Is it a flat battery?

Started by AndrewM, July 24, 2011, 07:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewM

Hi everyone. I have recently bought a 2005 156 JTS manual wagon. This afternoon I was in it, in the garage, playing with the radio (setting stations, menu settings etc), when after about 30 minutes the radio switched itself on and off a couple of times, then stopped working. Then there were some warning messages on the display - ABS system failure, EBD system failure, VDC system failure. I tried to start the car, but there was nothing (no clicking, just dead). I panicked a bit about the warning messages (Go to dealer/do not proceed! etc), but I am now guessing that a flat battery is the most logical explanation. (The car had mostly been sitting in the garage for the last couple of weeks, with very little driving. Running perfectly, BTW).

Is this a reasonable conclusion? Do warning messages show up if a battery is flat?

If so, what precautions should I take in charging up the battery? Don't want to fry any electrics, but would rather not have to disconnect and reset codes etc

Really happy for any assistance/advice
AndrewM -156 JTS 2.0 Wagon (first Alfa, still feeling a bit nervous)

Colin Byrne

yea sounds like a flat battery for sure, ABS/VDC will show a warning when the battery level goes under a particular voltage (usually around 9V) so the engine won't turn over, best thing to do would be a jump start and then take it for a good drive.
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

bix

Just be careful on jump starting AndrewM. I recently had a flat battery on my 156 TwinSpark and RACV advised they wouldn't jump start it due to a "delicate ECU" which could be affected. There are a number of forums including this one which have information on it eg. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/202948-jump-start-precautions.html. I believe you can safely jumpstart by attaching the positive connection, not directly to the battery, but to the terminal on the box above the battery - but I can't verify this.

I purchased a battery charger for about $90 and charged the battery after removing all the attached wiring.

colcol

If you have a battery charger, then charge it up, but disconect the battery leads first, so you don't fry any computers, sometimes when jump starting, the alternator from the other car or your car might give out a voltage spike of a million volts and cause damage to the computers, and try to always use jumper leads that have a surge protector, that will prevent a voltage spike from the donor car, but won't protect voltage spike from your car, but make sure you have the reset code for your radio, unlike me, but thats another story, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AndrewM

Thanks guys. I charged up the battery, and I'm back in business. Back in love with my 156!
AndrewM -156 JTS 2.0 Wagon (first Alfa, still feeling a bit nervous)

Victor Lee

AndrewM: Can you ascertain if it's the original battery?  If it is, check the condition of it and if it's holding charge.  The original battery in our 159 failed after 2.5 years.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

colcol

Has anyone got any ideas why Alfa Romeo don't put a 'accessories' on the ignition switch, that is you switch the ignition to accessories, but without everything being on, like the motor ignition, so that you can say listen to the radio without flattening the battery, while in the garage or while washing it, come on someone must have a reason, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Our 159 has no 'acc' position on the ignition (well actually it's just an on/off button).  But the radio works if you turn it on after you stop the car.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

Thanks for the good tip Evan, if you turn the ignition off, the radio switches off, then press the on button, and the radio switches on, so many things i don't know about my 156, must read the instruction manual, Colin.