Alfa Sprint as a new car?

Started by cheeseontoast, September 21, 2009, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheeseontoast

Hi all, I wanted to know what you guys thought of having an Alfasud Sprint as a first car?
It is a 1979 model, with 99000km, all stock parts with no oil leaks or problems, other than some light rust. If it matters it has a 4 cylinder Petrol Carburettor - 1.5L.
The only thing is, I'm quite tall at around 190cm, and was wondering if there are any taller Sprint owners out there? Might there be a way to lower/move the seat back, easily, legally, and cheaply?
Also, what about reliability? I know Alfas don't have the greatest track record, would I be better off finding something Japanese for my first car and getting an Alfa later on? I just can't get over the sexiness of it though...
Thanks in advance  :)

scuzzyGTV

having bought an '80 gtv as my first car, i'd say do it!
but being a first car with possibly a teenagers budget(?) it will be a interesting commitment, needless to say you'll learn a lot! dont expect great reliability from a cheap alfa, if you can afford it get the best ou can, but it is a car that you will enjoy when it goes well/hate when it doesnt.
anyway i'll let some more experienced alfa owner chime in on this one.
scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Frank Musco

Well, this is an easy one.

If you just drive from A to B, then buy jap.(I'm bored just thinking about it). But if you want to have some fun, you can't go past the Sprint. Just remember, "fun is directly proportional to cost". Fun can get very expensive.

The seat rails are mounted on about 10mm plastic washers to keep the rails from touching the carpet. These can be removed to lower the seat, although depending on the carpet, it can make the seat difficult to adjust, but at 190cm tall sounds like you should remove the drivers seat and just use the rear one! ?? The pedals are also very small and close together which I have heard people dont like.

Sprints are getting rare with those kind of kilometers and it sounds in good original condition, so if you fit in it, buy it.

If you do buy it, first thing, change cam belts, oil and oil filter, and regular maintenance will keep it very reliable. I have been driving 33's and sprints for more than 10 years and have found them to be excellent value for money.

Cheers Frank.