33 Boxer King Hit

Started by philpot, October 27, 2010, 10:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philpot

This is what happens when a Holden twin-cab ute doesn't look and goes through a give way sign....

270 degree anti-clockwise spin and stuffed 'set' of rims/axle/ 1/4 panel later......Bugger!

With Shannons, claim all in. Driver of ute admitted not looking, not seeing me....Derr....

After all the time, money, blood, sweat and (near!) tears....spent on this car in the past six months. Now this.

Joy.
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

DAMO1A

Condolences.  Hope that you are ok and that the car is repaired quickly and better than new.
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4

philpot

Thanks for that Damo, Yes, really upsetting. Looks like they want to write if off now. Even though have agreed policy with Shannons will still be out of pocket due to all $ spent since got it.....Appears my agreed value is less than cost of repairs...

Dont know if will buy back 'wreck' or not, and/or get another 16v with payout. Or just stick with my '86 33ti as the everday drive.

Oh, tray truck to take all of 200m to local yard, and storage, cost "$700-800" !!!   If I'd known that would've left it there and come back with a mate and his car trailer! That money comes out of the 'allowance' margin of potential repairs.

What a learning curve.

1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Anthony Miller

Doesn't the fuggan holden have insurance and wouldn't his policy be the one getting hammered especially as he has admitted fault ???
You know Phil, you will most likely buy the wreck and another 16v  ;D
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Joe Garra

I did the same last year with my 164Q, bought the "wreck" for $500 and had it fixed. As the write off was economic and not structural, I didn't need an engineer report after the repair. I've since increased the insurance to 10,000. It all depends how much you love your car, and how much your partner/wife loves you, to allow you to spend the extra  :)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

philpot

Thanks Anthony and Joe. Waiting on insurance company now. Yard where car is wants to write it off. Waiting for assessor he called (?), but Shannons said they have their own assessors, so he needed to ring them....and use their assessor. Their nearest recommended repairer wasn't within a couple of hundred k's. They dont quite realise and I have to keep reminding them, this aint metro melb.....

I seem to be doing all the work so far....

Only place been recommended is 50k away, so wanted to take to them, but, yard wont release till they're paid....

Other party has retracted admission of fault apparently now....Local Police were notified but didn't attend (it is the country....)

Core question is is my car able to repaired if I buy it back as a 'wreck'? Had a big wack in rear side, the other drive didn't even slow, or brake, for the give way sign.

Gut instinct, if it can be repaired, I will. Just deal with it and get it done...

Touch wood. Fingers Crossed...

PS: Dont even know if rear rim is stuffed yet. Bought them new in '94 for my sud. TSW 6x14" 8 Spoke 'Probe' by memory sold by Bob Jane Under the Auscar Label. Has copped full brunt of impact, really upset if set of four is now broken up...

philpot

OK. Cars just been assessesed. Write off. Want to know how much to buy 'Wreck' back?

$2500 !

Was expecting more like $500...

Think someone, somewhere reckons it's worth more (to them) as parts than a car to repair...$$$

philpot

OK, just an update in the ongoing real life drama that occurs when....the other driver...hits your car.

Am getting car repaired now. Was going to buy back 'wreck' at absurd price and repair anyway (yes, must be nuts as family/friends kept on saying). But a week ago after ok with Shannons assessor to go and pick up car, tow/storage yard refused to hand over keys "until I get paid for the tow and storage"  This despite the fact he had Shannons Claim number given to him when he PICKED UP the car!

Tow Driver said some unchoice things about assessors and insurance companies and refused to speak to shannons assessor on my phone....He even rang the repairer who's willing to fix the thing, who had to travel 50k's to look at it 'cos the yard wouldn't release it, to ask HIM for the money!

Shannons and assessor seriously not impressed! (nor with his florid description of their reproducing worth and female genitalia....) Meanwhile, on the nature strip out front...After 'bout hour of waiting, get call from Assessor to go and get car. Oh, the fact that he had an Insurance Company Claim Number already meant the holding of keys was legally 'theft' and the ultimate intructions from Shannons were to call the Police if he refused to release 'my' car... may've had something to do with it ...

So, the 16V is now waiting on a mates car trailer to go into a repairer on Thursday (this time not as a write off) who's been recommended by a quite a few local car people. He's actually a 'Panel Beater'  who is quite prepared to beat out the panel and pull the rear section true again. Damage is panel not structural.

Oh, rim runs true, so still have my 16 year old set of TSW rims intact!

One piece of advice after all this?  

Be careful out there ... ( and maybe have an audio recording device activated in your pocket if ever someone hits your car!)

wankski

I wouldn't go recording conversations myself, but its always an idea to photo the scene and damage capturing the wider area... most ppl have a camera phone at hand....

in cases where there is a give way sign and they've gomne thru it + the damage to your car on its relative dir of travel...

case over.

Hot tip: those that admit at scene often recant. even if they seem co-operative, take evidence at scene.