. Yeah I dare say it's the one you recall. Still had a metalic 'Canberra speed shop' sticker on the bumper. As far as grabbing a piece of history, well history is the key word for this Alfetta. I strongly suggest any bidders to proceed with caution. Don't wish the seller any bad fortune, but I think my Alfetta just became rarer by one  :'(
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Paul Newby

Quote from: aggie57 on October 24, 2014, 06:00:33 AM
Quote from: GR-124 on October 23, 2014, 09:12:26 PM

It was very common for panel beaters to fit a GTV front panel to a GT when doing even simple repairs in the day. They are a straight swap, and easy to fit as all the joints are internal lips that can be accessed directly. Plus the GT panels dried up very quickly even though the GT's were sold in the U.S. for another year or two after Australian sales stopped, and those panels are a real pain to get straight if bent.

So I'd say it's almost certain if you have that later panel on a GT then it's not original.

I've seen a number of GTs with the later GTV front panel, for the reasons that Alister has explained above.

I was very lucky that when I crashed my GT and required a new front clip, plus quarter panels and bonnet, I was able to wreck a complete but rusty GT and transfer all the correct bits to my GT so that it still looks like a GT. Not sure that I could live with myself if I had to put on a GTV front... ;D

Interestingly Bill Magoffin's Group C Alfetta GTAM raced with the correct GT front in 76 and when it was relogged as a GTV in 1977 retained the GT front panel albeit with a GTV grille right up until at least 1980. When Nigel Houghton-Allen owned it in its Group 4 guise it had a GTV front clip with a GT grille! Bill bought it in that configuration and sacrificed a very rusty GT shell to brng it back to its original narrow body, complete with GT front clip...!  :D
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Neil Choi

Makes great viewing.

LukeC

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au