thoughts

Started by alfa331.7, August 01, 2012, 01:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa331.7

hi guys

im just about to pick up a sud 1983 single carb 1.5 engine unregistred hadnt been started in 8 yr but apprently the bloke started it fine aftr 10 mins the other day
my intention to buy it is to fix the brake issue , hook up a new handbrake cable ,compression test,freshen up the belts etc,fuel filter air filters and tidy it up
only issue is a bit of rust which i was suspecting it would have  (bit of bog will fix it temporarily :) )and a good do over of matte black

now has anyone ever seen a matte black 33 or sud i havent and im interested in doing this to the sud if anyone has fotos id appreaciate it :)cheers

Sheldon McIntosh

Want a twin-carb 1983 'sud?  Hardly any rust.....

Anthony Miller

this matte black business is becoming a bit of a trend, in qld at least,  saw two latest model dunnydoors with flouro 20" rims, dropped on their guts and matte black paint.Must be a driftin thing ???
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Anthony Miller on August 01, 2012, 01:29:40 PM
this matte black business is becoming a bit of a trend, in qld at least,  saw two latest model dunnydoors with flouro 20" rims, dropped on their guts and matte black paint.Must be a driftin thing ???

I think it's more of a Euro-tuner thing.  BMWs and Mercedes offer matte finishes on some of their high-end cars.  They can look pretty good I reckon, I've seen a couple of C63s in matte black and they look pretty mean.  I saw a C63 last week in matte purple, and that looked incredibly sh!t.  I shudder to think what happens to a matte finish if you get a bird crap on it and don't wipe it off straight away though.

I actually don't mind matte black, but probably only for racecars or rat-rods.

If you're halfway decent at photoshop, you can do a mock-up of how it will look in 30 minutes or so.  I did this one earlier this year of our shitbox Alfetta.

Ray Pignataro

the matt colors are actually shrink wrap leaving the original paint underneath and protected. not cheap can be seven or eight grand to do

Sheldon McIntosh

No Ray, I don't think that is correct.  For sure there are wraps that can be done (I was contemplating doing Ironsides in a carbon fibre wrap, before I realised it would look pretty shit..), but BMW and Mercedes matte jobs are a special paint, which in some cases is not covered by warranty as it's so hard to look after.

References....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1047132_dont-touch-the-matte-paint-2011-bmw-m3-frozen-gray-coupes-paintjob-is-fragile

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/04/22/bmw-frozen-paint-guidelines/

http://jalopnik.com/5584833/bmw-to-m3-owners-dont-wax-your-car-ever

http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/357150-mercedes-matte-paint.html

Sheldon McIntosh

Although I'm guessing the matte purple was probably a wrap, no way Mercedes would offer that colour.  Geez it looked shithouse!!

Beatle

Blackboard paint isn't a new thing and gives the kids something to draw on........ :D
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

alfa331.7

hi sheldon id love a twin carb sud but unfortunatly i live in sydney and would not be keen on a high fee to get it couriered over

i think the matte back looks nice if it is done properly and it does not suit all cars

a sud with a body kit espicially a wide body kit with nice 5 star rims (white) and a matte black spray job lowered on its ass with a straight pipe exhaust  would look amazing

but thats just me

my 33 is too good to destroy so ill do it to a sud :)

alfa331.7

i have to go to jenolan caves to pick it up
anyone know of a cheap car courior in sydney
?????/

Ray Pignataro

Sheldon I was basing my post on a friends maserati that was done in the mat wrap, I guess there are other ways to get the same finish

VeeSix

Matte only looks good on certain applications, a whole car yuk, give me a nice coat of clear anyday  :).
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Southern75

One of the bigger Honcho's from the McCarrols group here in Syd has a Lexus ISF done in matte black wrap ... i dare say it looks pretty awesome. Saw an x6 the other day in lime green matte wrap ... that wasn't anywhere near as bad as you'd think. i don't think Italian cars suit it though
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

colcol

My local paint and panel beating supply shop owner has a X5 in matt black, looks like a rubbish paint job with no gloss, didn't appreciate me asking him when is he giving a cut and polish, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]