GTV6 speedo doesn't work & needs a new battery

Started by Bufa, May 11, 2010, 10:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bufa

Hi all again.  Does anyone know of any old posts that covers:
1) specific causes of speedo failures (doesn't move at all) and fixes; and
2) whether there are any great specific batteries for an '85 GTV6's (or should just an RACV standard battery do the trick?)

Thanks, Bufa

Anthony Miller

RACV battery will be fine, more than capable. They have compatabilty tables and will select the correct battery for the job. Now the speedo, check the connector that clips onto the instrument cluster to make sure that the plastic printed circuit board that forms the connection plate is intact. Sometimes the plastic deteriorates and can break off leaving no circuit, had this happen in two of my joolies.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Al Campbell

Bufa,

Speedo – Couldn’t find any specific posts but there are probably plenty on the ALFABB & the transaxle site:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/

http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/

The plastic needle melts in the heat and can eventually touch the fascia – but you should be able to see if that’s the case (affects the tacho too). Gentle heat & pressure to straighten them – or make up a new one. Posts on this are around.

The sensor is on the gearbox/transaxle and has a connector hanging out in the open able to get covered in oil, water, mud, dirt & get knocked. There are 2 sensors down there. It’s the one closer to the front of the car, the one at the back is the reversing light switch. Check the wires look ok and the connectors are clean. If you are going to crawl under there, get a can of electrical contact cleaner - the type that has moisture proof, non conductive lubricant. There are so many connectors and earths on these cars that you can use that stuff on. Maybe hit it with some degreaser first if it’s covered in goop.

The sensors themselves can pack it in too. Pretty fiddly to open and fix I believe.

It gets power from fuse 7, but if it’s the fuse then your tacho and other stuff won’t go either.

The speedo meter itself is less likely to be a problem. Held in place by four screws on the front. It has a connector on the back, that you can clean by pulling the connector on & off a few times. There are also three little wires with small eye terminals held down by little screws, check them for corrosion.

I don’t know if any of the later GTV6s got the type of speedo sensor as used on the 75 that had three wires & fed through an amplifier mounted under one of the seats.

Battery? Anything will do. If you are having starting problems – a bigger one will get you more attempts. Here you go – more electrical cleaning. If you’re replacing the battery, the earth cable goes to the side of the battery box and is attached with a bolt going into a welded on nut. The hole goes right through to the outside of the car, so it is exposed to water spray under the car and corrodes real well. My car was loosing about 2 volts across that joint. Unbolt the cable, clean both parts  with sandpaper and/or wet & dry. Get a tube of dielectric grease and smear it all over before re-assembling. You can use that dielectric grease on connectors instead of spray and also on earth connections in the engine bay. Apologies if I’m teaching your granny to suck eggs :P.

Whoops - so slow typing that Anthony beat me to it.

Bufa

Thanks Al and Anthony.  Will give it a go this weekend.

Cheers

Bufa

dehne

with the battery i would get a good quality holden battery as these have the terminals on  the correct sides and are a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones they will tell you to get for the alfa they are about $100 cheaper
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Bufa

Thanks Dehne.  I presume I ask just for a battery for a Holden Commodore?  Or are they all the same for all holdens?  Any other specific specs I will need to ask for? (new at all this car stuff)