My 84 GTV 2L EV Project

Started by TheConverted, July 30, 2009, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

LPG furnace and superheated steam with condensation recovery produces almost flat torque and heaps more distance between fuel stops. Produces much cleaner emissions than internal combustion engines due to a complete burn of the fuel which is cleaner to start with. Old but proven technology.

The concept is used in the most up to date power stations world wide.

Granted I haven't seen a a power station charging around on wheels lately but you get the idea... ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

NigelC

It pains me to see any car, especially an Alfa, turned into a coal-powered abomination. 

If the modifications to the vehicle would see it powered by hydrogen then maybe that could be seen as a potential step forward in technology but powering it by coal fired electricity is only one step removed from Borat's donkey powered Lada.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

TheConverted

Quote from: NigelC on February 19, 2010, 10:36:23 AM
It pains me to see any car, especially an Alfa, turned into a coal-powered abomination. 

If the modifications to the vehicle would see it powered by hydrogen then maybe that could be seen as a potential step forward in technology but powering it by coal fired electricity is only one step removed from Borat's donkey powered Lada.

Totally agree, which is why I buy 100% green electricity.
White Alfetta 84 GTV, soon to be a GTeV (Electric Vehicle)

MD

Seeing this topic is almost about green issues so I'll strech the friendship and ask the obvious question.

If we have so much natural gas that we export it by Niagra Falls volumes for peanuts only to buy expensive crude back for top dollar it begs the question.

How dumb are we??
Why dont we insist that all Australian cars run on our own gas and they can  jamb the crude?
It's a much cleaner fuel. Engines last for an eternity and we are not subject to stupid rise and fall prices like we are now suckered into. If you want to create new jobs and a whole new industry, it's got to be the one..

Now about this electricity..never seen it green.  ;)

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

TheConverted

MD, totally agree regarding CNG, most council buses around the country are using it. I believe it will be were we go when crude oil becames too expensive. It's all about the money in the end.

Maybe there should be another thread for this topic.

What colour do you see it MD?

MD

Thought I'd spice up you topic a little..but for sure this sort of stuff amounts to political issues and belongs elswhere.

...colourless.Bit like water  :D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

TheConverted

OK gents, next step is to make up the electric motor to bellhousing adaptor plate. To able to make this, I need to find the crankshaft centre line (both horizontal and vertical centres) in relation to the bellhousing.

Would any one have engineering diagrams for the bellhousing? Or can put me in the right direction of the diagram.

I have a way of working this out, but I not sure how accurate I can get my dimensions to be.

MD

I think you mean the rear engine mount?
116's dont have bellhousings.

Sorry, can't help with dimensions.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

TheConverted

Well it looks like a bell housing.

TheConverted

Just got my hands on a workshop manual, was hoping there would be a diagram of the 'rear engine mount' but no such luck.

Its in PDF format, Im happy to pass it onto others who may need it.

TheConverted

If any one  is interested in following this project, here is a link to an update I have on another forum;

http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=1815

As usual, all comments are welcomed.

MD

So how's the progress going with the GTeV ??

Personally, I would have simply fitted a motor cycle chain cog onto the clutch input shaft, got rid of the driveshaft altogether, mount your electric motor inside the cabin at the rear, cut a hole in the floor to couple the chain drive from the motor to the cog on the transaxle.

Fit the batteries in the front where the 4 stroke engine used to be as low as possible.

You now have an electric powered mid engined GTV 2.0

Benefits: No driveshaft, less weight, no steering rack issues in the front, strong and efficient drive system.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

johnnyc

god, what a waste of an alfa