Dayline Headlights for 156

Started by ccaltabiano86, February 26, 2012, 10:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccaltabiano86

Hey guys,
I purchased a pair of dayline headlights from Germany the other day (should be here in the next few weeks)
Just wondering if anyone has seen them here in Australia,
and if they have modified or know of anyone who has modified them to accept HID lights.

They actually look allot better on the car. Here is one I found of google.
Finally bought an Alfa :)

and all the problems that come with it!

colcol

Give it that mean Audi look, has it got Australian Design Rule compliance?, could be a problem with insurance company, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Brad M

Coming from Germany, would the left hand vs right hand drive an issue?
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

ccaltabiano86

ah, I didnt take the LHD vs RHD into account. Hmm, maybe pulling the lights apart and changing the alignment of the reflectors might do the trick.
Or I could just get some of those headlight converters they sell in the UK for when you drive to europe. they dont look the best, but work a treat...

as for been road legal, thats another question all together... ???

ccaltabiano86

Not been online for a while, but just thought I would update my progress with this project.

Headlights arrived, and to my surprise they are LHD & RHD capable :) saves me the hassle or trying to modify, or get them modified.
I have also been looking into AUS compliance in regards to the headlights, but have not been able to find anything...  ??? What makes something ADR compliant? The only thing I can think of is that the car may need to a blue slip (in NSW) inspection, but I dont see that been to hard to get.
On that note, I found a custom fitter locally that do modifications and custom headlights, so I may head down there this weekend and see if they do compliance checks or anything like that.

As for the installation of the lights, I have postponed, as it will require me removing the front pumper. So, since I have ordered the aluminium undertray from Alfastumpers I was going to wait for that to arrive and get it all installed at once.
I will post up photos and what not once its all done.

colcol

I heard of a Alfa driver getting knocked back on a roadworthy, because he didn't have genuine headlights that were ADR compliant, he had to get 4 matching Carrello lights, 2 were an unknown brand, about 15 years ago The Alfa Romeo owners club of Victoria went to Hella lights for a technical night, and in a big room the size of a picture theatre, we were shown Hella lights that were ADR compliant, with a good clear beam that didn't blind oncoming motorists, and a import, non ADR compliant that had a scattered beam that was set up for possum spotting in trees, as they didn't give a good clear beam on the road, so there is a difference, i have fitted non genuine headights and taillights to other cars over the years, and they are not as good as genuine, although, the customer doesn't complain!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

If you decide to fit HID globes - which should work ok with a projector lens like that - they won't meet ADR because HIDs require self-levelling (ie: suspension arm sensors and actuators/motors to alter the projector lense angle) and headlight washers. However, if you set them up properly (ie: no glare), you'd be very unlucky to be pinged for them because no-one would know. Except if you need a yellow slip/roadworthy.

They might otherwise comply if you fit regular halogens, if required.  :-\ EDIT: colcol replied just before me, and I take on board his comments.

They look (cosmetically) quite reasonable. Can you provide details of where you bought them and how much? Just for future reference for other people.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Craig_m67

Lots of different things make something ADR compliant depending upon what it is. You can google the ADRs and read them. I found them once...(edit) http://www.hidlighting.com.au/ADR77_78_13.pdf. And the whole shebang here http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reforms/AustralianVehicleStandardsRules1.pdf

Google tells me your blingtastic headlamps of choice claim to be E-dot approved, so if they're correctly E-dot (code) labeled they could meet ADR. However, as Shiney points out -  a lack of auto leveling and washers, I thought, a requirement if fitting projector gas discharge lamps. That said, the PDF above (section  6.2.6.2.2) suggest that you can get away with manual leveling if it's available to be adjusted in the cabin. Could find nothing about washers

Who knows, don't trust anything I've said or googled ... What does your local RTA say ?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

ccaltabiano86

So I have finally installed the headlights and aluminium under tray.
never thought headlights could cause so much controversy, anyhow, they are installed with standard bulbs, no HID... one less hassle I guess, as for the LHD/RHD  debacle, the site I purchased it from lied about it been universal, There are marking on the headlight that say LDH/RHD with an arrow to rotate projector part, BUT you cant replace screws once turned to RHD as there are no holes... anyhow, mechanic adjusted light so the right aint causing any glare to oncoming traffic.
here are the pictures of the under tray and headlights. Will post up some night photos of the lights and the beam soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,
Chris

alfa156jts

Hey mate. Am a newbie here :) I have a pair of these on mine but can't find the adjustment to correct the lhd to rhd. Can you let me know how you went about this?