147 GTA Braided Brake Lines

Started by joeciardi, July 26, 2010, 09:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeciardi

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums here and also new to my 147 GTA. Appreciate any help or advice you can give.

I'm wondering if anybody has had experience replacing the standard lines in the GTA with braided ones and whether or not they make a big difference?

I've driven a few cars in my time and find the GTA's brakes quite spongey so in theory the braided lines will fix that... just hoping for anything from somebody with first hand experience.

Thanks guys.
Current: 2006 147 GTA

joeciardi

Further to this, I'm looking at the Goodridge stainless steel brake lines. Any experience with them as well?

david sammartino

Have you tried bleeding the brakes first, or do you know when it was done last?

Be careful that the lines you are buying are approved for use, check with the authorities in S.A , as i wouldn't know being from Vic. I don't really see the need for braided hoses on a stock car, id try a decent flush first, than go from there if your still not happy.

joeciardi

thanks for the reply david

it had it's major service nearly two months ago, i assume it would have been done when they replaced the pads...

i'm from NSW, what authorities do you refer to? are there laws pertaining to the kind of lines you're allowed to use?

ozchips

from previous experience i would say you would get no noticable imporvement
they are really designed for high power, hard braking situations or very large vehicals .
They actually did not make a huge difference in the stopping power of my mates quarter mile car which has something like 540bhp
i would take the above advice and bleed them first and see if there isany improvement

John Hanslow

Was there a brake upgrade somewhere along the lines with the GTA's or was that only with the 156 ?

If you have a manual a Q2 diff would be a good upgrade if it has not already been done.

CHeers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: joeciardi on July 27, 2010, 08:06:02 AM
it had it's major service nearly two months ago, i assume it would have been done when they replaced the pads...

I wouldn't assume that, in fact I'd be surprised if they did bleed them.

Quote from: joeciardi on July 27, 2010, 08:06:02 AM
i'm from NSW, what authorities do you refer to? are there laws pertaining to the kind of lines you're allowed to use?

Yes there are; some braided lines are ADR compliant, some aren't.

I'd be very surprised if standard (and well-maintained) GTA brakes aren't good enough for the road, they're fooken huuuuge those things.  Eliminate the easy stuff first, as David says.

shiny_car

Whilst Goodridge is a very reputable brand out of the UK, and comply with the highest of international standards, the brake lines themselves do not have ADR markings. As such, my normal Alfa dealer would not fit them onto my GT, after consulting with their regular roadworthy inspector.

Having said this, this same dealer fitted Goodridge lines on the rear of another Alfa of mine. Go figure.

I've had another encounter with this roadworthy inspector, and IMO, they have NO clues regarding aftermarket components. He may be fine with bog standard factory cars, but totally no idea about the details of what complies with any aftermarket stuff.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Goodridge comply with the equivalent international standards as ADR. Just that a pedantic mechanic may not fit them. And, they may not pass a roadworthy inspection. Even though they are perfectly safe.

Regarding brake pedal feel, as suggested, fresh brake fluid is very important. I suggest having the fluid flushed and replaced at least every 2 years if you're an enthusiast. A good quality Dot4 fluid should easily suffice on a street car for this period.

Though I have read the braided lines makes a difference too. But I cannot speak from experience; my Goodridge lines are still in their box in the garage!

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

pasey25

Quote from: John Hanslow on July 27, 2010, 12:33:16 PM
Was there a brake upgrade somewhere along the lines with the GTA's or was that only with the 156 ?

If you have a manual a Q2 diff would be a good upgrade if it has not already been done.

CHeers.

later GTAs had 330mm brakes instead of the 305mm brakes fitted to earlier cars

these can be retrofitted

the Q2 diff can be fitted to a selespeed or a manual (it is the same gearbox)
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

L4OMEO

I've fitted Goodridge braided lines to two of my 156s, and while I'd like to say I noticed a difference that's not really the case. As per everyone else's advice, get the basics right first and if you're still not happy then explore other avenues.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

joeciardi

Quote from: pasey25 on July 28, 2010, 12:56:00 AM

CHeers.

these can be retrofitted

Yes it's a manual gearbox and I've just last week fitted the Q2 LSD.

John do you mind if I ask what are your reasons for suggesting it as a good upgrade?

And cheers to everybody for all the advice - much appreciated

joeciardi

Quote from: joeciardi on July 28, 2010, 06:42:58 PM
Quote from: pasey25 on July 28, 2010, 12:56:00 AM

CHeers.

these can be retrofitted

Yes it's a manual gearbox and I've just last week fitted the Q2 LSD.

John do you mind if I ask what are your reasons for suggesting it as a good upgrade?

And cheers to everybody for all the advice - much appreciated

Sorry John I've re-read your post and now understand you are suggesting the Q2 as a good upgrade, not the braided lines as a good upgrade.

Sorry about that, ignore my earlier post.