My new baby

Started by lfetta, October 17, 2010, 10:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfetta

Just picked up this 83' Alfetta Sprotiva 2 yesterday. 1 owner and is in pretty good condition. Just going over and cleaning a few things up.

Just a quick question also, it seems to be running quite rough on idle and when driving it at low speeds. But when it revs out past 3,000rpm it smooths as? Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks Nick
1978 Alfetta Sedan Sportiva I
1983 Alfetta Sedan Sportiva II
1979 Fiat 132
1989 75 3L

lfetta

Thanks paul ill get on it this week.

Thanks again
Nick
1979 Fiat 132
1989 75 3L

bt46

Couple of other things to add to the list
Replace points
set timming
Clean idle and pump jets
Remove progression port plugs and visually inspect throttle balance between carburettors
Adjust mixture screws
Inspect engine mounts
Drive and enjoy
Im sure there are more

MD

Ifetta

All good stuff from the guys to help you out.

I will just ad one.

The carburettors are mounted on rubber mounts. They age and leak air affecting your mixtures. If they are not all leaking only one or two, the carbies will run out of air balance and cause rough idling. If one is cracked, replace them all.You may need a torch and a mirror to look at these suckers underneath as well.

As an aside, what helps to deteriorate these rubber mounts is a perished rubber bush at the base of the single upright support for the carburettors fixed just infront of the starter motor and inside the rhs engine mount. Replace this at the same time

Welcome to the Forum.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

lfetta

Thanks for all the help guys. Found the problem to be the accelerator jets. They were blocked, so i cleaned them out. After that and a nice service she runs like a dream. Hope to see you guys at the Spettacolo.

Thanks Nick
1979 Fiat 132
1989 75 3L

bt46

Good work Nick.
The hole in the pumpjets are so small they are always blocking up. Make sure you run an extra fuel filter in the system.
It would also be worth while dropping the fuel tank out at some stage and cleaning it. I bet if that has never been done it will have all manner of crap/rust floating around the bottom of the tank.