looking to buy manual gearbox for 164 alfa

Started by ausx19V6, April 29, 2010, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ausx19V6

Hi guys, I am new to the forum.
I am buliding a tarmac rally car (fiat x19) and I am in the process of fitting a 3ltr V6 engine from a 164. The donor car is an 1989 model and of course it is an automatic. I am desperately seeking a manual gearbox...either 5spd or 6spd, and flywheel/clutch. So if anyone knows of one that is available pls let me know.
By the way..I will only be removing the engine and computer from the donor car, so I will be selling the rest of the car. Its Red, and in pretty good condition for its age. It has never had any accident damage and I have driven it and the gearbox is great. The interior has had some sun fading to the seat facings, but everything works. It would be gerat for someone looking for a parts car, or maybe to upgrade to a 24v engine. with little work it could be registered again.
I would be interested in swapping with someone that has a gearbox as outlined above.
Pics on request.
If I sold it I would be looking for $600 which is good value considering the wealth of good parts on the car.
cheers,
Chris Mcintosh

John Hanslow

Try the Alfa wreakers yards or part suppliers in your state or in other states for that matter.

In Vic I can recommend The Italian Job and Monza Motors.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

ausx19V6

hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried both places you suggested and no luck at the moment.
Cheers.

LaStregaNera

Good luck finding a box in Aus - 164QVs (Quadrifoglio Verde, as opposed to 164Qv) are a rare beast, and the only 164 manual we got.
Any of the v6 manuals will fit, but you'll need the flywheel and clutch too. For a tarmac rally car, probably the best box would be a GTV6 or 156 V6 box - nice short dif ratio compared to the 164QV box.
Importing a box from the UK would be the best bet... and stick a Q2 diff in it straight up.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

ausx19V6

yeah I am kind leaning in that direction. I have looked on Uk ebay and found a few there.
thanks for the advice.

Sheldon McIntosh

Have you looked for any in NZ? They got manual 164s over there, as well as 155s.  Try www.trademe.co.nz, or get in contact with the club over there for recommendations for wreckers.