SHITBOX FETTA REKINDLED

Started by 17fitty, February 24, 2014, 01:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

17fitty

aggie57-thats interesting-dont suppose you have chassis number etc.I have pulled off the front right guard for a repair and didnt see any welds etc?but who knows could well have been changed at some stageThanks for the info.Any other defining features?
garibaldi-your right about the sedans being a bit scarce-one of my next projects is a 1974 alfetta sedan i will try and revive(as well as a couple of berlinas)If your real keen im sure one will pop up--good luck

aggie57

Don't have the chassis number sorry but I think you'd see if it was the same car; the guard was only 1/2 replaced with the join around the shock turret.  Could have been replaced again I guess of course...it did have the top of the rear seat repaired like yours but that was pretty common too.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

If this is turning into an 'I love Alfettas' thread, then I'm in.  I miss terribly Mario II, the great Alfetta Migliorata that took us on the shitbox rally in 2012.  That was a great car - I hope it's enjoying a fine life in Far North Queensland...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

17fitty

How far north is was Mario????maybe you could be reunited?QLD as big as it is in the fetta world its a tad smaller and maybe mario will turn up?any photos so we know what to hunt.
As too the shitbox fetta it is trying me in all sorts of different ways.Seems there is a gremlin that plays with wipers /doors/indicators everytime i leave it overnight????but as yet i wont be beaten----quickly.The right hand indicator mainly works apart from where it feels like being random(have changed earths/wiring /globes etc and more patience).
Wipers-with our only bit of rain the other week thought id use my wipers and yep worked unreal then after a dozen strokes that beautiful plastic/wire fusion smell--proceeded to work----on the fetta.Now have wipers flat out only too suit our rapid but rare downpours.
Rear passengers door-has been a bit of a shite too close as in it shuts well very delicately but this morning on my nice fetta friendly winding hilly road the rear door flops open relentlessly.Pulled over and was a no side of the road fix so drove the 35km holding the rear left door shut-lucky im lanky.Dont know what i did apart from pull mechanism out and clean and install-now wont open from the outside as little cast lug broke off-anyone got lhs rear pass door handle for sale?/?
All in all loved driving it home and it is nearly 36years old .Gave it a polish and ready for tomorrow

brook308

Quote from: 17fitty on March 19, 2014, 09:16:31 PM
How far north is was Mario????maybe you could be reunited?QLD as big as it is in the fetta world its a tad smaller and maybe mario will turn up?any photos so we know what to hunt.
As too the shitbox fetta it is trying me in all sorts of different ways.Seems there is a gremlin that plays with wipers /doors/indicators everytime i leave it overnight????but as yet i wont be beaten----quickly.The right hand indicator mainly works apart from where it feels like being random(have changed earths/wiring /globes etc and more patience).
Wipers-with our only bit of rain the other week thought id use my wipers and yep worked unreal then after a dozen strokes that beautiful plastic/wire fusion smell--proceeded to work----on the fetta.Now have wipers flat out only too suit our rapid but rare downpours.
Rear passengers door-has been a bit of a shite too close as in it shuts well very delicately but this morning on my nice fetta friendly winding hilly road the rear door flops open relentlessly.Pulled over and was a no side of the road fix so drove the 35km holding the rear left door shut-lucky im lanky.Dont know what i did apart from pull mechanism out and clean and install-now wont open from the outside as little cast lug broke off-anyone got lhs rear pass door handle for sale?/?
All in all loved driving it home and it is nearly 36years old .Gave it a polish and ready for tomorrow

Ah good old italian electrics, I just spent 4 hrs on the GTV, if I hold my toung right and cross my fingers all the tail lights now work, will just have to hope it all hangs together for the RWC.
The fuse carrier iis always a good place to start, I had 12v at the tail lights for the reversing bulbs but the globes would not light, cleaned the fuse ends and tightened up the fuse carrier and they came to life.

Anthony Miller

V5 Simmons originally came from Brizneeland, bought em from a bloke who worked for Avanti,  put em on me Joolie and eventually they made their way to Melbyville where , after a series of unfortunate events and another Jolie,  I Sold em to Mat. Good to hear they are rolling familiar roads again.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: 17fitty on March 19, 2014, 09:16:31 PM

Mario II got auctioned in Cairns......and went for $20.  We're both still a bit devastated about that, and kick each other regularly.  He was a great, great car.  We talked about bringing him back, but we didn't really have a plan to do it, and weren't sure if he'd make the drive, he was starting to feel a little tired after we'd trashed him through 3000km of outback (plus we knew where the rust was hidden).  And we thought he'd go for about $400 at auction; if we'd known he was gonna go for $20, we'd definitely have bought him back.  The chaps that bought him were planning on Khanacrossing with him, so hopefully he's living a suitable life up there.

17fitty

Anthony the v5 simmons are on the forum for sale atm.I put the momos on it.Stupidly i sold a good set of b45s which also would have looked good-luckily the momos have good tyres or it would be running around on some steelies(which i like )Cheers for the info
Sheldon-thanks for the photos- looks like awesome fun and one day will do something similar-time and money pending.$20 bucks ---bargain......=2x drinks at cairns airport.  :)

rowan_bris

Carl is right - they are for sale on here at the moment.  Hopefully they will sell and will go part way to some nice GTV6 wheels!  Do you still have a couple of sets Carl?

17fitty

No Rowan all gone-they took i while and i thought i wouldnt be getting back into the alfettas---and here i am.If i hear of anyone i will pass them your way.

17fitty

Well its been a long time between drinks so thought id give an update on the"shitbox fetta".I  drove it for a couple of years on the same ol smokey motor until the rust again started raising its nasty head--ongoing saga but after 6mths of casual welding etc again it lives and have given it another coat of "azzuro le mans"(or as close as i could get it)I usually work on the 50/50 paint job(from 50mph @50mt looks good)this paint job i reckon is a 30/30 so basically pretty stoked.
Took it for a blast and nearly got fumed out by ol smokey(amazing how one can get used to carbon monoxide)so decided on Friday an engine transplant was needed.Sunday motor out and 2nd hand 1984 alfa giullietta paddock basher motor was installed with the great help from brooke308 and his awesome 9yr old son Flynn-what an awesome other set of hands-thanks so much scuderia yandina ck.Of course could never be a simple bolt in job as the giulietta head is different as is intake manifold/carbs being different as in cable operated.Threw on the old intake only to find the head castings slightly different where thermostat is located---bring out the grinder---problem solved--then cast exhaust manifold flange broken----into brooke 308 alfa mancave and kindly donated a set of ansa extractors from his wall art--awesome and bolted up to existing exhaust--now lets drop the motor in--nope ball on throttle linkage had broken off--no spares around and forget trying to remove the pressed rubber vulcanised mount---after draining brooke308s extensive blunt drillbit range managed to drill a hole through the remainder of the bolt that the knuckle was attached to and put a long skinny bolt through it with a nylock nut--phew now can the motor go in---yay yep--so now all bolted in and wired up with the giulietta electronic ignition.Amazingly it started instantly and sat on idle--who said alfa engines are unreliable--this motor was t boned by a truck and written off hence i brought the wreck and my son thrashed this around the paddock with no love shown and sat in the paddock for at least the past 6yrs when i rescued it last year -again filled carbs with fuel and it started instantly.Again has sat for another year plus--now to do a short trip drain oil and put some good oil etc in it and ENJOY.
BIG THANKS 308BROOKE-AKA GIORGIO AND FLYNN-SCUDERIA YANDINA CK--MERRY XMAS SHITBOX FETTA AND ALL THE OTHER ALFISTI OUT THERE-BE SAFE AND KEEP THE GOOD LUBRICANTS FLOWING
Thats enough until the next rebirth and have a look at some up and coming fb threads coming out of Independant Custom Fabrication another Italian car nut up this way-quality handmade panels(metal shaping)and high quality rollcages at "keeping it real price range"
Cheers

poohbah

That is no shitbox. More like a glory box.

Love that colour with the streamlined no-bumpers look. Nice work 17Fitty.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

aggie57

Very cool.  Well done you for keeping an old faithful in the road. Great to get the update.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

hammer

Awesome work Carl! I love that old Fetta.

If you're looking for a new home for old smokey, Ken Percival is looking for a bottom end donor for a race engine - block, crank etc.

Cheers,

Brent

17fitty

cheers guys(gals) for the positive comments and will keep an update on the old fetta and as for the old engine atm i will be hanging onto it but if i come across another block etc ill let you know Brent--cheeers