105 Engine Removal

Started by pep105, September 14, 2009, 11:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep105

G'Day,
Tried to pull the engine and gearbox out of the 105 on the weekend as one unit, but due to running out of time and other distractions had to abort.
I think the problem was I couldnt get the rear of the car high enough to get the angle desired. Has anyone tried this method ? My axle stands dont seem to go high enough, although after referencing the alfabb last nite realised I probably should of placed them under the rear axle instead of the rear jacking points (yes Im a baboon). Will give it another crack this weekend with a bigger set of stands from work, and more time. Any opinions welcome
Thanks
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Colin Byrne

Hi pep
   Defiantly do-able and is the way I used to do it, but now I defiantly separate the two as you are less likely to damage the engine bay paint work.
Few points that may help.
-   Assuming everything is disconnected (the brake vacuum tube at the back of the motor is easy to miss) the most important point is to drop the centre steering arm off on 1 side, otherwise it catch's on the flywheel. It will fit without dropping the arm but it's a lot more work
-   the engine does need a fair angle but it is usually pulled forward enough so that the back of the car doesn't have to be excessively high to do this.
-   I've found 2 pulleys/blockandtakle works well for getting the angle, especially if you are doing it by your self.  The main one obviously lifts up the motor whilst you use the second one to tilt the motor back.  Both pulleys can mount of the same point on the crane/roof and the other end of the tilting one can be attached to the front crankshaft pulley
-   Leave the wheels on the car as, depending on your setup, it can be handy to be able to roll it backwards whilst the engine is coming out

But again I would defiantly look at pulling the box off first, there are only 6 flywheel bolts and the 3 on the starter motor, a lot of which you can get to with a ratchet and the box isn't to heavy.  I've swapped these engeins a few times now (3 times on just the weekend before our first targa!) and there is no real big problems.  Hope that helps, let us know how you go
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

pep105

Thanks for the reply Colin

And theres the problem I disconnected everything except the centre steering arm, it was too late and we all had commitments for Sat nite plus the hoist i hired for the day had to go back as well as the ute from work !
Talk about tight timing.
Anyway I believe if I drop the centre arm it should come out (we were so close), failing that Ill just remove the box. Otherwise I could always cut the nose cone off and lift + slid it out like you could on a HQ - only kidding  ;D

The new 2 litre motor will go back in separately as the engine bay will be painted, unlike now when its coming out, few more scrathes on the engine bay wont be a problem with all the other body repairs that need to be done.

Thanks again
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark