V-8 Car of the Future

Started by colcol, October 03, 2011, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Newby

Gary, I don't have any inside information nor have I been to the HRT workshop lately.

However the official word is that they will use the Albins transaxle in the COTF, and I haven't seen anything officially or on the motorsports forums that contradict this.

From what I've read Albins are not novices at building transaxles and these have been proven in competition, particularly off road racing.

I also believe that their transaxles are cheaper to service than the Hollinger boxes – and cost containment is what COTF is all about isn't it?

The Albins transaxle is to be used in the Joss Supercar and is being considered for future HSV roadcars, so there is a potential tie in.

1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

colcol

The Car of the future had its test day at Eastern creek last week was cut short when the driveline was reported to have lunched itself all over the track, earlier in the year, V-8 Supercars said it would  have some parade laps at Mt. Panorama, to show the public what it was all about, did anyone see it there?, as previously stated, i missed the 7am-10am early shift broadcast, so the COTF may have been there, but uncle col col was catching some sleep, it seems they are looking for cost containment in the wrong areas, cheap gearboxes and engines, but are they still going to use $25,000 steering wheels, i heard a whisper that car company GEELY could be interested in V-8 Supercars, but no driver would have the intestional fortitude to drive one in case they had a crash, due to its 2 star crash rating, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Cost containment, thats what Car of the Future is all about, anybody can make something cheaper as long as they are willing to make it worse, look what happened to team Vodafone driver Jamie Whincup, lost the championship lead due to a $150 alternator failure, i think its called the race to the bottom, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

The Red and Blue cars of the future at last weekends Telstra 500 at Homebush did some tame parade laps due to concerns about driveline isues, and predictably Mark Skaife gushed how good everything was on it, and how if say Mazda wanted to they could go from a 4 cylinder front wheel drive Mazda 6 to a V-8 with a transaxle rear wheel drive, which would be like a Sports Sedan version of a Mazda, as yet no other manufacturers have indicated they want to enter a series where they have no say or engineering input on a car bearing their badge on the bonnet, and the cars are 100 kilos lighter than the more standard cars they are currently running, due to more plastic composite materials on the 'COTF", he said also that the cars would handle better due to the better weight distribution of the transaxle being located at the back, what do all the Alfetta, old sqaured off Guillietta, 90 and 75 and GTV drivers think of this?, something Alfa Romeo knew 40 years ago, Colin.

Davidm1600

I saw about 10 mins of the V8s on Saturday while doing the housework stuff, yes I can Iron ;D and they had a segment on the COTF, right, so basically from Skaifie and co were saying is that yes as others have noted they will supposedly be cheaper (really can see that happening can't you), will be lighter and handle better, given fully independant suspension (woo hoo finally chooks and crapadores will have finally worked this out), but and this is the interesting part, they said the basic rules were that the series will be open to any manufacturer not just the local boys, so long as the car has 4 doors and a V8, with rear wheel drive.

There was no discussion re gearboxes being located to the rear axle as per the Alfetta/Porsche 944 transaxle arrangement.

Now, and while it is probably unlikely, I really would like to see BMW, Mercs, Audis, hell why not even a Maserati Quattraporte taking them on at their own game.  Skafie and co were talking about the big Chrysler, but I would have thought that to be too big and heavy to make it worth while. But a tricked up AMG Merc, M3/M5 or Audi A4 R8, could be interesting to see how they go.

Just so long as it is not a continuation of the boring as the proverbial 2 horse race !, otherwise there is no way I could be bothered to even turn on the box let alone attend a race.  Bring the good old days I reckon with multiple classes, now that would be worth watching.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

Original post ...
Quote from: colcol on October 03, 2011, 09:47:37 PM
... the C.O.T.F., is designed to be built cheaper and easier to repair after a bingle, the Holden vs Ford duopoly is in no danger as no other manufacturer is interested, the only difference between red and blue will be the body's as everything else will be the same, and instead of having an engine for each manufacturer worth about $120,000, they will use 'crate' motors for about $17,000, bought in from the USA on crates, they will have the same chassis with the outer panels being able to be removed for change to another car maker, it will also have a transaxle just like Alfa Romeo's had 40 years ago ...

It has become a a version of Nascar, I'd only expect the manufacturers participating in Nascar to take it seriously.

Given the Nascar "manufacturers" are General Motors, Ford, Toyota and Dodge; and Dodge is in the Chrysler Family ... maybe that means we may be able to support Alfa's in the future (especially when it's Alfetta history closer reflects the Car Of The Future).

Nascar manufacturers still have a saying that "What wins on Sunday sells on Monday." Even though there is little difference these days between the cars other than the decals this still holds true. Manufacturers find that success on the track still translates to success in the showroom.

I expect the average Joe in the US is no different to the average Joe here ... therefore the Smoke and Mirrors will continue.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

MD

There has to be a way out.

What we needs is an outlook/perception change. A re-awakening of the True Blue phsyche.

We need some hard core balaclava wearing deviots to form an assault group on the local Ford and Holden forums by joining them and start posting the brain change demands that we are not going to take this crap anymore. ;D

What are our chances?  :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: colcol on December 06, 2011, 09:17:09 PM
he said also that the cars would handle better due to the better weight distribution of the transaxle being located at the back, what do all the Alfetta, old sqaured off Guillietta, 90 and 75 and GTV drivers think of this?, something Alfa Romeo knew 40 years ago, Colin.

...and Lancia knew 22 years before Alfa, and Skoda knew 38 years before Alfa.  And Alfa can't even lay claim to having the first 'affordable' transaxle, since Pontiac produced the entry-level Tempest in 1961 which featured a transaxle, and could also be optioned with an all-aluminium V8 (the engine which later went on to become the Rover V8); interestingly, the car was designed by John DeLorean.

That said, I do love the Alfa transaxle cars, and I have huge respect for Alfa for continuing with the concept for so long.  Great cars, all of 'em.  Even the Giulietta.

colcol

Can you imangine Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Maserati getting involved with a series they have no control or engineering input, can you see them wanting to be beaten every weekend by cars costing one third of theirs, not really, although recently Ford did a bit of engineering input when the transaxle failed at the 'secret' test at Eastern Creek a few weeks ago, Colin.

Davidm1600

Am sure you are correct Col, but I still like the idea of it happening and better still beating them at their own game. But in truth, I suspect you are likely to be correct.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

I still remember all the knuckle draggers being upset that one of those hated GTR's winning Bathurst in 91, and 'gentleman' Jim Richards calling them a pack of ar5e holes, if their beloved red and blue cars don't win they will be calling for the 'overseas' maker to be knobbled, Colin.

colcol

Auto Fiction has story on Nissan looking at joining Car Of The Future, then goes on to say, joining as supplier of Safety car only, thats the only way a Nissan would be allowed to lead a V-8 race, as the Hedge Fund that now owns the V-8 series would buckle to the red and blue fans and put restrictors on it....., just like 20 years ago when they banned it, because it was so good, Colin.

Datso

all too true and the main reason I will never support any knuckle dragging games

wished they still had the 24 hour enduros where the rx7 SP also had their day in the sun

colcol

Can you imagine the latest Nissan GTR, with its quad cam turbocharged V-6 with 4 wheel drive being made to run a 2 valve per cylinder pushrod V-8 'crate motor', they would get more value from sponsoring the golf, Colin.

MD

No Colcol 'cause I would rarther imagine an all wheel drive turbo Alfa V6 challenge the Nissan, oooh yeah !!  ;D ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0