Gtv 6 2001 stoping after 20 minutes of driving

Started by aarc, June 09, 2012, 06:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarc

Hi just wanted to know if any one could help me I have a gtv 6 2001 model 6speed great car but lately after driving for about 20 minutes it stops  then after 1hour it starts again  then stops after 20 minutes could any one let me know if it has happened to them  help please thanks

wankski

classic crank sensor issue. cheap replacement, not too hard to fit... HTHs

colcol

Its not a time issue, its a temperature problem, cold its ok, warms up and stops, when it stops, lift the bonnet to speed up the cooling down process, once it starts, drive it to your Alfa service provider, as eventually it will completely fail, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

aarc

Thanks guys do you think it could also be the throttle body 

colcol

I would go with Wankski suggestion, as he said, classic crank sensor problem, throttle body would be next thing to check after replacement of cheaper crank sensor, would take it to Alfa service provider, so that you actually replace the faulty part, after its hooked up to an Alfa Examiner, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi?MOD_COD=163&COUNTRY=012&GRP_COD=551&CAT_COD=W0&SBMK=R&DRIVE=D&MAKE=R&COMM_MODEL=GTV&ALL_FIG=0&LANGUAGE=3&PREVIOUS_KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&NEW_HTTP=TRUE&ALL_LIST_PART=0&SB_CODE=-1&KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&PRINT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1&SGRP_COD=1&SGS_COD=2&DRW_NUM=2

Crank sensor is item#1

If it's anything like the one on my 156 (or golf), it will be held in with one small 6mm bolt, a bastard to get at, and the easiest most rewarding fix you will ever do.  Your symptoms are classic crank sensor fail (any new car)

Put your VIN into ePer and it will tell you the Alfa part#. Order from your preferred supplier (UK) and DIY.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

aarc

Hi all does any one know where I can get a crank sensor quickly thanks

wankski

it is a std BOSCH part.

BOSCH no.0261 210 203

go here and look for a dealer near you:

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/921.htm

click find a dealer at the top and select car auto parts and u can search for one near you....

or you can get the part from your local alfa dealer....

make sure u extract the rubber washer thing when u take the old one out... if you install the new one plus washer over the old one, it will be too far to register the crank... common mistake...