3.0 build - starting from scratch

Started by martym00se72, February 12, 2013, 12:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

So - I have started the build of the 3.0.

Came from a dude in QLD - think it has come from a flood wreck - not what he said :( First pic is a chunk on the inch plus think clay silt in the bottom on the valley.

Have not been able to turn the motor over by hand. When I took off the oil filter and the sump, LOTS of murky varnish smelling liquid came out. Wasn't quite prepared for that so had the smelly crap all over the floor as I scrambled for buckets as my oil pan overflowed :( I also found that this crap was flammable so no naked flames... or kaboom. Lots of sludge in the bottom of the sump. Not sure why the block was full of flammable crap - any ideas?

Finally got to trying to stripping it down further - took off the water pump... mmm rust n crap...

Pulled off the heads - found the cams n valves move ok so that wasn't what was stopping it turning. Good news is that the stud bolts are in good order.

Around the sleeves - well you guessed it - full of crap.

Think the rings have rusted in the sleeves. Not liking that there is rust on other internals too...

So next is to get the big nut off the front with no rattle gun - ideas anyone?? What is the best way to go forward on this? This is my first ever dig into the internals of an engine - liking it but wondering if I have chosen something a bit beyond what I was thinking... I really want a 3.0 in the GTV6!  ;D

Happy to take on board any advice from those that have done it before :)

more to come I am sure.
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

Mick A

You can use an old engine bearing to hold the flywheel, but it may not be strong enough with the rust that is apparent.

I suggest buy a battery rattle gun and a 41mm socket off ebay perhaps? It will make your life easier!

I've built plenty of these engines, so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM. And I'll do my best to answer!

Cheers!

-Mick.

giulia_veloce

Hey Martymoose72.

Dont give up
I put a 3 litre from a 164 in my GTV and could not be happier
Just need to change the gearbox ratios now,as 1st gear is useless now
Twin spark ratios are the way to go.

I was not happy to see rust on the top of the conrod to the piston.
Looks like you will need new pistons + liners + ring set anyway.
Wonders what you will find when you remove the crank etc

Do what you want and enjoy doing it,,but maybe a quicker solution is to buy a running 164 and drop it in
Have a complete car here if you are interested.

Robert

Sheldon McIntosh

It's definitely worth the headache and funds to install a 3.0, the torque increase is addictive.

I'd be giving up on that engine though; strip it and use the block as an interesting coffee table.  As Rob says, get a running 164 for $500 and do it that way. 

There's no way you'll get the nut off by hand (in my experience anyway), let alone the flywheel bolts.  And I don't think even a battery rattle-gun would do it, but maybe if it's a very good one.

I was lucky when I got my 3.0 engine that it cost me bugger-all, but I still spent about $1000 on tools to ensure I could do the job.  If you have the room and funds, definitely get yourself a compressor and rattle-gun, and an engine crane.  Sorry, don't know where you are, but if you're in Melbourne you're welcome to use my engine crane; it's reasonably portable, but you'd need a ute to transport it.

martym00se72

Thanks for the offer of the crane Sheldon. I am in Adelaide and already have a crane and a reasonable and growing tool kit. Started doing some figures on what I might need to replace on the engine I have. Starting to add up. Rob, can you pm me what you are after for your 164, should look at that as a realistic alternative but I guess that might also need some work too. I may very well have just donated 500 to to the guy who sold me the engine. Bugger.

Storm_X

"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

martym00se72

Storm, it was from a 75, earlier one that ran L-jet. Fly wheel bolts came off OK BTW, but am now looking at alternatives to this motor as it will cost a lot more time and $$ than finding a decent 164 motor. Gotta be adaptable I guess...

festy

Quote from: martym00se72 on February 13, 2013, 09:54:55 PM
it was from a 75, earlier one that ran L-jet.
I thought all fuel injected V6 3.0s were Motronic cars? Were there some that came out with L-Jet?

Anthony Miller

Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: martym00se72 on February 13, 2013, 09:54:55 PM
Fly wheel bolts came off OK BTW

Ah ok, didn't mean to steer you wrong there, but I had a bastard of a time getting a flywheel off my 164 engine.  I ended up having to go and borrow a better rattle-gun, and that only just managed it with my (borrowed) cheap compressor.  Maybe mine had been taken off and re-installed with the you'll-never-get-those-bolts-out-again brand of Loctite.

I'm sure you're aware, but just-in-case, the 164 engine needs a bit of work before it will go into a transaxle car.  I spent a few months doing mine, but I estimate that doing it again, I could probably do it in a weeks-worth of working on it at night.  That's assuming you don't need to order any parts once you get your 2.5 out, and assuming it all goes smoothly (I also had a hell of a time getting studs out of the 2.5, which took a few nights to solve).  I also got new engine mounts, rebuilt the steering rack etc. 

I still think it would be the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to go for your situation, but then again if you rebuilt the 3.0 you have it will be a rebuilt engine....

Repco Lad

Marty,

If you decide to cut your loses, there's a 164 Alfa 'Remeo' up your way on ebay at the moment for around $300. You may be able to make a goodun' out of the two

Like many, I've upgraded to a 3.0lt. It's worth a bit of agro at the moment. In 6 months when you're blasting around, it will all be a distant memory.

Note: pack a needle and thread, 'cos a gtv with a 3lt is a ball-tearer!

RL

martym00se72

Thanks Repco - except I am down in Adelaide - my dud engine came from QLD though. Would be a real shame if people could learn to spell Alfa Romeo correctly... ;D Makes you think that if they can't even spell the brand correctly, what hope do you have of them actually looking after the car.

I am following up a lead on a local 164 engine - got some photos overnight - looks like it could be the goods!

Needle and thread kit sorted!

Beatle

Quote from: Repco Lad on February 14, 2013, 04:15:44 PM
Marty,

If you decide to cut your loses, there's a 164 Alfa 'Remeo' up your way on ebay at the moment for around $300. You may be able to make a goodun' out of the two!

RL

According to the listing, the engine in that Alfa Remeo 164 has a burnt valve, and is on LPG...............
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

wankski

Quote from: Repco Lad on February 14, 2013, 04:15:44 PM
Note: pack a needle and thread, 'cos a gtv with a 3lt is a ball-tearer!

LOL.

i suggest if you're doing these kinda jobs, it's time for a GOOD impact wrench. Air driven.

I would suggest the battery jobbies would struggle with the crank pulley nut.... my proper made in UDA aircat wrench zapped it off easy enuff... my battery impact would have no hope in hell...

JME.

martym00se72

So, checked out a second motor. 164 this time round. More work but it might actually happen with tis one :) Paid deposit and looking to pick it up on the weekend. It is a significantly better option than working on this one so I am encouraged again! Looking at a mains powered rattle gun rather than battery - I figure it is a pretty good compromise. They claim ~350NM torque so worth a shot rather than getting a whole compressor (and finding a home for it) etc...