Started by alfa331.7, July 15, 2012, 04:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa331.7

hi guys last night i blew my diff first time ever

what can i do now

iv got a spare one off my 1.5 will that fit my 1.7
and how hard is the job? and where iss the diff

colcol

Go to a wrecker and get a complete 1.7 transaxle, that is diff and gearbox, get a warranty, and make sure it is the right one for your model, so that the gear ratio's and final drive will be the same, if you have broken the crownwheel and pinion, then the gearbox casing is most likely damaged as well, the 1.7 crownwheel and pinion's, are a bit more heavy duty than a 1.5, they have for example 12 bolts, where the 1.5 has 10 bolts, they don't last forever, they turn so many billion times and then they go bang, the diff is between the 2 driveshafts, the job is extremely difficult to easy as, depending on how experienced you are, for example you need to know how to set the diff up with bearing blue, so that you get the right amount of contact on the crownwheel to pinion, this is achieved through shimming the pinion and side diff carriers, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alfa331.7

hello colin
false alarm i did not blow the diff just popped the jv arm out of the diff

lucky on that one :)

quick question iv broken all my clips from my zender side skirts would you have a clue where i could get clip like that or similar

cheers alfio

colcol

Did you mean you have popped the constant velocity joint out of the diff or the diff carrier out of the diff?, if you are in Victoria, you could try Bill Thomson Auto Rubbers in Bayswater, round the corner from MONZA MOTORS, or Rare Spares in Roxborough Park or Bayswater, failing that give Repco, Supercheap, Autobahn, a Panel Beating supply place or Ebay, you might not get what you want, but you will get what you need, [to get you out of trouble], Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]