Alfa 8C in Melbourne atm

Started by ANG156, February 01, 2011, 08:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hanslow

A notable Alfisti confirmed prior to Spettacolo that there were no 8c's (or any other prototype) in the country then.

However there was a strong rumor that an 8c spider was on the way but would not be here till early in the year.

Hope to see the car somewhere, at an event or display.

The main problem here is that it can not be registered for use on Australian roads, and because its new it does not fall under the club oplate scheme so ....  next time we will see it again on a truck or in a showroom.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

aggie57

That photograph was taken in the Zagame workshop in Richmond.

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

diglad

Damn, just ruined my keyboard drooling into it! Gorgeous!

Out of interest why can't it be registered in Oz?
I have seen other rare exotic LHDs including a Ferrari 458 Italia in West Perth... damn miners!

aggie57

Not sure about WA but in Victoria - no way hosay!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

Hard to find a straight answer on this.  From wikipedia:
QuoteIn Australia, registration of non-vintage (i.e., less than 30 years old) LHD vehicles is illegal. Imported LHD vehicles must be converted to RHD (costing potentially thousands of dollars), or driven with a permit that imposes severe usage restrictions. However, Western Australia and the Northern Territory (both that have at various times hosted U.S. military facilities and had vehicles imported, used and sold by U.S. service personnel) have LHD vehicles in circulation. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) previously allowed non-vintage LHD vehicles to be registered, but changed its legislation some years ago.

SA appears to allow LHD pre-1974:
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Vehicles+and+registration/Motor+vehicle+types+and+specifications/Historic+and+left-hand+drive+vehicles

WA appears to allow light vehicles over 15 years old, with restrictions around commercial use etc.:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_VS_IB_106.pdf

In Victoria, LHD vehicles over 30 years old can be registered, or you can get a club permit after the normal 25 years:
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/D89EFEAE-8A31-482B-86D2-995B0245E4B9/0/VSI18web.pdf

Looks like the Northern Territory allows personally imported cars to be registered without conversion regardless of age!
http://www.nt.gov.au/transport/mvr/vehiclestandards/infobulletins/ibv48.pdf

If you can afford to import an 8c perhaps you can afford to buy a house in the territory in order to qualify for rego?

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 03, 2011, 04:50:01 PM
If you can afford to import an 8c perhaps you can afford to buy a house in the territory in order to qualify for rego?

Or buy PI race track.

Neil

ANG156

Just pay off vicroads and it can be done. Throw them an extra thousand and you'll probably get a free trade plate. Believe me i have heard two stories about brides happening to get cars registered. At the end of the day gov workers are on shit pay so a bit under the table goes a long way. And if you're the owner of an 8C you've got the cash to throw and the connections. Whenever there is a will there is a way ;)

1750GTV

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 02, 2011, 11:06:23 PM

Quote from: 1750GTV on February 02, 2011, 10:52:51 PM
I'm still wondering which 8C Alfa it is.

You didn't follow James' link?

Yeah - sorry. Just trying to start a conversation.

I'll get back to shovelling mud.

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: ANG156 on February 03, 2011, 07:00:48 PM
Believe me i have heard two stories about brides happening to get cars registered.

People get married just to get a car registered?  :o :o ;D

Sheldon McIntosh

Neil Choi

Sheldon, I would find it very difficult to believe that anyone would marry you.  You got a 90!!!!!!

Neil Choi

Back on subject, was just wondering whether it will be seen at GP or any of the Historic Races as a display?

One lucky person whoever the person could be.  And a 599 (rumour).

Mark Fletcher

Alfa Romeo 8C Spider Spotted in Melbourne...

I did, I did... my jaw was on the ground... so beautiful and what a surprise... I was pottering along... and what do I see a vision in red... Near Elsternwick Park in Melbourne... is it here for the motor show?... It was Left hand drive... I think... I still have palpitations. 8)
Silver 2000 GTV 1973, Black Sprint QV 1986, Red Sprint QV 1985 (donor), Red 147 JTD... and maybe a Red Spyder?

Ads

It was on display behind the pits at the GP, I think on the Saturday/Sunday only...in the same area where the Porsche 908/2 and Moby Dick were, along with some other tasty items that most probably saw at Phillip Island.

AD
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)