How can ya tell if a 75 is on LSD?

Started by AlfaACT, October 29, 2010, 09:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm_X

Quote from: aggie57 on January 06, 2011, 07:27:21 AM
Just put one wheel on some gravel and the other on tarmac, then accelerate briskly.  If you have an LSD the wheel on gravel will not spin.  If it does you either have an open diff or some very worn clutch plates.  The latter is pretty common.

Alister

Not a good idea for me. i did it once on my LSD and blew my spider gears
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Sheldon McIntosh

So just to confirm here.  To check if it's got an LSD you shouldn't take the mechanically sympathetic advice of someone who has been racing and working on Alfas for over 30 years.  And instead you should.....

Quote from: Storm_X on January 05, 2011, 05:30:25 PM
dump your clutch at high revs .....turn the wheel full lock and dump the clutch again at highish revs and is the car spins tightly allmost on the spot it has lsd,but if it does really wide rings and doesnt seem to spin the ass end out its an open wheel diff plus you would see a huge singe line going it circles.

Yep, that sounds far more likely to not damage anything.

Storm_X

the diff will blow easier from half on tarmac and half on dirt then then doing a circle in some cases, witch is what i have lernt from experience more then once, plus i know a thew people and have heard stories about wrecking diffs half on tarmac and dirt.(also dumping clutches and circle work)

Either way thrashing the Alfa diff it will blow the spider gears, there weak.

Sheldon McIntosh

Fair enough, I'll defer to you on the topic of destroying diffs, you seem to know what you're talking about.

aggie57

Quote from: Storm_X on January 06, 2011, 08:02:25 PM
the diff will blow easier from half on tarmac and half on dirt then then doing a circle in some cases, witch is what i have lernt from experience more then once, plus i know a thew people and have heard stories about wrecking diffs half on tarmac and dirt.(also dumping clutches and circle work)

Either way thrashing the Alfa diff it will blow the spider gears, there weak.

"briskly" Storm, "Briskly".   I didn't mean dump the clutch or circle work.  That's "thrashing".

Alister
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

ARQ164 Shane

So all this take about dumping the clutch ( no way ) I think I will ask Lioyd at s.t.a.r.t he rebuild them.
thanks for the input .

all the best
Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Storm_X

Ive destroyed to many diffs in my time for my liking (3), but i am no expert.

Ive seen how people push there Alfa's at the tracks, and they don't drive them like there a brand new grange statesman. Buts there is a difference between track and daily Alfa's.

Any way shane when you jack you car and start it up do both wheels spin? and is it easy to stop the wheel with your foot while spinning in 1st gear? Thants one way i check to get a close guess.

ARQ164 Shane

If it in the air two spin yes,But isn't it activated by centrifugal forces ?? (thought ) my speedo is crap maybe the tranny.
been swaped out. My car was from QLD ,vic and now S.A . ???

Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Storm_X

take it on the grass and just give it a little and if it slides around like its on ice then its a LSD