My 84 GTV 2L EV Project

Started by TheConverted, July 30, 2009, 11:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv152

WHY??!!!!!
I hope it is just for fun and your not going to say anything about the environment and emissions!.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

TheConverted

Why not? And yes, it is about the environment. And the fact that I can (hopefully) do it.

White Alfetta 84 GTV, soon to be a GTeV (Electric Vehicle)

alfagtv152

How are you going to recharge it?.
Did you try blowing back to the tank from the front,it may have sucked in the sive in the tank.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

TheConverted

I'll anticipate your response by saying, I buy green electricity. Even if one doesnt, still better off with electricity than petrol.

Andrew wrote;
QuoteHow are you going to recharge it?.

If that was a genuine question on how I am going to charge it, you can either have an on board charger in the car or a charger connected to the 240AC outlet in your garage.

Sorry to sound like I am on the back foot and by responding in a aggressive manner. Im anticipating some opposition to my project, which I  have no issues with. I enjoy the challenge.

TheConverted

Argh! Good suggestion, will look into it on Sunday.

Is that common a occurance with GTV's?

AGM155

What a fascinating project...have you heard about the electric Fiat X1/9 in SA?

If not there's an article in the current Victorian Fiat Club magazine about it, if you like I could scan it...not much about the installation but some pictures and an enthusiast's perpective of what it's like to drive.

Having an older car on electric power is a pretty cool way of having your cake and eating it too, I reckon

Good luck with it.

TheConverted

Thanks for the wishes mate, may need all the luck I can get.

No, I havent heard about the Fiat. I'll google it and find out about it.
If anyone is interested, there is a great video blog of a few here is Oz.

If anyone is interested;

It may get you very interested to start your own project.

sykoticgtv84

Hi mate I am interested in doing the same conversion on the same car and I am in Brisbane too please pm me I would love to get some info from you and your experiance would help me alot. 

TheConverted

I have narrowed down the problem definately to the fuel pump today. Pull the fuel line away from the fuel tank, and blew compressed air down the fuel line, no blockage. The fuel tank was definately not blocked either.

So its either the fuel pump or the recipocating mechanism in the engine that moves the pin/rod that moves the fuel pump mechanism.

So what is the likelyhood of the problem being on the engine side??

AGM155

X1/9 article, scanned from the Fiat Club newsletter.

TheConverted

Thanks for that, great read. The Fiat X1/9 would be an ideal conversion. Performance would be dramatically increased if in the future he changes over to LiPo batteries.

Red Devil GTV6

Fuel filter sits near the right rear wheel.

I picked up one for about $14 from local Super Cheap. Takes about 15mins to replace. One thing i did realise was that it was put in the wrong way by previous owner. Hmmm

Anyway good luck.

MD

Hey Converted,

Why not simply test your pump off the engine by manually activating the push rod and attaching some suction & discharge short lines to it. Stick the suction in a can of fuel and activate the plunger. If it doesn't pump, it needs a new kit.

If you can't afford a new kit, I got serious concerns about your project..

Failing that beg borrow or steal an electric pump, fit a low pressure regulator (2-3 lbs) to the carby supply line and see if you are getting fuel into the carbs. If so, the sucker should run if you got ignition too.

(refit the mechanical pump to keep the oil in but dont hook it up for fuel)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Can't you just borrow a fuel pump off one of your other Alfas for the trip there and back?

What's that?  It's your only Alfa?  Welcome to lesson one....

MD

QuoteWelcome to lesson one....
-just love it. :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0