Electronic ignition kit

Started by 1750GTV, April 02, 2008, 09:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1750GTV

A while ago in the Introduce Yourself topics ("New 105 1750GTV Owner (photos)") I posted an answer to a question about an electronic ignition kit from Dick Smith (#K3305). I'm not sure whether this kit is still available through DSE, but a very similar one, if not the same, is available through Jaycar Electronics (#KC5419). If you can use a soldering iron, these kits are easy to assemble and with a distributor points conversion (eg: Hall effect), they transform the ancient Kettering system used in the 105s.
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Jack

Hey there Chris
I've just found your reply on Hot Spark systems!
It was very comprehensive and informative.
Thank you very much.
I've got a Hot Spark system installed but have an issue after an hour or so running.
It starts to miss fire, or not fire at idle and I have to stab the throttle to get the motor up,
sometimes stalling.
I did the electrical meter tests in their notes when installing
and the amps to the distributor are well within spec.
9.3V / 3.6 ohms = 2.58 amps
I'm running a Bosch GT 40 coil.
I've got a new dizzy cap installed but the rotor button and the leads are still the old ones
so may they're the problem.
Guess I better throw a bit more money at it and replace the old links in the chain
before I go and buy more technology.
Thanks again for your great initial reply.
Cheers
Jack.
1975 Veloce

1750GTV

Jack,
I had a few teething problems too - mainly from an old, dud coil. I ended up replacing it as well as the distributor cap/rotor, a new set of HT leads and 4 Golden Lodge plugs. That was a year or so ago. The car now starts well, idles well and runs well.
I guess it is a bit like the weakest link thing and I think that now the weakest link is me when I drive it .....

I've since fitted another Hot Spark system to a spare distributor and noticed that the design was a bit different, so much so that the static timing may be out a bit when the distributor is refitted. You might check that while you're at it. Let us know how you go with it.

What breed of 105 do you own?
Regards,
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Jack

Hey Chris
The models Hot Spark supply are in this for case for the two different Bosch Dizzys.
Vacume advance and centrifugal advance.
When they sent me mine for my centrifugal they supplied the wrong one.
The cent model has the sealed electronics on a single base plate while the vacume model has
a base plate and a piggy back plate with the sealed switch unit on it.
They informed me that all I had to do was grind a bit off one of the plates and it would fit,
not voiding my warranty.
They were wright, it worked, I should have waited for another kit to be sent out
after sending the old one back but had been waiting two weeks to do the job after a work trip
and see and hear my Alfa fire electronically so here i am.
Got a new rotor button and some leads but have not got back into it as yet because it's all weddings and funerals for me at the moment. I'll get some more time next week and get into it.
I'll let you know how I go.
My 105, you can see it in my avatar.
here's a couple of more pics.
Cheers
1975 Veloce

1750GTV

Jack,
They did that to me also - asked for a centrifugal system, got a vacuum system so I just adapted it to fit. As you said, it's not hard. With the second system I ordered, they got it right and I'm waiting to get my car back from the painter to try it out. Either way, it's better than points.

Lovely 105 Spider - I've always wanted one to go with my GTV. Maybe one day ......

Regards,
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

freddie

Hey Chris , you're instilling abit of inititive  to do something. But, just wondering, this elect ignit., is it something that I could handle, ie., I don't know a thing about ignition systems or mechanics. Would'nt have clue about rotors and all that - very basic on the engine front.

Do you reckon I could fit a new electronic ignition to my 2000 spider. I'm a bit concerned that I might stuff it up completely & it wont start at all.

1750GTV

Hey freddie,
You will need some knowledge about ignitions to do this. Perhaps you could get some help from a mate or two. Replacing the points with a Hall effect sensor is a worthwhile conversion and if you and your mates do it, you'll get a buzz from successfully completing a small project and no doubt learn in the process. I've been working in and around these and other cars for years now and my knowledge has come from various TAFE courses, advice from knowledgeable mates and of course, sometimes, bitter experience. Do some reading, ask around and have a crack - if you've never failed, you've not done enough ....

These distributors are fairly bulletproof and so long as you don't resort to crow bars and hammers, any errors should be able to be cheaply fixed.

Regards,
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

adriank

Chris, i reckon you just need a "have a go attitude". If it stuffs up and car doesn't start - hopefully you have an understanding mechanic, who will be able to easily fix thie issue. All you have lost is some pride but learnt more about your car.
'74 GT 1600 Junior
'00 Kawasaki W650 (daily drive)

Jack

Hey Freddy
Getting back a bit later here but have you had a go with the ignition yet?
Was going to mention that the company HotSpark has some rather good instructions for fitting their systems.
Here's the link for the Bosch centrifugal advance distributor.
http://www.hot-spark.com/Installing-Hot-Spark.htm
Also here is a link to a rather good article on getting to know your distributor for a bit of back ground knowledge. A must if you want to have a play with it.
http://slbarn.mbz.org/articles/
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Jack
1975 Veloce

1750GTV

Any luck upgrading your ignition?
Anybody??

Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Jack

Hey Freddie
Did you have a go with the elec ignition kit?
It is a piece of p_ss if you take it step by step with the hotspark directions.
If your going to do it, or have done it, I'm sure you'll agree there's no going back.
Hows your GTV Chris?
Met this wonderful girl driving a GTV a little while ago...
but thats another story!
1975 Veloce

1750GTV

My GTV is humming along. It doesn't get driven much, but when I get it out on the road I really enjoy it.
Also glad to hear that there are a few beautiful people driving these old cars too - they will help to offset my generally scruffy appearance.
Regards,
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

1750GTV

I have a mate who also owns a 1750GTV and he has fitted a 123ignition that he bought from a supplier in Australia - it cost him about $400.00 (gulp). He got sick of his rattly old distributor and its points and put this electronic distributor in about a week ago.
I got a chance to drive the car this weekend and it is very nice - starts easily, idles well and accelerates strongly with no flat spots. The car is otherwise stock with twin Webers.
He has seen what I've done and could have done it also (he's a dab hand with a screwdriver) but would have had to rebuild his old distributor anyway as the shaft was pretty worn and the final cost would have been about the same.
Has anyone else in Oz had any experiences with this type of electronic ignition? I know that there has been considerable chit-chat on one of the other bulletin boards but they were mostly discussing either preparing cars with high states of tune for racing/competition or cars with Spica injection.
Regards,
Chris
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Barry Edmunds

I went through the electronic ignition hassles some years back and found that John (Will) Farnell at Ignition Developments in Seaford (9782 4722) solved my problems with a great system that has been on my last two Alfas and is currently on my Giulia Super. I would also suggest that you invest in a good quality set of plug leads rather than the el cheapo alternatives.
If you do go to Will you had better get there quickly as I believe that he will be moving to the country in the next couple of months.
The other benefit if talking to Will is that he is a club member and he loves Alfas.
Barry Edmunds