window issues

Started by ozchips, November 13, 2011, 08:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozchips

hi guys
have a new problem, the rear front passenger window no longer works, when you press the power you hear a click and the motor but nothing else. the weight of the window is also making it slide down so it is like there is nothing holding the window in place. I have had a look and it looks fine to me (but then I have nfi on what i am looking for) but i suspect something, a worm gear perhaps? is stripped.
Any ideas and any hints on what to do ?

shiny_car

Hey.

What car? And when you say you "had a look", you mean the door trim's been removed, the mechanism, motor?

Can you hear the motor running? I wonder if the tabs securing the mechanism to the actual glass has broken.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

Tell us what model car it is, then we can work out what the problem is, the good news is that the electrics seem to work ok, as you said you could hear the motor running, you will have to carefully pull the door trim off and look at all the mechanicals of the window lift system, it should be pretty obvious when you get to look at it, for example a broken lift wire, seized up pulley, broken link, window out of channel guide, when you look at it, and it is something major, it may be best to get another one from an Alfa wrecker, as they are not too expensive now, and these things are not serviced, and there are usually no spare parts available, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

ozchips

sorry guys, been a few months since i posted last, it is a 156 2002.
I found a pciture of the mechanism and figured out the issue.
The plastic clips that hold the cable to the glass have broken.
now can you just get these ? is it an alfa repair job or p[retty much a unioversal repair.
I would imagine that pretty much all widnows on most cars have the same system

shiny_car

As per colcol, I suggest a wrecker, and buy the whole mechanism.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

If the clips look reasonably normal, you might be able to get something at Repco, however it is a 156, and there are plenty around at Alfa wreckers it might be quicker to just replace it with a good second hand unit, and they are the same for 147, so getting one should be easy, replacing it won't be easy, as the 156 has intrusion bars in the doors that get in the way of things, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]