250 83 Twin Carb Sud Ti's

Started by DAMO1A, November 04, 2010, 07:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAMO1A

Make that 251 Alfasud Twin Carbs in Australia....nice story of a private import from the UK.  Does anyone recognise the owner:

http://www.eastmarinedrive.com/contents/non-static/alfasud-content.htm
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

colcol

My brothers twin carb sud is also stamped 071 on the B pillar!
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DAMO1A

It would be great to see what VIN the 250 83 Twin Carb Suds were.  Does anyone know where to find this info?
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

Ray Pignataro

mine is also stamped 071 on the b pillar but also on the firewallon the left hand side in the cabin

DAMO1A

My Twin Carb Sud just turned 27 years old!  Happy Birthday! Built Nov 83 and first registered on 12 Jan 84.
2015 Giulietta QV TCT

colcol

My Brother purchased his twin carb Sud in late 1984 , from club member Robert Murch, who had previously run it in the 1983-84 Sud series that supported the then Touring car series, some of the drivers in the Sud series included Dick Johnston, Allan Grice, Colin Bond, Tony Longhurst and i think Alfredo Constanzo and also Joe Bennica from Bennica Motors in Surrey Hills, my brothers car has always been registed and he has owned it  for over 26 years, he plans to hand it down to his daughter ELLA, [club member 1201B], on her 16th birthday, when my brother received his long service leave he spent 4 months driving the Sud around Australia in which he clocked up 40.000 kays, he spent around 10 years sprinting in the Alfa club sprints where he won various trophy's including Super Modified which seen it go up against more powerfull cars such as GTV 6's, he currently uses the car as his daily driver and workhourse, it even has ROOF RACKS for those trips down to Bunnings, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Colin

Fantastic to hear about your brothers' Sud still being used and enjoyed (and with a pending good home)! One query though is the Sud, a Ti Twin Carb (QV) or a series 3 Ti? My understanding is that the Sud series used series 3 Ti's and then fitted twin carbs in Aust for racing? Have seen a couple of the old Sud series cars and the twin carbs use very different mounting/ cables etc for the carbies compared to the QV Sud.

Happy Sud motoring

Thanks
Paul

colcol

My brothers Sud is a genuine twin carb with 36 I.D.F. Webers, some of the Suds that used to race i beleive were earlier ones converted to the later specs, so they could get full grids, there must be some old TV footage of these races somewhere, anybody know?, my brothers Sud still has the cutouts in the carpet where the half rollcage was installed, so crude compared to todays Race cars!, some of these various ex Sud series racecars were 'hotted up', and were run in various classes throughout Australia, I am the poor Suds mechanic and Carer, and when i think about my brother having to drive a 28 year old car, i just remember what an absolutely fun car it is to drive, hang on a minute he says it has a funny noise, i better go and drive it through some twisty roads to see if ican track it down, if you get what i mean, Colin.

Paul Newby

Many years ago AROCA NSW managed to obtain unedited footage of the Alfasud Trophy series direct from Channel  7. It even included a camera installation lap with Dick Johnson, who rehearsed a few of his jokes while circulating. I think there is a VHS tape somewhere in our library – it was shown at a club meeting a few years ago.

The Alfasud Trophy series ran in 1983 and 1984, which predates the arrival of the Australian spec Twin Carb Ti. Of course the outcome of the 1984 series ended up in court! Tony Longhurst punted off Allan Grice on the last lap at Amaroo and won the prize – an Alfa 33 that he promptly sold. Grice sued Longhurst, the promoter (the ARDC) and the prize giver (Alfa Romeo Australia) and actually won the case! It took over 10 years to work its way through court system and by good fortune (I was working in the legal industry at the time) I managed to see the settlement document. It made interesting reading...  :o

I know that the "Perrier" Alfasud was sold to Steve Downie who turned it into a turbocharged sports sedan that he still owns. I also recalled that he owned an ex-UK 1981 two door twin carb Sud Ti in dark blue, which I once drove. It was pretty quick, but the rust was already starting to take hold...  :'(

1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

alfagtv58

Professor Newby, I don't know where you store this stuff, but your depth of knowledge always blows me away!!

Off topic....are you going to the Grp S dinner Saturday night?  If so, see you there....I managed to swing a work trip to coincide.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Paul Newby

Hi Phil, I will be there. I'm part of the GSRA organising committee...

I hear that you will be spending some quality time with Hollywood while you are up in the Emerald City...  ;D

We can talk about the merits of Twin Carb Sud Ti's on the night...  ;)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Sportscar Nut

Agree with previous sentiments - fantastic information and appreciate your post Paul.

Know Joe B well and he does not talk highly of some of the other drivers in the series (mainly the V8 boys). Also rang Channel 7 many years ago and they were not helpful at all with obtaining footage so would love to get a copy of the video and get onto Youtube.

Have heard many positive feedback about Steve Downie and his Sud knowledge.

Enjoyable info.
Paul

colcol

One less twin carb Sud now, Hyundai rear ended brothers Sud, insurance company wrote it off, R.I.P. Sud, you were a great car, your loving carer and mechanic, Colin.

aggie57

Quote from: colcol on July 04, 2011, 08:55:34 PM
One less twin carb Sud now, Hyundai rear ended brothers Sud, insurance company wrote it off, R.I.P. Sud, you were a great car, your loving carer and mechanic, Colin.

Sad Colin - very sad!  Pass on commiserations to Steve.  He loved that car for many years. 

Hope he's OK.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

Bummer  :(

I remember Steve letting me drive that car around Phillip Island in the parade laps in 1997.  On slicks.  Very slowly.  I still nearly wet myself with glee!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal