alfa 33 1984 ... seized motor

Started by peersthecat, November 16, 2009, 06:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peersthecat

hey alfaphiles!

the motor on my 33 series one seized after losing power on the highway a couple weeks ago. i don't know "why" it seized, and i don't know "what" is seized.

temp: normal
oil pressure: okay
coolant level: optimum
oil level: optimum
speed: 100kmh
cambelt condition: excellent

i was hoping that the waterpump or the alternator had seized, but both are freely spinning.

the cams both move, as do the cam tensioners.

i'm starting to suspect that the main bearings have seized.

are there any other suspects?

why would this happen in a well-lubricated motor, at 78degC, under nominal load?

is it just a matter of changing the main bearings? oversize or reg? (they appear to be quite cheap on ebay)

also, people seem to suggest that you drop the motor out of an alfa33, but this looks difficult as the front crossmember would get in the way.
this is the first alfa i've owned, although i.ve wanted one since about 1974. it's been a great car for 3 years.

there's something inexplicably joyful about driving alfa romeo ...

peersthecat

hmm ... the motor isn't seized ... it turns using a long screwdriver on the flywheel ... but it seems a struggle for the starter motor to turn the engine over, like there is some kind of internal resistance.

Frank Musco

Is the Battery flat?
Maybe the alternator stopped charging, got a weak spark and the car eventually stopped.

Has the engine been knocking? Could be big end bearings if the engine has had a hard life in the past. Unusual to occur out of the blue, driving casually with good water and oil levels, and temp.
If this is the case, the crank will need to be ground because it wasnt caught early. Con-rods resized and so on.

Yep , remove engine and transaxle as a unit from underneath. Remove top engine/gearbox mount last. Remove front crossmember from body and suspension.  Easier with a hoist.

peersthecat

thanks frank.

no the battery is fine.

yes i was surprised. there was no knocking, and i don't thrash the engine, however the car just turned "classic" (manufactured in 1984), and i suppose there has to be a time when "something gives".

i don't think i'll go the route of a rebuild, i might just buy a running AR33 with no rego and swap the engines over.

thanks again for the input. peers.

Ray Pignataro

Frank have you had any experience with these sort of motors? lol. A compression test might be the next thing to do.

pep105

Peers theres always a few 33s floating around on ebay recently there was an 89 1.7ie listed at
$500 which had zero bids and it was a goer, its injected but you could always revert back to webers.

Otherwise theres a black sprint as a motor organ donor, then Frank and I will buy the rolling shell off you so we can build a Giocattolo replica with a mid mounted Alfa V6 (as per the original design intent)

What do reckon Dr Musco you in ?   

Apart from the good fluid levels and temp how was the engine running was it tired, sluggish/lacklustre ?
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

peersthecat

yes ... there are a few AR33s passing through ebay. i'll keep a regular lookout for a complete car in victoria. (one that i can drive to halls gap)

thanks for your input guys!

Frank Musco

Yep, I'm in Pep

Mid-mounted Alfa V6. Some might say, the way it should have been.