GTV external window trim

Started by poohbah, August 01, 2015, 11:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Hi folks. Need some advice. I want to remove the external trim underneath the windows on my 81 GTV so I can get to any rust spots underneath the window. After sliding out the end cap on the trim below the rear window, it looks to me like it just clips on and should just lift off with some gentle leverage upwards.

However, before trying just want to check if it is it held on with any fasteners? If so, what sort, where are they, and how do you get to them?

Cheers
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTVeloce

Two screws if I recall correctly, accessed from inside the car. They are attached via a tab that hangs down from the strip you are trying to remove. Once the screws are removed you can just yank it up and off. Will need to remove the rear seats and side panels (both parts) to access them.

poohbah

1981 GTV

poohbah

Should have asked earlier - what about the external under-window trim on the doors? I presume they have a similar set up?

Can I get to the fasteners without removing the window glass?
            1981 GTV

kartone

for both and rear and front windows glass must be removed  :-\
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

poohbah

1981 GTV

kartone

front and rear window is easy to drop within the door/cavity, just release cable at clamp.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

poohbah

Easy? I must have been doing it wrong - I had a hell of a time reconnecting the front window cable after it came undone on its own recently. Two hours of swearing...

1981 GTV

Beatle

DON'T release the cable itself  :o.  Rather disconnect the window from the cable.  Leave the cables tensioned around winder and pulleys at all costs!!!   If you ever need to deliberately release the cables, make sure you wire them securely around the winder barrel beforehand.

From memory on my '76 and '79 coupes, the stainless trim holding the window seal is pop riveted inside the panels.

Pull the door cards, and maybe even the rear plastic deck trim to get at the rivets toward the rear.   The rear deck trim (where speakers normally reside) is also riveted in place.  Don't push the drill all the way through the trim when de-riveting..........
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bteoh

On the later plastic bumper models, the rear external window trim are only held on by friction clips and you just lift them upwards. The front door windows are different and you will need to remove the inner door cards, drop the window and drill out the pop rivets. Hope that helps :)

poohbah

Cheers guys - Will pull rear inner panels off and check whether its clips or screws. I suspect screws as its an early plastic bumper model.

And rest assured - I didn't release the front winder cable. The car managed to do that all by itself! Was an absolute pain in the arse to get back together. Hence the hours of swearing.
            1981 GTV

GTVeloce

I suspect they all had pop-riveted tabs. Only plenty of them have rusted and broken away from the trim piece!

You may be able to leave the glass attached. If you release the channel between the rear window and fixed glass (affixed top and bottom); then lower the window; the channel should tilt forward sufficiently to allow the rear glass to be removed. Then the channel tilts back and the window can come up and out of the way whilst staying attached and coiled correctly. I hope that makes sense?

poohbah

Cheers for the advice. Will give it a go.
            1981 GTV