156 v6 as a first car

Started by yeahSCOTTT, May 06, 2011, 11:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeahSCOTTT

im looking at first cars and like the idea of an alfa 156 v6 manual for a first car.
what are some pros and cons?

Sheldon McIntosh

Cons:  Finding one.  The maintenance costs.

Pros: Everything else.

colcol

You could book in to the 156 workshop night at Maranello Pur Sang Motors on 27th May and ask a few questions, for bookings phone 0407 090 826 or email drtool@bigpond.com.au, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

alanm

We have a 156 V6 Monza auto, its a great car and we have had zero problems with it.
I reckon a manual would be an excellent first car.

My only advice, get comparative insurance quotes, a 4 cylinder car might be significantly cheaper to insure.

Cheers
Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

yeahSCOTTT

thats for the help :)

Quote from: colcol on May 07, 2011, 10:03:05 AM
You could book in to the 156 workshop night at Maranello Pur Sang Motors on 27th May and ask a few questions, for bookings phone 0407 090 826 or email drtool@bigpond.com.au, Colin.

is that kind of like a meet and greet event?

Quote from: alanm on May 07, 2011, 11:19:45 AM
We have a 156 V6 Monza auto, its a great car and we have had zero problems with it.
I reckon a manual would be an excellent first car.

My only advice, get comparative insurance quotes, a 4 cylinder car might be significantly cheaper to insure.

Cheers
Alan

the 4 cyl is out of the question because after an exhaust they sound like a dry fart

wankski

ok scott - i have one and can let you know...

an early 156 manual v6 would be great and not too expensive, seen em go for below 10k

bad news, cambelt every three years to be done = ~ 1.5-2k

clutch which u will be looking at unless already done easy 2-2.5k

also u need to look at front suspension, any clunking - all needs to be replaced - may need to replace front dampners at same time - lookign at b/w $1.2-1.5k

other things like alternator going out etc can be expensive as the labour is quite involved in the v6...

but aside from that great car.... and not too expensive, just don't think a car selling for 10k will be a 10k car, u will have costs... if you know this and maintain it, i can't think of why it wont be a great first car!

best of luck on the hunt!

bix

Scott,
If the only reason to avoid the 4 cylinder is the sound after a non-standard exhaust, then perhaps it needs to be reconsidered. The oval tailpipe is one of the great design features of the model so it would anyway be a shame removing it. There would arguably be more bang for your buck installing a turbo or cams anyways.

Advantages of the 4cyl variety are:
Ease of oil filter change (unlike the 6 I believe)
Arguably better handling than the 6 due to less weight on the front
Lower fuel bills & general wear and tear on tyres, clutch etc.
More cars to choose from than the 6

The 4 still has some of gotcha's as the 6 ie. replacement of the front susp. arms post 100k, cambelt replacement every 3 years.

yeahSCOTTT

Quote from: wankski on May 07, 2011, 01:11:47 PM
ok scott - i have one and can let you know...

an early 156 manual v6 would be great and not too expensive, seen em go for below 10k
yeh ive seen a few going fairly cheap hopefully i find the perfect one!

this is pretty much inevitable yeh?

a new clutch from overseas only costs costs like $800 is alfa servicing really that pricey?

also u need to look at front suspension, any clunking - all needs to be replaced - may need to replace front dampners at same time - lookign at b/w $1.2-1.5k
ill most likely lower the car with coilovers will this stop the knocking problems?

bix

Knocking typically relates to lower and/or upper wishbones and you replace the entire wishbone which includes the bushes etc.

colcol

You replace the upper and lower control arms with new bushes and balljoints that are all ready installed in the control arms, you can replace the bushes and ball joints in the control arms, but its just not worth the stuffing around, unless you want to upgrade your suspension you can put in poly bushes, for replacement control arms, have a look on ebay, i priced some a few weeks ago and they were $430 for LH & RH upper and lower with warranty, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

Quote from: yeahSCOTTT on May 10, 2011, 08:41:14 PM
this is pretty much inevitable yeh?
yeah, u gotta pay it - no two ways about it...also with the early ones, best advised to change the water pump when u do the cambelt the first time..
a new clutch from overseas only costs costs like $800 is alfa servicing really that pricey?
why is it april 1st or summit?  ???   :P from o/s should be cheaper - it is about that for the kit locally... but that is just the part.... the labour is high as everything is difficult to get to... transverse mount v6 FWD... 'nuff said.
ill most likely lower the car with coilovers will this stop the knocking problems?
absolutely not... as explained above it is the bushings and the ball joint on the wishbones (one lower, one upper) that wear causing this movement ('play') in the parts - hence the knocking... these effectively become a replacement part as part of normal servicing... handbook says check around 100k kms, but time also plays a part in rubber parts obviously.... when it has play - time to replace.... locally u can get the lowers for around 280AUD and the uppers 115AUD. x2 (left and right) - then figure labour, maybe new dampners while u are at it... if you do fit coil overs all round (think hard about that one) then u should replace the wishbones as a matter of course...

hope that helps

bix

Just be careful with the PU Bushings. EB only sell the upper wishbone PU set as they claim PU on the lower wishbones don't work very well and they don't recommend it. Can anyone confirm?

Davidm1600

Hi guys can someone point me in the best direction re upper and lower wishbones for my JTS wagon.  For instance does anyone have 1st hand experience with the aftermarket ones listed on ebay?? or is it preferable to get the original ones, and if so best prices, who to get from (recommendations).    I know I will need to be doing these on mine. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

wankski

definately go OEM... there are mixed opinions on uppers, but the lowers contain the ball joint - so go quality.... some people buying the cheaper ones get short life from them... also unless u fit yourself its a false economy to fit cheaper units as u pay labour twice.... oem always - its not that much more....

if you want local supplier go arese spares - prices quoted above....

if you want cheaper oem, try giving ebspares.co.uk or alternative autos uk a try.... steve at alt autos... damn good bloke.

the upper can be preserved if you can be bothered swapping the bushings... the powerflex PU bushings are half the price so u can reco the uppers..... no experience w/ the lowers, but given they are more expensive and contain the ball joint, best go new oem...

wankski

Quote from: Davidm1750 on May 11, 2011, 05:27:10 PM
I know I will need to be doing these on mine. 
recommend u have a good look at the AR bar bushings (large pieces, PU good candidate here) and the droplinks.... these can go as well - inspect and replace as necessary.