Giulia Standard and Veloce review

Started by alfagtv100 (Biggus), December 11, 2017, 01:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: g0nzal3s on November 21, 2018, 04:54:11 PM
Hi there,

I just ordered a Quadrifoglio and I'm very excited about it.

I tried to search this forum and others in regards to apple carplay but had no luck.

Apparently the Giulia doesn't have this feature where the 2018 Stelvio does - or just the overseas models? I don't know. Does anyone know if the infotainment system will be updated/or can be updated to have this feature?

I'm not here to start an argument about the feature itself, I just would like to know the possibilities.

How are you enjoying the QV g0nzal3s ?
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

poohbah

Off the topic a bit here, but I was driving past the local AR dealer yesterday at closing, and one of the sales guys was climbing into a Giulia QV (nice to have on weekends!). But it was the loudest lime green I have ever seen. Not my choice - too '70s Falcon for my taste. In a million years when I can afford one, my choice will be the dark cosmos blue.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

with fire suppression system . . . .  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: poohbah on February 09, 2019, 11:37:31 AM
Off the topic a bit here, but I was driving past the local AR dealer yesterday at closing, and one of the sales guys was climbing into a Giulia QV (nice to have on weekends!). But it was the loudest lime green I have ever seen. Not my choice - too '70s Falcon for my taste. In a million years when I can afford one, my choice will be the dark cosmos blue.
I would love it in Kermit green and expect all to call me a wanker.
I considered buying mine in Misano blue but (in my opinion) red (or white) brings out the best of the base model. 
A colleague bought his Veloce in Misano blue and I think it looks awesome, complementing the more aggressive styling.
A QV in a Lamborgini or BMW burnt orange would make me wet my pants.  Wrong on many levels but definitely a head turner.  Being 25 years old again would also be nice.  Alas.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

g0nzal3s

Quote from: alfagtv100 (Biggus) on February 08, 2019, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: g0nzal3s on November 21, 2018, 04:54:11 PM
Hi there,

I just ordered a Quadrifoglio and I'm very excited about it.

I tried to search this forum and others in regards to apple carplay but had no luck.

Apparently the Giulia doesn't have this feature where the 2018 Stelvio does - or just the overseas models? I don't know. Does anyone know if the infotainment system will be updated/or can be updated to have this feature?

I'm not here to start an argument about the feature itself, I just would like to know the possibilities.

How are you enjoying the QV g0nzal3s ?
I simply love every moment I spend with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi all,
Ticked over 3 years of ownership last November.
Touchwood, my 3-years with the Giulia have been worry-free.

Every drive is still an event due to the quick, accurate steering and chassis dynamics.

The interior is holding up incredibly well, regardless of the efforts of my 10-year old.  The seats remain wonderfully supportive and comfortable.  The steering wheel is as always, an absolute delight, though I understand Alfa increasing the thickness of the wheel in the current model.  Mind you, there is nothing lacking in the original design.  Start/Stop button on the wheel - winner winner chicken dinner.  Every single time.
The exterior on my always garaged example remains faultless.  No fading, no issues.  People always comment on how clean my car is, even when it isn't.

Gripes:
- Infotainment and nav have received exactly zero updates.  Just like my 1971 Giulia. Being an Alfisti, I can live with that, though should not have to. 
- Oil consumption is higher than I am accustomed to {from experience with other cars), burning 50% of capacity between services.  The oil level sensor is very slow to update and there is no dipstick.  Topping up the oil is more worrisome than it needs to be (when you want to avoid overfilling)
- Headlights (on my base model) are just ok
- Exhaust sound is pleasant but quiet, and to be honest, dull. At least it doesn't fart like a Golf or MB A-series.
- Base audio package is only average but ok
- The single exhaust pipe look is clean/nice but the more aggressive Veloce design is better

The good stuff:
- The car is awesome to drive and remains a consistent head-turner
- Throughout (only) 42,000kms of ownership, I have replaced front tyres.  The rears are due.  Pads and disks still have life. A massive improvement over my159
- Other than a little tyre noise, the Giulia is quiet and refined on the road.  A great highway cruiser.
- Everything inside the car - gauges, controls/switchgear, climate-control, seats, storage, surfaces are pleasant to interact with and function well.
- Clean engine bay.
- Develop an understanding of the boot space and you can fit in more than expected.
- It is a very pretty sports saloon.
- Start-Stop ceased working following the last service.  The dealer service rep telling me "It is because you haven't been using the car" (due to COVID lockdown) was unfortunate and complete bollocks.

I am not planning to get rid of this car anytime soon and envy those who can buy a used example.
Let me know if you have questions about Giulia.

And if anyone has a recommendation for an upgrade to the single pipe base model which is fruity, without booming, please let me know (I still have hope).

Cheers,
Marco

Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.

bazzbazz

Quote from: alfagtv100 (Biggus) on March 06, 2021, 11:55:04 PM
Start-Stop ceased working following the last service.  The dealer service rep telling me "It is because you haven't been using the car" (due to COVID lockdown) was unfortunate and complete bollocks.

Well, there may be a little truth there in what he says. The usual cause of the stop/start system becoming uncooperative is a failing/poor condition battery, usually resolved by fitting a new battery. If you've gotten 3 years out of the battery, and the car hasn't been used much then I would suggest giving the battery a good charge with a quality charger.

If this doesn't fix the problem then it's time for a new battery. Giulias do seem to be a little hard on the battery, and if you get 4-5 years out of a battery with modern cars you're doing well.

Apart from that, it's great that you are having such a rewarding experience, the way IT SHOULD BE with an Alfa.

It's just a pity the Infotainment and nav update issue is such a pitiful joke, and they can't work out why sales are so bad.

"You want me to pay HOW MUCH for a car that has a useless nav system because it's maps are 4 years out of date!!!!"
   :o

"Excuse me, but i see there is a BMW dealership across the road . . . . . "  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

NigelC

Great review,
I have put just over 60 000km on my Giulia Veloce in 18 months of use. Mostly highway miles but also a fair bit of Sydney traffic. Overall, the car is wonderful to drive. Brilliant handling - sharp, precise steering and great brakes combined with really useful power anywhere from 40 to 110km/h (insert legal disclaimer here ...!). The Harman Kardon sound system is marvellous and the seats are extremely comfortable and supportive for hours at a time. I have no idea what I will replace the car with at the end of my lease in November. There is, quite simply, nothing in the price range of a Veloce that drives as nicely.

There are however a few niggles and one major gripe. The door placement is a bit tricky for a big (fat) bloke like me to use, I constantly brush the rubber seal on the door frame which has broken the seal and marked many of my shirts - that's a niggle and if I lost weight wouldn't be an issue!
The struts on the bootlid are weak and with the carbon fibre boot-lip spoiler adding extra weight the boot lid has collected me on the head a couple of times - that's also a niggle.
You can't mute the annoying beeps. My property has a gate 50m from my garage and the car beeps constantly reminding me to put my seatbelt on for the 50m, 10kph journey and then gets even more annoying when I get out (with the key in my pocket) to open/close the gate - it's pretty annoying for my passenger. - that's also a niggle.
My gripe however is with the navigation system. Alfa have seriously dropped the ball on this one and deserve all the opprobrium they get. What sort of intellectual minnow designed a system that cannot be upgraded with newer maps (ever) and cannot be upgraded to a system that will be of use as the car ages? I drive in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and sometimes Brisbane and while my memory is good, I do need some help navigating occasionally. The maps are outdated and will only become less useable over time. FCA shamefully doesn't care, dealers are mere pawns and Alfa has stuffed up royally. I don't buy a car for the GPS navigation system but in a $70k+ car buyers should get a useable system. That's a gripe!
The BMW 330i is a boring germanic box on wheels but at least the maps work!
p.s. I really do love my Giulia Veloce!
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

bazzbazz

Quote from: NigelC on April 17, 2021, 10:24:34 AM
My gripe however is with the navigation system. Alfa have seriously dropped the ball on this one and deserve all the opprobrium they get. What sort of intellectual minnow designed a system that cannot be upgraded with newer maps (ever) and cannot be upgraded to a system that will be of use as the car ages? I drive in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and sometimes Brisbane and while my memory is good, I do need some help navigating occasionally. The maps are outdated and will only become less useable over time. FCA shamefully doesn't care, dealers are mere pawns and Alfa has stuffed up royally. I don't buy a car for the GPS navigation system but in a $70k+ car buyers should get a useable system. That's a gripe!
The BMW 330i is a boring germanic box on wheels but at least the maps work!
p.s. I really do love my Giulia Veloce!

I have always said, the biggest problem with Alfa Romeo in Australia IS Alfa Romeo Australia!

I am always tempted to get dressed up, walk into a dealership, mention to the manager that I have just made a killing in the market and tell him I want to buy my wife and myself his & hers Giulias with every option package possible. There would be no haggling on price what so ever, mentioning that money is not an issue, all that matters is quality & service.

Once he has spent a couple of hours doing the total sales dance and filling out the paperwork, just before I sign on the dotted line, I would ask how often do the maps get updated in the SatNav? His response would either be the truth or a lie, either resulting in me berating him for wasting my very valuable time and what a complete disgrace the situation was. I would then look across the road to the Mercedes/BMW/Lexus dealership and mention "I bet their maps get updated!" and storm out the door.

In fact, I suggest that every person reading this all do likewise, seriously.   >:(
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast