164 Speedo

Started by Fettaguy, February 09, 2011, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fettaguy

Hi Guy's

The speedo on my 89' 164 is playing up (has been since I've owned it), Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, it seems to be pretty accurate and the speedometer clicks over. When it's not working, the speedo reads 0km/h and the speedometer doesn't click over. Everything else on the dash seems to work (tacho, warning lights etc)

Any suggestions on were to start looking first?

Also, anyone know where I can pick up a workshop manual (hardcopy or down loadable one)?

Thanks

Mark.

dehne

the unfortunate side to this is it will cost you big time to find the prob, my mate had the same prob with his 164, now his used to work fine then a aftermarket stereo  was put in and it never work properly again may have been(most likly) a coincidence. he spent heaps trying to get the prob fixed he put new clusters in had a speedo guy try to fix it all to no avail but he used to play with the climate control and get it to work, hope its an easy one for you
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

VeeSix

Hello Mark
The problem will probably be the speedometre sender unit or the actual speedometre
The sender unit is in a bastard of a spot at the back of the gearbox but can be replaced with some effort and anger bursts
The speedometre can be removed just by unscrewing all the dash parts till you get the entire dash cluster out
Because of the sender unit location it would probably be best to purchase a new one but if you definantly know a second hand is working go for that
You can just swap over a entire dash cluster from another 164 to test the speedometre, 164s are so cheap nowadays you will not have any problems finding a dash cluster or a entire 164 for that matter if you hunt around, some people are practically giving them away
Thankyou VeeSix  ;)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

LaStregaNera

Speedo sender for sure - had exactly the same symptoms with my car, replaced speedo sender, no problems.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Fettaguy

Thanks guys,

I'll get onto it.

Mark.

oz3litre

It is most likely the speedo itself I reckon. I have had the first one in my car die and the second hand one I got from a mate was no good either. I also had a previous car with one that read slow, (you were going faster than the speedo said you were), which is a common problem. A brand new cluster fixed the problem in our current car. Unfortunately an instrument repairer told me the things aren't fixable; but maybe someone can fix them. The problem is they are French crap. You can't blame Italians for it.
2010 159 ti TBI. Red. Wife's daily driver.
2013 Giulietta Sportiva 1.4 MA. Anthracite Metalic  My daily driver.
2009 Mito Sport 1.4 TBI. Red. Daughter's daily driver.
1999 GTV V6. Black. Son's daily driver.

colcol

Yes 1, blame the French for that horrible Jaegar instruments, i can only recall my experience with French speedos in my 33, 70 percent of the time it was the wiring connector going into the speedo, most Auto electricians hard wire these so there are no connection problems, 10 per cent of the time it is the Jaegar speedo sensor in the gearbox, when you pull it out, if its the same as a 33, then put an multimeter on the white and red wires and a good one you should get 4 ohms, no reading usually means its cactus, then 10 per cent of the time it is the speedo connector, pull this plug apart and give it a good clean, the other 10 per cent is a stuffed speedo, they do actually sometimes stop working, and the only way of fixing them is taking them to a speedo repairer, i have a spare speedo and speedo sensor that i know works, so when i have a problem i can swap bits around, and eliminate hopefully the problem, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

LaStregaNera

Quote from: oz3litre on June 19, 2011, 04:24:52 PM
It is most likely the speedo itself I reckon. I have had the first one in my car die and the second hand one I got from a mate was no good either. I also had a previous car with one that read slow, (you were going faster than the speedo said you were), which is a common problem. A brand new cluster fixed the problem in our current car. Unfortunately an instrument repairer told me the things aren't fixable; but maybe someone can fix them. The problem is they are French crap. You can't blame Italians for it.
I repaired the low reading speedometers in my car. Problem was some ham fisted Muppet had cracked the solder joints by leaning too hard on the adjustment potentiometer. Resoldered it and it responded to adjustment again.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal