Alfa 166 Owners

Started by alfagtv152, November 06, 2012, 09:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
Who else drives a 166?.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

AGM155

I have one. It's not daily driven though.

There can't be many of us - I believe there were 516 delivered to Australia 1999-2007. Would be interested to know the number registered now because a fair number seem to have already succumbed to cambelt/gearbox failure or accident damage.

Still, I love my 166, it's my favourite car.

edit: My name is also Andrew  :)

alfagtv152

Hi Andrew,
Looks very nice in red,looking very good. How do you find the aircon?. Does yours have the phone,sport throttle response switch or traction control switch?,mine does not.
Cheers
Andrew

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: AGM155 on November 06, 2012, 07:07:29 PM
I have one. It's not daily driven though.

Drooling over that pic, AGM155 - that's very nice.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

VeeSix

Can anyone confirm the wheel PCD of a 166?
I have had conflicting reports of 5 x 98 and 5 x 108
Are they either of these thruout the model range or did they start at 5 x 98 then change later thruout the model range?  :o
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

AGM155

Veesix, All 166s are 5x108. Wheels off non-brembo cars won't fit the models with brembo because they will not clear the larger calipers.

Andrew, I find the aircon is fine, a lot better than my daily drive 156. Traction control and phone were included on Australian cars from the 2002 model year, with cars complianced after the middle of 2001. Although my car is registered November 2001, it was complianced before this and subsequently doesn't have those features. It does however have the 4kw that went missing from the upgraded emissions gear.

As for Sport Throttle Response, this button was only found on manual versions of the 166, which weren't officially sold here. The Sportronic Automatic gearbox which we got automatically activates the Sport Throttle Response when flicked across into sequential mode.

alfagtv152

Thanks Andrew,
Very informative,I am new to modern Alfa's (FWD) and have only had my 166 for a few months. I am slowly becoming familiar with mechanical and technical issues with this model as I have had few little issues but it is lovely to drive and can get comfortable in the seat,love the heat when the weather is not hot.
Cheers
Andrew

KickIt

I drive a black 166: a pre-facelift 2004 Sportronic model. 
It does have capacity for a phone apparently; it wants a card for it, and there isn't actually a phone installed anywhere so I'm not sure how that would work.

AGM155

If your car has the phone, there will be a SIM card slot on the right hand side of the ICS with an eject button above it.

This is for a credit card sized SIM card. You can buy converters off ebay for our normal sized versions.

Alfa166

I am a long time owner of 166 , let me know if you have any questions on their issues

KickIt

Quote from: AGM155 on November 15, 2012, 12:33:13 PM
If your car has the phone, there will be a SIM card slot on the right hand side of the ICS with an eject button above it.

This is for a credit card sized SIM card. You can buy converters off ebay for our normal sized versions.

Oooh, mine does have the SIM slot & eject button - but where's the actual phone?  :o

alfagtv152

Hi there,
I believe it is built in to the car and controlled from the ICS (Integrated Control System) in the Dash,all you need to do is insert a valid sim card but you need an adaptor for our normal(small) ones which I am told is available on the internet.

How about some more pictures Please of Your Cars?.
Cheers
Andrew Scadding

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
I bought another 166,Black with Red interior and I love the colour combo.Built 02 Australian compliance 03
It has the phone built in and I tried fitting my Optus phone sim back into it credit card size card that it came in and it did not register,I then had a look at another full size Optus card I had previosly and I noticed the break out spots were different from one card to another so I tried that one but still no go.
Next I looked up forums and others seem to work on Vodaphone so I went to Vodaphone today and bought a sim (Full size) for $10 that lasts 7 days but can be recharged for $20 with a 365 day expirey which I think would do me well as it wont get much direct use and can divert my phone to it I think.
Put the sim card in and it searches the network and comes up with 5 out of 6 bars but says emergency only!,I called Vodaphone and they were no help.
Does anyone have any ideas or answers for me?!.

alfagtv152

some more pics

datwazclose

G'day Andrew,

Wow beautiful 166 man, l to have a bit of a soft spot for them, really like the styling, unique and sexy.
l can't help you with the phone thing though, lol.

Have a great Easter.

Cheers Paul