Just Bought a 1968 Giulia Sprint GT and need a local mechanic !

Started by boomerang147, March 20, 2010, 05:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomerang147

Hi Guys,

Today I picked up my 1968 Giulia Sprint GT after many many years of wanting one. It needs some rust repairs in the lower door skins, LH rear quarter above wheelarch and some other spots, but I have enough experience to do the sheetmetal myself.
The motor is running rough at idle, so I will be needing a mechanic to have a look at it. A few months ago there was a mechanic in Werribee Melbourne advertising his availability to do mechanical repairs, but I cant find the thread. Does anyone know how I can contact him or if there are any other recommended Alfa mechanics around Hoppers Crossing / Werribee?
Also the cheapest supplier of spares ie: rh side indicator lens, door rubber, rear view mirror etc?

I will try and post some photos soon.

Nick

boomerang147

Photo's

GTV-074

Nick,

Congrats on the purchase! ....Used to have a GTV like that in white years ago. They look fantastic with some nice wheels and lowered a little.

Is this the car that was for sale in Surrey Hills in the last week or so?

As far as parts, check the sponsor link on the main site - plenty to choose from.

Sorry can't help with a mechanic over in your neck of the woods.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

UNICO

I was going to call the owner today so I can go down and have a look, but didn't see it advertised anymore. Congrats. Is it the original colour?

Ed

boomerang147

Ed,

I'm not sure if it is the original colour. What is the best way to work out the original colour / interior? I assume it will be a code stamped somewhere?

Nick

UNICO

There is an email address (Alfa Romeo Italy) on this forum somewhere. (cant remember where) you give them the details of the car (VIN engine No. etc) and they will get back to you with all details of your car.

Ed

JOHN G

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

Joe Garra

I also live in Werribee and take my cars to Maranello PurSang in Brunswick. Worth the drive  :)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

urraco

Hi, welcome to the joys of Alfa Romeo ownership.
For information on original colour, trim and build date send your chassis number (the one stamped in the firewall just behind the engine head) in an email requesting information to --    centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com   
The reply is usually very prompt.

RossB
Now
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1972 2000 GT Veloce Twin Spark
Falcon XR6 Turbo daily driver

Gone but not forgotten
1964 Morris Mini Cooper 998cc
1968 Nissan (Prince) Skyline GT
1973 Jensen Healey
1974 Lamborghini Urraco 250S

boomerang147

Thank's for the tips.
I sent a message with the chassis and engine numbers through the archiviostorico website posted by john. Hopefully I will hear back soon.
Nick

boomerang147

Rough running appears to be a blown head gasket. After filling radiator then running engine a fair bit of water was coming out. Any idea what this will cost to fix?

spoynter

Looks good Nick  :) You might find (as I did) that the car is a late 1967 GTV, tipo 105.36. No doubt Marco will sort you out!

Got any photos of the interior?

IIRC there were only 12 stepfront GTV's produced in 1968 from what I've read :)

Davidm1600

Hey Nick, sweet, you lucky bugger getting a stepnose GTV.  I have a '69 1750, but know Sam's car, which he got from the ACT last year. 

Re, suggestions of who to take your car for work, Pursang from what I have heard are very good. There might be some others you wish to look at, check the club's website/mag for sponsors.

Re parts, like rubbers, lens, interior trim, etc etc, locally from my experience, Milano Spares (Marc and Mario etc) over in ThomasTown are good to deal with.  Overseas, in the UK, Classic Alfa (Richard Norris) is good to deal with, and posts promptly.  Alfaholics are also excellent not just for all the normal stuff but any go faster enhancement stuff (Max Banks runs the place with his dad Richard, and a bunch of other good guys).  Check out both these places websites.  In addition in the UK, there is EB Spares and Highwood Motor Co (Chris Applewood).  In the US there are a number of places who deal in Alfa 105 parts.  Best to check out the AlfaBB for the contact details (eg. Centreline, IAP etc).  Then there are dealers in Germany, Italy of course and Holland who can help out.  Also EBay is not a bad option for some spares.   

The rust looks a little nasty above the rear wheel arch and bottom of door but in truth, I've seen a lot worse and it is all fixable.

Re your head gasket problem, I would be allowing sufficient for labour costs as well as parts (unless you are able to do the majority of the work), but approx to fix the head gasket problem, hopefully somewhere around the $500-600 mark should do it, I think.  It is a while since I have had to repair one.  All the best with your GTV.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

boomerang147

Thank's for the advice guys!

I work near Thomastown, so will drop into Milano Spares in the near future. I am contemplating doing the head gasket myself and there are a few mechanics at work to give me advice. Can anyone suggest a good workshop manual to get? There is a Haynes one out there and I'm sure there would be others. I'm planning on checking / changing all of the bushes etc and most other mechanical work, to make sure it is safe and reliable. Would also like to fit seatbelts in the back at some stage.
I will post some pics of the interior in the next few days.
Nick