Sports Mode? Too-low a gear maybe?

Started by lmcpaulm, June 05, 2010, 11:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmcpaulm

Ok Ok... I've posted 2 other threads about other issues but might as well ask something that I have thought about since getting my Alfa.

I got my Alfa 1 1/2 years ago - 156 2005 - V6 2.5L 24V (4 Gears)

Does everyone else find their sport modes act fine?

I have had 2 other cars in recent years (both 4 cylinders and 2004 models) a VW and BMW, and both had a sports mode which essentially was an 'overdrive'. When you press sports they would change down *a* gear to give you those mid-range revs and power.

When I press the sports mode on my Alfa, doesn't matter if its 60km, 80km or 100km, I almost go through the windscreen. It's as if it is changing down *2* gears (which I think it is), and the engine-brakes severely. I used to use sports mode in the other cars for when I'm on the highway and need to slot in to the passing lane, or (since my suburb is hilly) to get up hills when ppl are doing 40km/h.

Is this normal? It always sounds when its in sports mode that it really needs changing up one gear.

But, I find city mode can be a bit sluggish, if you don't press enough it doesn't change down, if you press too much it screams its head off.

Maybe I'm just not accustomed to the Alfa way....