Supercharged SUD!

Started by Scott Farquharson, July 07, 2006, 12:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

For all you 900 series tragics - a supercharged Sud on ebay!  Go figure....

http://tinyurl.com/p4mou
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

Yup I remember this from the last time it was on ebay.  My concern is with the 4wd system - it's from the 4wd 33 wagon, a manually activated 4wd system much like the ubiquitous white subaru wagon or the brumby.  I don't think it has a centre diff and you couldn't drive it for any length of time on the asphalt.  Not sports oriented at all.

The proper AWD system from the P4 was something altogether else I believe - but still a lot of people seem to say the system adds too much weight compared to the benefits of increased traction.

There's various examples of turbo and super charging the boxer engine around - I like the level of development that Jason Wassname (magazine editor from AROCA NSW) has done.  Supercharged 16V boxer motor mounted in the spaceframe front end of his Sud.  This thing is sssseriously fast.

I'll try to dig out some more details...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

rain902

what was that promise that scott made?

if a sud wins the alfa club racing trophy scott is going to not only purchase, but actively campaign a 900 car. 

start saving your shekels Scott - that day will come!

Sheldon McIntosh

That is one kick a*** looking car!!  Might have to use my editorial privileges and find out more about that one methinks

Yes.  Life is like sand.

Southern75

Yeah Jason's sud is cool and damn quick and its only going to get quicker.

Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

Scott Farquharson

"Suditis" or "Sudsarefast Syndrome" - disease of the mind where the afflicted mistakingly believe that there are Suds that are actually fast.  Since this is a physical impossibility anyone who believes this has by definition this debilitating condition.

Sadly, there is no cure.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Southern75

Oh Scott,

You forget, while we are a little quiet on the fast alfa scene ... we have a sud that has achieve a 1.43.01 at eastern creek
you did a 1.47 correct?

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)

Scott Farquharson

Forgive my cynicism but ah, just how much Sud was actually left in that car???  Does the word "sports sedan" sound familiar........
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Southern75

motor is sud 8v (with extra herbs), rear axle is sud, gearbox is 33 16v .... does that count as sud? It's still front drive

Some of the body work is sud ... fiberglass guards and bonnet but doors and roof are sud, most of the suspension bar coil overs and slightly altered pick up points and watts linkage geometry (all pretty standard stuff really)

Brakes are inboard ... they are sorta sud ... well apparently they were specially homogolated  sud race brakes.

Yeah it is a sports sedan but (not seriously radical one) and that's pretty quick for a sports sedan too, most (of the top ones) are low 1.40's and are usually v8 and rear drive ... so i think for sud that's pretty fair either way.

We do have a sud on radials that has done a 1.55 flat (nothin real flash pretty standard looking with inboards and all) ...i believe you could get one probably 3 seconds faster than that, the fastest i have heard of in a radial shod 4 cyl alfa is  1;50;01. That was a 105 but that was probably good luck rather than good judgement.

1.55 is good for any radial shod alfa, but most suds are about the 1.57

I still think that's fair though. Don't you?

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Sheldon McIntosh

Do you have photos of this "sports sedan"?   Please.

Scott Farquharson

Ok, you guys are out of control,  What is the power to weight of said sud?  And what suspension mods!  For a car (sud) to do a 143 at EC it has to be seriously modified because that is very quick!!  I want more details so we compare this sud with virtually a standard Production Touring Car from the 80's with 250hp and weighing 1150kgs.  And before we start going "Oh its not standard" All it has are: a 250HP motor, 36mm torsion bars, big rear springs, bigger front sway bar, bigger brake calipers all round and that is it!  The rest is production.  Now bring a similarly specd Sud and we'll see what happens.....
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Sheldon McIntosh

Bring a similarly specced Sud to race a Group A GTV6?  Talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Someone's out of control.  Surely the challenge was ANY sud? 

Serious question time.  Does your car have an uprated bodyshell?  what about glass?  what's the brief history of the car?

Evan Bottcher

From http://www.malvern-group.com.au/dulux/

# 2.5 Litre SOHC V6 - original hi-compression engine as raced with Carrillo rods, factory race cams, custom built stainless steel headers, collectors and side muffler, oil cooler - around 270 BHP
# Factory close ratio straight cut geabox, triple plate Sachs clutch, balanced and tailshaft with uni's and bearings, setup for oil cooler on diff/gearbox
# Factory alloy front lower wishbones, spax shocks, 36mm front torsion bars, big rose jointed sway bar
# 120L aluminum "Bathurst" fuel tank
# Front - 4 pot Lockheed calipers on new aluminium hats and AP rotors, Rear - 4 pot Lockheed calipers, dual master cylinders and balance bar
# 16 x 9 inch wheels running 255/570/16 Dunlop Bias ply slicks

Hmm is it 250 or 270hp Scott?  You wouldn't overstate the power of the engine in an advertisement would you?

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)