Price for Koni Yellows

Started by prova, February 02, 2010, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prova

Thanks Mat

I have experienced the effects of lowering a car previously which definately had some negatives (bump steer and suspension bottoming in particular) I don't intend on going over the top on the Alfa and thanks on the settings for the wheel alignment. I am trying to work through each aspect of the car in a considered and moderate way hopefully it will work out well - so far so good!

116gtv

sorry didnt realise your car was a late model. I think you'd be really impressed if you now add a 27mm swaybar ore even a 24mm upfront, and lower the front NO MORE so that the lower A-arms are parallel to the ground when under load (ideally pointing the slightest bit downwards at the wheel end..).

Mat's alignment suggestions are ideal for a road car IMO. Depending how keen you are, you can then mark the settings and adjust castor and tow yourself to see how you prefer it. some like toe-in others out. Max. castor will give you max neg. camber on compression around corners which not only helps front grip but also reduces outside tyre wear due to positive camber..

carjunky

Springs are now sold, thanks for the inquiries.

prova

Just an update on the suspension tweaks. I have sourced a set of rear PACE springs (thanks Carjunky!)and have organised a secondhand 90 front roll bar (thanks Dehne!). Was looking at the Whiteline Suspension website and they have a 'swaybar diameter conversion chart' which I found interesting. My original bar is 20mm. Have a look at the stiffness increases with only a marginal increase in bar diameter.

20mm changed to 21mm - 22% increase
20mm changed to 22mm - 46% increase
20mm changed to 23mm - 75% increase
20mm changed to 24mm - 107% increase

I'm thinking the 90 bar at 22/23mm should be all I need to balance the stiffer rear end. Can anyone confirm the exact diameter of the 90 bar?

Today I fitted a set of Peddars castor arm poly bushes. Pretty simple installation and massive increase in control and ride. To be fair my old ones were definitely past their use by date. The Haymes manual must show the earlier arms as they are riveted to the lower suspension arm. With these arms you have to count the threads and unscrew the adjusters to remove. My later car has a single bolt which made the job really easy. I wont get the castor angles checked just yet but instead wait until I lower the car, fit rear springs, etc and then get a really good wheel alignment.

Alfalfa

got my koni yellows put in today. exciting time! I still had the original shocks in. I'm very very surprised they hadnt exploded or anything after 28 odd years.

just had a little taste of them on the way home, promising stuff, reduced body and more grip  ;D

oh I can just imagine what these cars were like brand new, must've been ridiculous in for 1982!!
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

grpa9x

hi all,
who is a recommended supplier of these pace springs everyone talks about, i personally have not heard of them.
thanks michael

Mile Jurcic

Hi Michael,

Go to the sponsors section on the home page and you will find Pace Engineering. The contact is Vin Sharp and he has lots of goodies for Alfa's.

Cheers
Mile

grpa9x

mile,
thanks for the reply.
cheers michael :)

Mile Jurcic

Good luck, i hope you dont spend too much money. He has heaps of great mods for our type of car.

I have a wish list, which i control and then the reality list which the wife controls.

Cheers.
Mile

MarkB246

Hi Folks   With the current $A to UKPound it is worth checking with EB Spares in Westbury Wiltshire UK
http://www.ebspares.co.uk/
Cheers
Mark