How can ya tell if a 75 is on LSD?

Started by AlfaACT, October 29, 2010, 09:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaACT

Did all 75s come with LSD?
I am looking at an early V6 (2.5l) 75 and would like to know how to confirm that it does, or does not, have LSD.
I am hoping that there are external physical differences that might make it obvious.
Thanks,
Peter.

wankski

pretty sure it didn't... the 2.0 and 3.0 had it...

the 2.5l would have been the guts of a gtv6...IIRC

the only sure fire way is to jack the wheels and rotate one - see what happens to the other.

pep105

Hi Peter
Bottom line is the 2.5 V6 manual from late 86 to 88 was the only 75 without LSD. Externally has no body kit or rear spoiler and has unique interior with tweed (tatty) trim with GTV6 type headrests (without the mesh) and unique intruments.
It could benefit from LSD though I test drove one
a few weeks ago in the wet it was scrambling for traction.
Dirt cheap though and still fun, still kicking myself for not buying it asit sold for a paltry $1575  >:(
LSD was fitted as standard in 88 as part of an update which introduced Twinspark, 3.0 & 2.5 auto
The 2.5 manual was then dropped 
Cheers Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

AlfaACT

Thanks guys,
I was hoping that the casings might be different or that there might be markings on them to enable us to distinguish an LSD from a STD. Apparently not :-(
The car in question has had gear box work done and may have had the box swapped - so just wanted to know how to tell.
Cheers,
Peter.

pep105

Oops sorry your talking about gearbox Identifaction and there I was explaining model differences.......
A test drive should confirm it
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Anthony Miller

I think a swirly psychadelic paint job would be a give away :P But seriously, driving as Paul and pep have suggested, is probably the best way to tell model type is not a given as my 3.0l has been robbed of it's LSD as a sin of the previous owner(cheapskate barstard). The best combination would be a V6 with a twinnie transaxle, thinking of doing it to mine to realise more horsepower. Good luck Peter and welcome to the world of Box Love
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

75Guy

You can tell by raising them and turning the wheels, but as someone above said find some gravel and give it some power. Or if you are of the bogan persuasion just attempt a burnout.

My 2.5 has a LSD and short ratio gearbox so I can only assume that someone replaced it at some point. Actually, I know for a fact it was replaced I had it up on a hoist and it was kindly pointed out to me that someone hadn't done up a mounting bolt correctly (eeek). Thankfully all the others were...

AlfaACT

Hey Guys,

"... if you are of the bogan persuasion ... " nah! Sorry.
I'm goin' with the psychadelic paint job but only if its got the matching paisley interior ;-)

Again, thanks for all the advice.
Today I spoke to the service agent who did the gearbox work - verdict is definitely NOT LSD :-(

Cheers,
Peter.

dehne

my guess is ur talking about the one on ebay, i spoke with the guy and the gearbox had been replace with lsd but did not ask where it came from, would be a good cheap buy that one
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

vin sharp

Quote from: 75Guy on October 29, 2010, 03:05:11 PM
You can tell by raising them and turning the wheels, but as someone above said find some gravel and give it some power. Or if you are of the bogan persuasion just attempt a burnout.

My 2.5 has a LSD and short ratio gearbox so I can only assume that someone replaced it at some point. Actually, I know for a fact it was replaced I had it up on a hoist and it was kindly pointed out to me that someone hadn't done up a mounting bolt correctly (eeek). Thankfully all the others were...

You cannot tell a stock LSD or not by raising and turning the wheels; the LSD clutches are engaged by torque input from the pinion opposing the resistance load from the wheels.........ie, there is nothing to 'engage' the wheels together if they are off the ground.

ARQ164 Shane

g;day all,
So I have an 2.5 QV 1987 not sure if it's got an LSD but I have never spun one wheel it's always two.
And it catchs me unaware at the lights if i take of to quick. I look like a tool as i am not trying to do it deliberatly.

All the best Shane. 
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Storm_X

If you dump your clutch at high revs at both wheels spin and the car kicks out a little, i would guess it has an LSD.

Or if you have a area to test on eg a track you turn the wheel full lock and dump the clutch again at highish revs and is the car spins tightly allmost on the spot it has lsd,but if it does really wide rings and doesnt seem to spin the ass end out its an open wheel diff plus you would see a huge singe line going it circles.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

ARQ164 Shane

hey storm,
All my cars up to this one were open centers , But this little puppy not friendly at high rev's
unless you are on the highway. It loves to rev like a motor bike in 5th gear??? that why i have a shift light on my tacho
keeps trying to push me through the corner in a straight line?? it has heaps of grip and then it lets go and its like driving on black ice.
but that might be the cheap Sims tyres.

what do you think??

Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Storm_X

i would have to see your car if you bring it down to tell
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

aggie57

Just put one wheel on some gravel and the other on tarmac, then accelerate briskly.  If you have an LSD the wheel on gravel will not spin.  If it does you either have an open diff or some very worn clutch plates.  The latter is pretty common.

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list