V-8 Car of the Future

Started by colcol, October 03, 2011, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad M

It doesn't make sense ...
"We will scientifically and very diligently ensure that Nissan comes into the sport and are competitive but do not dominate," Skaife told Speedcafe.com.

Why have a Car of The Future program to cut development costs? ... then limit the output of the "Nissan" engines, to match the incumbents.

I think the engine development will consist of how to replace the generic cam covers of the crate engine, with a special Nismo cam cover to make it a Nissan engine.

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to what this will bring.

Not much better than watching Lowndesy do his thing, maybe Webber punting Seb off the track is better :)
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Brad M on February 10, 2012, 01:44:27 PM
I think the engine development will consist of how to replace the generic cam covers of the crate engine, with a special Nismo cam cover to make it a Nissan engine.

I would have thought so too, but I just did a quick read up here: http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/carofthefuture/thenewgenerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx.

The pertinent statement in this case was:

A manufacturer wanting to join the V8 Supercars Championship could even come along with their own V8 engine, used under a parity system to ensure it's on par with the current units in the class, or use a 'category' engine if they wish to go with already-established technology.

However, given that they're running a control chassis (and probably everything else, it's non specific as to the control items), it does make the engine choice a little academic, and the need for parity systems very obvious...  May get one or two with more mid range than the others, but less top end, or something along those lines.  The more cynical among us *ahem* might suggest that the parity will be very carefully applied in such a way as to make 'foreign' engines perform below par.  Ha. Ha.  See what I did there?

Interesting that they're moving to an IRS setup now, that along with the transaxle and the 100 kilo weight loss should pretty quickly show up in the form of tumbling lap records, even if power is down a bit.  Makes me think of WRC cars versus Group B cars - the WRC cars are actually faster, despite having only 2/3 the power of the Group B cars.  Nowhere near as interesting though....

colcol

The so called 'crate' motors are meant to be imported on crates, landed in Australia for about $17,000, as opposed to the current engines at about $120,000 each, now with the red and blue teams using a 5 litre pushrod motor, how do you think they will react to Nissan having over head cams and 4 valves per cylinder?, this is what i beleive will happen, to ensure parity and a race back to the 1930's, all manufacturers will use the same generic engines with the brand of car on the valve covers, otherwise there will be endless bitching about parity, how would you ensure parity between a O.H.C. and O.H.V. motor?, less revs more revs, more weight, but only on certain tracks, like where will it all end, a few years ago the blue teams were moaning that the red teams had superior front suspension, so the answer was to hobble the red teams, by making them fit blue suspensions to the red cars, problem solved, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

MD

In days of old when knights were bold.... ACTUAL competition between brands really meant something and caused some blood rush to the head of spectators whether your brand was winning or losing.

This type of motor racing today is a bit like cyber sex. Looks the same. Sounds the same but somehow it isn't the same.

It would be best described as a motor sport travelling show. Something like Disney On Ice and yes, like all theatre, it has its patrons. Now, I have nothing against theatre goers because we all know it is just make believe. Unfortunatly the dickhead organisers of these events would like us to believe that its all for real like in the days of old when knights were bold...and like with all successful advertising, some believe it and some don't.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

And i read that the Nissan type car will be like the production version, it will opening bonnets boots and fully functioing 4 doors, but the front gaurds, like the current cars are composite plastic, so that when they rub panels with another car, it doesn't cut the tyre like metal would, but bounces back into shape, i wonder what car Nissan will present next year, as it has to be 4 doors with a V-8, Nissan Patrol maybe, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

I see a lot of mention of "DNA" on the COTF sites - defending against comparisons with Nascar - e.g. :

"Q. How authentic will the Nissan V8 Supercar be? Will it be a silhouette car?

A. Absolutely not. The Nissan V8 Supercar will retain the 'DNA' of its road-going version with opening and closing doors, genuine panels and fixings (head and tail lights, grill, etc) and the same shape and styling of the road car.

This is in direct contrast with NASCAR's silhouette-style cars, which are constructed of sheet metal draped over a base chassis.

Different manufacturers are only distinguishable by decals in NASCAR. This is not the case with V8 Supercars."

It'll have "DNA" - meaning what?  How many genuine panels?  Doors?  Bonnet?

What do bogans think DNA is, exactly?

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

scott.venables

Bizarre. Here's a couple of quotes from
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/carofthefuture/thenewgenerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx

"The cars will still feature V8 engines, rear-wheel drive and four doors. They'll also continue to make the same roar and be just as fast, if not actually faster. Currently, the chassis beneath the skin of the Falcon and Commodore are all extremely similar, with the next step being a control chassis — it's cheaper and is also aimed at making it easier for other potential manufacturers to build a V8 Supercar."

"One of the things COTF does is that it increases the market relevance of the cars in the motoring world," says Chairman of the V8 Supercars Commission, Mark Skaife.

"Independent Rear Suspension and a transaxle gearbox will also be a new feature technically, more reflective of modern road cars and keeping with the theme of increasing motoring market relevance."

On one hand saying COTF the will increase market relevance and on the other moving to cars with a control chassis and gearbox and being powered by engines that aren't available in the market.  ???

It would be nice to see Nissan use an OHC engine, and still beat Ford and Holden with whatever restrictor they are forced to use.

Evan Bottcher

I nearly choked when I read the 'increases the market relevance' part... hmm.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

From what i have read, all the motors will be the same, to stop bitching about parity, they will use no parts from the car makers, just off the shelf, 'Car of The Future ' parts that are approved, the motors will be aiming for a price of $17,000 as opposed to $120,000 now, but they will be built by the teams, and the manufacturers will put their name on the rocker covers, so that the fans will know what type of car it is, Colin.

f1worldchamp

Quote from: colcol on February 14, 2012, 08:26:03 PM
From what i have read, all the motors will be the same, to stop bitching about parity, they will use no parts from the car makers, just off the shelf, 'Car of The Future ' parts that are approved, the motors will be aiming for a price of $17,000 as opposed to $120,000 now, but they will be built by the teams, and the manufacturers will put their name on the rocker covers, so that the fans will know what type of car it is, Colin.
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Nissan will retain it's quad cam setup, albeit at a lower capacity, and that the 5.0 engines will be detuned to match.
Current:
2006 159 JTDm
Past:
2000 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark
1973 1600 GT Junior
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Run with the bulls
Swim with the Sharks
Race with the Italians

hmd

A manufacturer wanting to join the V8 Supercars Championship could even come along with their own V8 engine, used under a parity system to ensure it's on par with the current units in the class, or use a 'category' engine if they wish to go with already-established technology.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/carofthefuture/thenewgenerationofv8supercars/tabid/1418/default.aspx

colcol

When Toyota went Nascar racing, they were not allowed to use their quad cam V-8 motor from the Lexus, so they had to develop a V-8, 2 valve pushrod racing motor similar to what General Motors and Ford use, using the Lexus motor would be an enormous advatage for them, the V-8 Hedge Fund in Australia that now owns the V-8 'Car of The Future' series, i reckon will do the same to keep it even, Colin.

colcol

On V-8 xtra today, they were talking about Nissan joining the V-8 circus, the body shape will be of a new car that hasn't been released yet, [hope its a retro CEDRIC], but will be announced later in the year and the motor will be announced round about the Clipsal 500 event, Colin.

Brad M

06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

colcol

I noticed on V-8 extra last Saturday, that a few V-8 fans were not too happy about a Nissan style car coming into the series next year, geez, what do they want, Commodore vs Falcon style cars for eternity!, its called competition, the best team and drivers win, notice i didn't say cars, as they are all the same, stand by for mass whinging if a Nissan wins a race, make em use pushrods like what we do they will say, if they let Nissan use their own motor, Colin.