Weekend drives

Started by Anth73, April 09, 2007, 05:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anth73

Hi all,

I thought a topic to discuss nice wekend drives you've experienced and would like to share with other forum members would be interesting. Not sure how someone can make this a "sticky" if need be. So..here goes the inagrual post about my weekend drive with the family.

Given the beautiful Autumn day today we decided to head from our home in Heidelberg up to the Yarra Valley Dairy in for some cheese and wine tasting. Yarra Valley Diary is just off the Melba Hwy outside of Yarra Glen, down from Yerrin Station Winery.

We took Lower Plenty Road / Main Road up through Eltham and turned right onto the Eltham-Yarra Glen Road. This took us along rises and falls through Kangaroo Ground and Christmas Hills. The scenery becomes quite lush and forestry, and is especially nice with the sun lower in the sky now throwing shadows along the road from the tall trees. The road is generally OK with flowing curves and some tighter 20kmh hairpins. I found the 156 handled well but was upset by bumps through corners, requiring steering correction to keep the intended line.

As you start to descend the views to the Yarra Valley are superb. There's a few downhill slower corners to test your skill on but do this with care as Police watch this road carefully due to the number of motorcycles which like to take on the road. More than once I had a motorcycle on the wrong side of double white lines overtaking me! Generallythe speed limit is an adequate 80kmh.

At the T-intersection with the Melba Highway turn right, drive through Yarra Glen, follow the highway left and then straight for a kilometre or so. Watch for the Yarra Valley Dairy sign and slip lane before the highway swings to the right. There's about 800m of heavily corrugated unsealed road to traverse to get to the Dairy and the 156 was down to 10kmh getting through it with uch crashing and thumping from the suspension. Whilst the kids loved it and the fact that their voices jumped with each bunnyhop the car made, I made a mental note to start researching better shock absorbers. This 156 weak point was certainly evident as it felt like the wheels were just bouncing from one corrugation to the next uncontrollably. I'd hate to image what it would feel like with the optional 17" wheels and lowered Alfa factory coils!

On the way home we took the same route but stopped for a toilet break at the Eltham War Memorial lookout tower. The entrance is by a tricky curving and ascending driveway off the Eltham-Yarra Glen Road in Kangaroo Point. It's well signposted and offers 360 degree views from the top of the tower. If you're scared of heights you won't brave the steep walk up the ladder-like stairs.
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

Anth73

Just back from a week down at Wye River, which is located on the Great Ocean Road 15km past Lorne. It really is one of truly great driving roads and the stretch from Lorne to Apollo Bay is probably the best.

I'm glad to say that my drive was my V6 156  ;D Needless to say the tacho spent a lot of time north of the equator

I'm still smiling thinking about how well she performed with the Koni Yellow's on the front. I always though the 156 would be a great tourer with a half decent front suspension and this trip showed exactly how good it can be.

I've taken a few photos and may pen an article for a future Cross & Serpent about my trip.
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual

John Hanslow

Great to hear of your travelling experiences.  I will take note and follow your lead on the Yarra Valley dairy experience.

My favourite quick trip is from Eltham, thru Yarra Glenn, Healesville and then Black Spur up to Marysville.  So this covers the start of your tour and your route is much better than the views of Whitehouse Road all the way to Lilydale.

A year ago to the day, I drove from the start of the Great Ocean Road all the way to Warrnambool. Then inland via Mount Gambier, back along the coast again and around to Victor Harbour.  That took about a 4 days.

The 164 was not stressed at all along the Great Ocean Road due to traffic and was not pushed to its limits.  Plenty of time to take in the views.  Dammed tourists and their cameras - can't they pull over out of the way.

However the long straight road thru the Coorong was superb if you don't mind the heat and views of tidal salt flats.  The 164 aircon was most satisfactory considering how hot it was, no trees nor shade and at the highway speed travelled.

During Easter, I have commitments in Omeo so that will give me time to sample alpine travel.  I will be interested to learn more about the handling of the front wheel drive v6 as I assumed a 156 twin spark would be more suitable.

I look forward to gaining further insight into practical day trips around Melbourne and possible submission to the committee as I am keen to get involved in that side of things.

A great day out is  good drive and a good meal  - sounds ok to me.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

AGM155

I went on a drive to Lorne a couple of weeks ago with some guys from the ausalfa.com forum.

Was great fun, my 166, a GT, GTV and a Boxter.

We're going on another later this month.

shane wescott

Great Topic!!

I took my two favorite Ladies (the GTV6 and the Wife) up to Eildon for a couple of days camping. On the way up it was boring highway until Tallarook turnoff then via Yea and Alexandra to Eildon. On the way back it was via the Yea/Flowerdale track down to Whittlesea.

Plenty of lovely scenery, great country pubs, and great Alfa roads. Plenty of opportunities to clean out the city cobwebs from the V6.

Also some great roads around Eildon, just make sure you don't have a passenger prone to car sickness, takes all the fun out of the curves :-)

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Anth73

Quote from: John Hanslow on January 08, 2008, 01:50:16 PM
My favourite quick trip is from Eltham, thru Yarra Glenn, Healesville and then Black Spur up to Marysville.  So this covers the start of your tour and your route is much better than the views of Whitehouse Road all the way to Lilydale.

Could this be packaged into an Early Morning Run, starting at Eltham with brunch at Marysville? Anyone interested?
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual

Gary Pearce

Hi Guys,
I hope you all can make it to our Club EMR coming up on Sunday 27th leaving from Tooradin shops at 9.00am.
The run takes us through some very picturesque countryside and hilly windy roads up through Bayles, Longwarry, Ripplebrook, Poowong ((fantastic driving road) and Leongatha. Then back into the hills again along a tourist road called Grand Ridge Rd finishing in Mirboo North. I think you will find the scenery challenges the Great Ocean Road.
Mirboo North are holding an Italian style 'St Paul's Festa' and have invited us to display our cars and partake in their food and wine festival lunch.
If you are interested in attending I need an idea of numbers ASAP (and your model of Alfa) so the organisers can arrange our display. The more the merrier. Call me on 0417-365929 or indicate your intentions on this forum. G.P.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

John Hanslow

Hey, looks like I have inadvertantly put forward a good suggestion a road trip.   I will definitly put this one forward to the social committee (or EMR sub comittee).

One thing though, I recall about 4 months ago, the drive thru the Dandenongs finished at a picturesque guest house and the participants who chose to say for a meal, had a lovely sunday roast. 

I know it's summer and sometimes we have to  keep things simple, but how about when we finish a run we have a meal together and develope the alfa social network.  It's a great way for new members to get to know those in the club and just good relaxing fun.  It adds value and strength to the club.

As for the January run on the 27th, probably plenty of tasty food available at the festa or alternatively you have a byo picnic. 

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a brewery near there .... mmmmmmmm...

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Brad M

mmmm beer   ;D   can't wait for a drive to that brewery.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Fast Eddie

No drink-driving in my sprint ya dont!
Jealous :'(
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Brad M

Problem is there are no cup holders and I have a desire to keep my license ...  ;D
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Gary Pearce

For those interested in coming along to our EMR this Sunday, starting 8.30 am at Tooradin shops, I would like to inform that Club Permit vehicles (red plates) are permitted.
Also non-club members are welcome and as a special offer if you join AROCA on the day you will receive a $35.00 discount on the normal joining cost $75.00 single or $90.00 family membership.
Participation on the EMR and at the St Paul's Festa at Mirboo North is at no cost to all.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

shane wescott

Looking forward to it Gary. It will be my first EMR with the club.

Not sure whether it will be my car's first EMR. She may have been on one when she was living with a previous partner :-)

Hopefully it wont be wet as I tend to get in trouble when I drive through puddles ;-)

Catch ya
Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Jekyll and Hyde

Unfortunately the starting point is quite some distance for me (min. 1 hour, probably more like 1.5), and the (in)significant other is working that day, so this ones a miss for me.

However, if one is organised later on in the year from Eltham out as mentioned near the start of this thread, I'll try very hard to make that one - quite familar with a few of the roads behind Eltham, very Alfa oriented!

John Hanslow

Well, hopefully later this year we can organise a EMR from Eltham to Marysville via Black Spur. 

A bit of interest in this trip as per emails earlier on in this thread.

This Sundays trip should be great fun as well.

All good news.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata