Fixing a bent Con-rod

Started by dominic, November 05, 2011, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dominic

After looking to buy a 147 with earbox problems, I thought it would be best not to go a head.

I have seen a few Alfas for sale. And one has caught my eye. 

A 1997 GTV, has been written off due to been driven through flood water.

The only damage found was a Bent Con Rod. 

Is this a big thing to fix? The car isn't that pricey.  Under 2k. 

Has anyone fixed or know Of anyone who has had it fixed? And any idea how much it will cost?!?

Thank you. 

Dominic. 

colcol

The conrod has been bent due to the engine being 'HYDRAULICKED', that is swallowing a huge amount of water, while the engine is still running, there are plenty of engines around at wreckers, if its a twin spark, there will also be problems with water damage to electrics and computers, thats why they wrote it off, run a million miles from this car, buy a good one they are cheap enough now, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

a car like this is for a mechanic... if you have to ask....

it is possible to do it in-situ without removing the engine - but it is a complete engine rebuild...

remove head(s)... drop sump, drop crank, withdraw pistons w/ rod from below...

replace rebuild...

a nice project for someone...

as colin said, easy to buy a donor motor...

dominic

It is a 2.0l.

From what you have said, I may.  Everything seems to work, (hooked it up too a new battery lights etc worked)

How much do 2nd hand motors go for at the wreckers?

Thanks,

Dominic.  

ANG156

A 1997 GTV has the first series ts motor i.e metal inlet manifold as opposed to the later ts cars which have the plastic inlet manifold. They are a little harder to find at wreckers today since they are less common than the later models. If it was the second series motor, i have a 156 i am wrecking with a 100,000kms motor that i could have sold to you.

wankski

second hand TS typically $1200... call up alfawreck, should have something...

thing is tho for a condition unknown motor, u're pretty much cracking it anyway - but should not have to replace anything expensive...

iffin it was me - out of the car i would do:
1) full cam belt kit + WP
2) if variator good, keep - otherwise seriously think of swapping
3) at least new Balance belt
4) probably new accessory belt..

i would crack the head and do the gasket - drop the sump and check the big end shells.... these are both weak points of the TS, esp if it copped a broken cambelt repair and no one bothered to change the shells...

its worth doing this - as 1) u check u have a sound motor and 2) things like shells can write off the crank in short order leading to yet another uneconomical repair...

with the current engine and g/b split - seriously consider doing a new clutch kit. (w/ throw out and slave)

if the donor stuff is over 100k and the car is too, i would do all of the above...

if you did you would have a sound drivetrain for a very long time...

or you could wing it...

my problem w/ the swap is u are ostensibly paying a mech to perform the swap.... not cheap.... i would think at least $2k easy labour...

so you have 1.2k motor 2k labour if lucky and 2k car...

you're up to 5.2k...

sorry but you can get into early ts gtvs, spiders and 156s for that - running...

and in either case you still got cam belt kits, clutches and other things to pay for...

worse, u can't really tell the condition of a non-working car...

as i said, it's good for a DIYer as they can pick up a cheap example of the car they want - and in any pre 2000 alfa, a lot of stuff needs to be done...

so 2k car... maybe 2k parts and they've got a sorted car.... that makes sense...

spending 6k+ all up to simply nurse this back to the road makes little sense to me...

colcol

And it all depends on how high the water was, if it was low the airflow pickup point on a 156 is quite low at the front and your motor will be hydraulicked, but if it was higher, you may have some issues with water damage to computers and sensors, if you could get an Alfa examiner on to it you could see any possible money pits, this is why insurance companies always write off water damaged cars, i remember after the Queensland floods, a few months later there were cheap 156's on ebay with 'only a bent conrod', wrong with them, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dominic

Thank you all, really great to get that much help!!!

So the GTV was kicked to touch. 

I have just got at 156!! 2002 87k on the clock.  Needs a new rear bumper. 

Apart from that all dandy!!!

One slight problem...it's in Sydney. 

Anyone know a good transport company.  Cheapest I've been quoted is 554 door to door...

Thanks

Dom.

ANG156

I have previously used this guy before;

His name is Peter 0407 215 399. He transported my Fiat from Gundagai which was a non runner so it required a tilt tray truck. However, if the 156 starts and drives, then it would be easier for them to pick it up and cheaper. If you ring him, tell him Angelo from Abruzzo Auto Electrical recommended you. He should still remember since he has picked up cars from my dad's shop before and also for my friend Vince from Nismo performance.

So what colour is the car? I have a rear bumper if interested.

dominic

Thank you, Angelo,

Its black, I want to do a full service and have timming belts changed etc.

How much do you want for it?

Will post pictures when she gets here...Fingers crossed before next weekend..

ANG156

Dom,

I have the bumper listed on ebay for $200. You can have it for that price.

Here is the link to the ad if you want to have a look at some photos.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRICES-LISTED-WRECKING-1999-Alfa-Romeo-156-2-0-Manual-1Bulb-only-/230691023913?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b641ac29

dominic

Thank-you. 

Will let you know, only downside is it will need spraying black...