My 84 GTV 2L EV Project

Started by TheConverted, July 30, 2009, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheConverted

Red Devil - its definately not the Fuel Filter/Regulator. Filter/regulator is after the fuel pump. But I did pull it apart to see how it works.

MD - I did pull the fuel pump out and tried the test you mention, but the pump return spring is too stiff to test by hand.
I couldnt work out how the fuel pump actually pulls apart, it looks like a sealed unit. I could see that  the spring and the actuator arm could be removed but the internals look like a no go. Please let me know if I am wrong in this regard. A repair manual diagram would help immensely. Regarding an electric pump, yes, definately considered this option, but the cheapest one at Super Cheap Auto was $95, and the cheapest one on Ebay was $57 including delivery.

Its not that I cant afford it, I am just a tight ass.

Sheldon - Interesting lesson, I having doubts about converting the GTeV now.....LOL

I also tried testing the push rod hanging from its hole in the engine, and turning the engine over with the start motor, but was unsuccessful in determerning if its moving and falling to the ground because of the engine pushing it or it falling down with gravity, its sits at an angle that just stays in its position without the fuel pump being bolt on. I had no one to help, otherwise I could have determine if it was ok on the engine side.

Ok, lets have a poll, who believes its just the fuel pump? And who thinks its on the engine side?

White Alfetta 84 GTV, soon to be a GTeV (Electric Vehicle)

MD

Why not contact the club members to see if someone will lend you a pump from the spare parts bin for Pete's sakes. Get dialling ! How much spoon feeding do you want over a stupid fuel pump man ?

BTW Forget the engine side. It's irrelevant. If you have a failure on that side, believe me you wont want to be starting the engine up at all.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mile Jurcic

Heres my vote. I agree with MD's last post.

TheConverted

MD, who is this Pete bloke? Is he a friendly, patient type? Do yor think he has a spare fuel pump I could borrow? And is he in Brisbane....LOL

TheConverted

Ok, after sourcing a fuel pump from ebay, i installed it today and she started up almost 1st go. The old fuel pump must have siezed up, becuase the spring on this new one (actually a 2nd hand one) was much easier to push.

So, if you have a fuel pump that is not pumping fuel, check how stiff the spring is. This maybe an in indication that it maybe siezed.

Anyway, went to a weighbridge today and it came in at 1160kg, with exactly 50/50 split.

TheConverted

Ok, time to sell all the engine related parts, see the 'for sale' thread;

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=3283.0

TheConverted

OK, most of the parts are sold (still some remaining), the engine is ready to be pulled out. I usually pull the engine and gearbox attached together, but I am very green to Alfa's. So the million dollar question. Does the bellhousing and the engine pull out together, separate, or either is possible? I'm guessing, separately, but would appreciate any tips that anyone can offer.

If I need to separate the bellhousing, how easy is it to undo the prop shaft from the flywheel?

Keep smiling

dehne

DISCONECT ALL WIRING/ACCESSORYS/TAILSHAFT/EXHAUST AND IT STRAIGHT OUT IF U HAVE ALL THE EQUIPTMENT CAN BE DONE IN 1HRS OR YEAH PULL THE RADAITOR OUT TO
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

TheConverted

Yeah, all accessories are gone, you  cant see from this pic but the all of the exhuast is out as well. Will the master cylinder be a problem being almost straight above the engine?

Havent really been under the car to have a good look around to see how the bellhousing and prop shafts all bolt up. I dont have a repair manual, was hoping to get some tips on best ways to pull it out.

Mat Francis

i haven't done a gtv, only sedans, but straight away i reckon remove the bonnet.

Prop shaft needs to be disconnected. don't be too scared, it's only 3 17mm nuts. There's a hole in the bell housing to allow you access to these. bell housing stays on. You will waste hours if you try to remove this. There has often been an earth lead from the bell housing to the chassis in my past experiences. Could probably just rip it easy enough when removing the engine, but for good practice take it off.

Master cylinder not an issue. Have to slide the engine towards the front of the car initially to get the bell housing out anyway.

Get a mate to help you. Attach the engine crane to the handle thing slap bang in the middle of the engine. Have one person guide the engine while the other operates the crane.

As Dehne said, not really a hard job. Younger brother and i did it in an hour and a half on our first try.

Feel free to add anything i have forgotten.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

dehne

i would completly remove the tailshaft or at least disconect completly and slide it back as ive tried doing one and only undone the front and ended up destroying the donunt then had to remove tailshaft anyway to back together ive done all my engines by my self but i mostly used the dog and chain as this was all i had available and a tree to connect it to dont forget the 2 bolts on the centre bearing if u are going to take tail shaft out sound like it should be out in 15mins though
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

TheConverted

Thanks gents, I was given advice to unbolt the bellhousing before pulling the engine out.

I do have an engine crane and I will make it abit easier for myself and remove the bonnet...lol

Access to the 2 bollts that connect the propshaft and fly wheel is easy then?

And I will watch out for the earth cable.

The info is much appreciated, thanks.

Keep smiling

BradGTV

79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

TheConverted

Not much progress at the moment, due to other things in life getting in the way. I still havent had a chance to look under there to assess what is involved.

The engine is ready to come out, the main concern of mine is how easy/difficult is the propshaft is to unbolt from the flywheel. Im told that the donut thingy is easily damaged when removing the propshaft.

dehne

undo the back of tail where it joins gearbox 3 bolts undo the 2 centre bearing locators and then the 3 where it joins the fly wheel (bolts only) use a screw driver on small jemmi bar to pry it off gearbox then just wiggle it off the front
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past