Sway and Torsion Bars

Started by Storm_X, April 16, 2012, 07:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midda Samid

I found that Pedders offer an "on car" suspension damping test.. they load your car onto it and adjust for car weight.. turn it on and it logs suspension travel and damping of spring by sending the wheel into oscillation and measuring effort and graphing.. might be a good start to get a baseline. It is usually used to compare info with manufacturers spec data to check wear, but might serve as a guide at least for understanding what is happening..

Also have done a little research regarding expected oscillation of a well dampened or well setup damping system for a given spring, and it reminded me of something I learned many years ago when playing with remote control cars.. if the spring is over dampened in rebound, as in it is slow to return to ride height, then multiple bumps on a single wheel will actually unload the wheel as the compression damping allows the spring to compress, but the rebound damping doesn't enable the spring to return. You in effect get a resulting 3 wheeled car..

'77 116 GTV

aggie57

Yep - that's know as 'pumping down'. At least thats what we used to call it. Very common especially with Koni' where the rebound is adjustable but the bump isn't.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Duk

Quote from: aggie57 on August 28, 2012, 06:57:07 AM
Yep - that's know as 'pumping down'. At least thats what we used to call it. Very common especially with Koni' where the rebound is adjustable but the bump isn't.

Also read the term 'Jacking down' a few times, tho it sounds rather counter intuitive.

scott.venables

and I've heard it referred to as 'packing'