QR Street sprints 8 July

Started by bowds116, July 02, 2012, 04:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowds116

That`s right people, this Sundays QR street sprints is an Alfacomp event. Be there or be last! ;D
current : 1980 Alfetta GTV 116 (w/TS running gear)
              2001 156 TS manual
             1998 GTV V6

MD

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

See you blokes out at the paperclip. I haven't had a run on it since it was resurfaced. Can't wait.

Bear157

Booked and paid...ready to throw the little white 'fetta around again!

Hopefully it's the last run with the old donk and tranny...

Has been ages for me also at QR Ipswich, so looking to smash my old PB all the way back to Italia...sono emozionato!

MD

ARRGH ! Negatory. This is a street cars only sprint event. I need to be in the "open sprint " series intended for race cars. So no, I wont be there after all.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

MD,

Don't worry about that jargon mate. Any cars are welcome - it's just that race cars won't be counted in the QR point scores, which we never give a toss about. Joolie isn't exactly road-legal!

When you fill out the entry form just tick the "yes" box to the question of whether or not your car meets the street class requirements. They even have that question on the open sprint entry form for some daft reason.

See you there,

Brent

MD

Talk about bloody confusing. I'm going by this straight off their website :

Street Sprints (SS) Drivers: $145.00* Spectators: FREE
8 July | 22 July | 30 Sep | 14 Oct | 18 Nov | 2 Dec
Drivers Briefing at 12 noon and first group on track at 12:30pm.
The series is open to road registered vehicles only and must be fitted with street legal tyres and exhaust. Eligible cars will be divided into four categories: 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder, All Wheel Drive (AWD). Turbo-charged and or/supercharged air induction vehicles will move up by one category (except AWD). The Street Sprints will be held at Queensland Raceway (Sprint Circuit) and Lakeside Park. Sprint Format 4 x 4 lap sessions + passenger laps if time available.
Then  after your post hammer, I find this in another part of the site :
Street Sprints $145 per sprint*
The Series is open to all vehicles, they must be fitted with street legal tyres and exhaust. Eligible cars will be divided into four categories. 4 Cylinder , 6 Cylinder , 8 Cylinder , All Wheel Drive.Turbo charged and /or supercharged air induction vehicles will move up by one category. (Except AWD)
Race and Unregistered cars may enter the Street Sprints, but they will NOT be awarded points for the series
The Street Sprints will be held at Queensland Raceway (Sprint Circuit) and Lakeside Park.
Sprint Format. 3 x 4 Lap sessions + Passenger Laps if time available.

This has stuffed me around no end. First I made arrangments to go. Locked it in. Then after I read the website street sprint definitions and made a phone call to the track to qualify it was told only registered cars could participate. Naturally I cancelled the arrangments. Now I need to unscramble the egg again.  Faaark !!

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

I'll give you a call in the morning. We've hit this stumbling block a few times as we've wanted to schedule one of their street sprints as an AROCA sprint round. We've clarified it with QR general manager Keith Lewis a couple of times and he assures us that any of our racers are most welcome to run, they just won't have any points counted toward the QR sprint championship. Unfortunately you must have struck a newbie on the phone.

Catch you on the phone tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Brent

Bear157

LOL...If they take out the 2L cars with numbers, cages and semi-slicks they stand to lose numbers and $$$

I've done all but one event in Sprints running in the Alfetta, that is not as modded as the Hammermobile, but will also never see the road again. Come and play MD.

MD

Thanks for the call hammer. Back in the swim. Now let's hope for a dry day !!  :D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

We got a dry day and no more beauraucratic hassles. Shared the Cab between two drivers and set about going as quick as we could. Took a while for the cold plugs to warm like the tyres but once on temp, the Cab was percolating as well as a street engine could.

Very happy with the handling of the car.

A small nuisance was some residual air in our brakes as we had fitted a new master cylinder and could't quite get all the air out of the lines in time for the track. (sometimes if you leave them stand, they sort them selves out, but not apparently on the day) Winning time under brakes was not a forte on the day but that is just a small glitch for now.

Rob, Steve, Colin, Mel, Brent, Chris, Chucky and Jenny thanks for your contribution to fun a packed day. Nice to catch up with you Mark and I am sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with the Regularity king, Doug. There just wasn't the time !

A special highlight of the day was meeting James, the mechanical engineer who built the roll cage in the Cab in the first place for rally work. We had a brief but interesting exchange as I was due to get in the que.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

Great to see the Cab flying MD. Great driving mate. And sensational driving by your son - steering the old man's car like he stole it!

Special mention to Col Wenzel as well, who pulled a 62.7 in the old Paul Ross Alfetta GT to top the AROCA time sheets. That's a quick lap in anyone's language.

Alas, I towed Joolie on a 370km round trip to get in half a hot lap before something in the gearbox gave way. Still, it was a nice day to watch my mates go at it.

Cheers.

jimnielsen

Have you stripped the GB yet to find out what went wrong?

jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Bear157

Some good times on the day. Anything better than your PB is a good day.

MD

Yes hammer, I am very pleased with the son's latent driving skills and I am delighted to to have the opportunity to introduce him to motor sport in the best brand in the world. (said tongue in cheek). My second son who is the actual owner of the car was not able to make the day but no doubt will surface in future meetings.

We are going to invest in another six months of training in the car in its current form as it's doing a good job as a mid fielder and forces the drivers to stay sharp to get results. Brute power will get anyone up the front

..naturally the old man has the most to improve...bloody kids !!  >:(  :D

Well done Colin.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0