Alfa Romeo DOHC High-performance Manual

Started by Polyal, June 26, 2012, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polyal

How good is this book?

http://www.booktopia.com.au/alfa-romeo-dohc-high-performance-manual/prod9781845840198.html

Im thinking of buying it even though currently I have no plans of modifying my engine other than the usual bolts ons.

Problem is I cant find anyone that stocks it....are there any ebooks? Any members have multiple copies?

Cheers

Cool Jesus

Its not bad for a foundation on Alfa specific modifications. I'm using it for my restoration. I ended up sorcing it from the UK. The link you have sounds like a reasonable price.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Martyn

The engine porting and diagrams are poor.
The author is verbose and it is badly edited.
The engine build described in detail is not backed up by a dyno  run supporting the claim of a 180bhp.
However it is has much useful information if you are careful how you use it.
Try Amazon if you are desperate to own a copy at a reasonable price

Martyn Piercey
105 GTV (building for Nc)
Alfetta GT
76 Spider(in bits)
GTV 2000
1300 GT Junior
147 Selespeed(sold)
Sc Alfetta GTV (sold)

Polyal

Yeah I dont take anything as gospel but since its all new to me something to fall back onto or get pointers from would be helpful.

Problem is I honestly cant find anywhere (even globally) that stocks it.

Are there any other must have books?

Craig_m67

I've a copy on my bookshelf sourced from Amazon, it's a great read.
Like anything - the info is subjective and it's up to you to identify what you want to build, research and apply.

The author is a regular contributor on the AlfaBB.. if you have questions (^or complaints^) you can likely contact (or search, its no doubt been asked before) him there.  He's a valued and very generous contributor who i've seen very happy to debate and discuss options etc.

Is there a 'reading list' sticky for Alfa's.. maybe start one with this book :)

Craig
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

AikenDrum105

Quote from: Martyn on June 26, 2012, 11:19:46 PM
...However it is has much useful information if you are careful how you use it.

+1.    

I found it very useful,  but the info between a TS and STD head blurred a little in the middle (nearly got me - the installed valve guide heights are quite different)  ,    I used the 75 TS engine workshop manual and other info here:  http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/   for all the critical measurements and basic direction - and enjoyed reading over Jim's books ad infinitum and the absorbed info rattled around in the background as I did the engine.    It does have some critical info when porting a TS (oil return rail)  which is very useful :)

Braden's two books have a few good nuggets of info - freezing the main bearing cap cigarette seals was one I picked up many moons ago  (same with valve guides)

Not a *huge* difference between the original Alfa DOHC performance manual and the newer revision,  if you can get the older one easily enough you might be able to, uh, update yours if you know someone who has the newer one.

Best help I had was thrashing over the alfabb engine rebuild / conversion threads and picking the little gems out of the noise.

Cheers,

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

jg1053

The Alfa BB can supply a lot of this info if you contact Jim (papajam). I also believe the best all round handbook produced so far is the Alfa Owners Bible by the late Pat Braden. I also have a Competition Reference Handbook put together by Don Black, when he worked in the competition department of Alfa USA. Jim K's book is ok but if you want some real deal stuff get both of these. The handbook is hard to get. Contact me if you want some contact details.
Jim

McAnnik

Jim, I'm not sure but I think that Don Black's essay is included ,at least in part, in Pat Braden's second volume (published after his demise) titled: "All alloy Twin Cam Companion". It's readily available (Amazon?) and a worthwhile investment for future reference coz memory fades...anna domoni?????? (not sure of my Latin!) and all that stuff!!!........Cheers.....Ian

Beatle

Every Alfisti should own copies of Pat Braden's Bible and Companion even if you send your cars out for maintenance.  They are great reads in their own right and contain quite a few tweaks which are easy, cheap, and reversible.  Perfect for those not heavily into vehicle modification. ;) 
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Polyal

Thanks guys...Ill put my order in for those two today.

Got around to reinstating the fuel filter today (it had disappeared??) and while there some braided fuel lines...over the top perhaps but they look snazzy.

Cheers