alfetta gtv tacho position

Started by k76, July 17, 2008, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k76

Hi all,
First of many stupid questions to come:

Did we get ripped off here in Oz off with the tacho placement on the chrome bumper gtv's? Looks to me like  LHD cars got the tacho in front of the steering wheel (where it belongs), and we got the speedo there instead? Can it be swapped back (easily)?

Kris
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

alfagtv58

Yes, we did get ripped in Oz.  The tacho sits in the centre wheras the speedo sits in behind the steering wheel, the complete oppisite to everywhere else in the world.  This was due to the ADR's at the time.  I believe you can convert the existing ones, but it is not an easy job as the tacho is one solid PCB that incorporates the oil pressure, temp, and fuel level and you need to be pretty skilled with a soldering iron.  The easier way is to buy some Euro gauges if you can get your hands on some.  They bolt straight in.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

k76

Thanks Phil,

I'll leave the soldering alone I think, but I'll keep the euro gauges in the back of my mind if I ever come across any.

'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

greengtv8

Hi there, i've done that conversion to the early and late 116 gtv's. The earlier one with the speedo cable is easier(less cutting needed) and i currently have it done to the 82 gtv that i have now. If your local (Melb) and want to see the conversion, give me a yell. Is messy behind the dash, but alfa's always are.
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

John A Pucak

I have done the conversion on my 76GT Race car. All you need is a euro spec dash from a wrecker in Europe and  3 electrical wires. 2 wires for the tacho and the other for the high beam indicator, simple!!!. All the gauges are interchangeable,except speedo and tacho .You might find that your existing speedo cable is now too long, so you have to cable tie it down. Good luck

k76

Thanks John & gtv8. Found a few issues that take priority over tacho position so it will have to wait a little.

gtv8, no I'm not local in Melbourne. Lake Macquarie, NSW

'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS