GTV6 Running hot

Started by shane wescott, May 03, 2010, 09:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

after some feeback from GTV6 daily drivers.

Now i know GTV6's are hot, even when they are just standing still, but I'm after some info about them running hot.

Mine is fine if I am on the highway, or on the move, but if I am in traffic within a few minutes it has built up to where it cycles the fans on and off every minute or so.

So my question is - do you think there is an issue with my cooling system or is this just the way it is.

This is not really causing me any issues, I am just curious as to what is the general concensus with this.

And contrary to popular belief, the GTV6 hasn't been neglected since the Ducati arrived - it's like having two kids, you always try and divide your time but one of them will always scream louder for attention :-)

Recently fixed the clutch pedal and the hatch shocky on the GTV6, the Ducati is pretty much ready for a roadworthy :-)

Back to my original question, is mine running hot do I need to run a flush or cleaner, do i need to remove/check/replace the thermostat??

Thanks in advance.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Anthony Miller

Hi Shane, had a simmilar issue with my 3.0l, in traffic allways hot, got Bruno to test the radiator and wouldn't you know, it was leaking internally. Radiator now replaced and no more cooling probs, maybe a pressure test is in order for you, good luck.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

MD

Shane,

To do the job right, you should have the temperature of the engine measured by a master guage in a reputable garage so that you know exactly what temperature the engine is operating in. This should be around 86-90*C. The thermosensor should kick-in with the fans above this temp or close to it.

Things that cause overheating:-

Partially blocked radiator from mineral deposition internally in the radiator and engine galleries.
Poor fitting cap causing a leak or wrong pressure rating.
Wrong ignition timing.
Lean mixtures.
Sliping pump belt
Water pump impeller corroded away
Thermostat not opening enough
Radiator fins blocked by oil mist binding up dust.
No ethylglycol in the water.

What to do?
Get a tune up first followed by a strip down of the radiator and a clean out of the tubes internally . When refitting the radiator, be sure to use distilled water and ethyglycol concentrate to make  your own coolant mix. Don't use the premixed rubbish off the shelf. That should get you in the ball park.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Al Campbell

Shane,

My '83 GTV6 runs ok. The temperature gauge sits on about 80 C in summer – or whatever the temperature is with the needle vertical. The (single) fan only comes on when I sit stopped at traffic lights and will turn off if it's a long red light. As the second fan is missing I've been paying attention to the temperature in summer.

bonkfrog

My 2c worth. If the radiator simply needs cleaning & coolant replacing, it will need flushing so as to remove old & contaminated coolant. I use baking soda & water, run for a few days, flush with tap water, then fill with demineralised water & Castrol inhibitor. However, my guess would be something more fundamental - leakage?

Good luck
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

alanm

Hi Shane,

I don't think you necessarily have a problem.

My experience is the same as al_cam, in hot weather my GTV6 gets to its operating temperature, about 85-90 degrees, after about 11-15 minutes driving.
In stop start traffic the fans kick in at at around 90 degrees, the fans seem to efficiently cool the temperature to about 85 degrees after a couple of minutes.
I believe my car has a properly functioning cooling system – new head gaskets, flushed system, new coolant, new expansion tank, new factory tank cap, new hose kit.
The only weakness in the system is the NOS expansion tank (going to replace that with aluminium tank when I can).

What sound better, the GTV6 or the Duke?

Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

shane wescott

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Based on the feedback from al cam and alanm maybe i am just worrying because everything is running well.

The GTV6 has been like a different car since the run to Phillip Island for Alfesta, the run home through Yarra Valley and two runs to Echuca and back over Easter - it's just roaring :-)

I will get the radiator pulled at some stage and tested as it did spend a few weeks sitting around when i did the water pump and cam belts some time ago.

@Alanm Because the Ducati is only a 500, the GTV6 sounds better although I havent had a chance yet to open up the Duke in a tunnel and see if angels start licking my soul (thanks to Jeremy Clarkson for that one)

Is it a 1982 500SL Pantah Choderboy, essentially the first of the rubber belt driven Dukes that was basically the same engine design they use today.

I like to call the GTV6 the Ducati of motor cars ;-) I suppose that would make the Ducati the Alfa of Motor Cycles :-)

You can check out pickies and the project progress at  http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=111287 

Should go for a roadworhty and rego in a few eeeks and if the tax office ever send me a refund I will get some nice bike gear so i can ride it :-(\

Catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Al Campbell

I suppose a summary of the performance of the radiator fan is that even on the real stinking hot days over 40c, the fan is still effective enough to cycle on & off.

Repco Lad

Hi Shane

Jump onto Redline Oil's website and have a look at a product called 'water wetter'. Was reading about it in a trade mag the other day and thought it might be worth a look, pending some investigation, as my GTV6 hates standing still, particularly in traffic.

Regards

RL

MD

Repco Lad, is this stuff friendly to Italian alloys?

bonkfrog, Castrol inhibitor does not raise the boiling point. It's only a corrosion inhibitor.

Cars with borderline cooling systems benefit from increased cap pressure and 50% ethy glycol additive coolant mix. This should be done in conjunction with all the standard checks first. If cap pressures are increased, be sure that the hoses will take it, including the heater hoses.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Repco Lad

G'day MD

Have asked them the question and am waiting for a response- will post when at hand. To their credit they are pretty specific about its application on their site.

If you have cooling issues you would want to follow the steps outlined in previous posts before relying on an additive, but it may have some merit as a cooling product in it's own right.

Assuming it is suitable to Alfa engines, I plan to give it a try before the 2.5 comes out- (just bought that 75 3lt long motor that was on e-bay)

Regards

RL